Herpes Community
Whats the diff between hsv 1 and hsv 2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Whats the diff between hsv 1 and hsv 2

What does it mean if a blood test is....
HSV 1 IGG=4.19
HSV 2 IGG=0.05

Does that mean genital herpes? Please help me, this is causing a fight between me and my boyfriend bc I keep yellin at him that he has herpes bc of rumors in my town. These are his test results
HSV1 is oral, however, it can spread to genital via oral sex.
HSV2 is genital and can but unlikely spread to the mouth via oral sex.
Any result over 1.09 is positive. So he is positive for 1, neg for 2. But where his 1 is I dont know, does he get cold sores? Or sores anywhere near the genitals (stomach, thighs, scrotum or penis).

The real difference between 1 and 2 is the location it resides. No real difference in the virus itself. 1 resides in the nerves near the ear and 2 resides in the nerves near the spine.
I should note that some people are asymptomatic (no signs/symptoms for up to years)

Your boyfriend does have herpes.  But I doubt he has gential (genital) herpes.   He has oral herpes from which 60% of the population has.   HSV-1 (oral herpes) is not an STD per se, most people get it as a child from drinking cups or things of that nature.  I have oral herpes (had since childhood).  Please continue to educate yourself about HSV1 and what it means for your boyfriend and yourself (You should get tested for HSV-1).    If  your boyfriend does have gential (genital) herpes he would have known by now as an obvious appearance of lesions near his gentials.   As NervousNanxious said, you can get gential (genital) herpes from HSV1.   But really its HSV-2 that you don't want to get, this is the classic herpes that IS considered the STD.

Enough with going along with the rumors in your town;  talk to him directly about all these matters and ignore the rumors.
1. HSV IGG test cant tell the location of the virus.
2. Swab test only prove the location with virus type
3. Its not likely what numbers more than 1.10 is positive
HSV Type I IgG Antibody: (Negative: less than 0.90
                                Equivocal: bet 0.91 and 1.09
                                Low positive: bet 1.10 and 2.87
                                Mild positive: bet 2.88 and 4.34
                                High positive: above 4.35)
HSV Type II IgG Antibody:(Negative: less than 0.90
                                Equivocal: bet 0.91 and 1.09
                                Low positive: bet 1.10 and 1.54
                                Mild positive: bet 1.55 and 3.09
                                High positive: above 3.10)
so who ever in low positive need reconfrm test as per expert.
4.If your boyfriend has virus 1 on genital area then its very low Viral shedding and outbreak beacuse as NervousNAnxious said the resides nerves is not the right nerve for virus but its still be there.
5.(NervousNAnxious) The tow virus are different.
6. As JessyJames said 60% adults have this virus.
Well his doctor explained his results to him, because he was freaking out and he said that he was fine, he does not have genital herpes and needs to stop worrying. The Dr. said the reason Type 1 came up positive is because of his childhood of getting cold sores and infections. He said he was fine and needs no further testing, so should I stop freaking out and causing arguements between us? He has no symtoms (symptoms) anywhere, nor has he ever..

"so should I stop freaking out and causing arguements between us?"

I think you know the answer is yes.
statistically 1 out of every 2-3 people you've ever known in a lifetime has hsv1 whether they get obvious cold sores to know it or not.  

have you ever been tested to know your own herpes status?

the rumor mill is rarely accurate. You've talked to your partner about what you heard and he showed you his test results. not sure what else you expect out of him?

grace
Thank you to everyone and all the help...It means everything to me