Aa
A
A
Close
Which Test Should I Take?
I was tested twice for HSV. IGG was negitive for both 1 & 2 and IGM was a low positive both times. 1.52 & 1.90. My exposures happened in October. I just ordered a western blot test that will arrive next week. Before I go pay $280 for the test I was considering getting the herpeselect test re done since my insurance covers the cost. Does this sound like a waste of time?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
IGM is useless. I would disregard that altogether. It's not accurate for HSV and can detect other viruses and is known to have false positives.

I would test via herpeselect since your prior HSV IGG tests are negative. Why do a western-blot at this point?

A WB is typically only used when an IGG result is in the low positive range or equivocal range. If you have had 2 clear negative tests via IGG, I don't think a WB is necessary.

When were the prior IGG tests conducted?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Prior IGG tests were done with herpeselect. Back in November of 2013 was my first test. October was when I had been with someone who tested positive for HSV2 by a swab on his finger. That was the first and only place he had ever had an outbreak.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources