Herpes Community
Whitlow

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Whitlow

I have been diagnosed with Herpes Whitlow, located on my right middle finger. Due to this my girlfriend has suffered the consequences. She got her first outbreak just recently. We have been together for over a year and I have had the whitlow for probably longer without knowing. At first I thought it was just a cut that would not heal do to constantly using my hands. But it healed and later came back without hurting my hand. I believe I got the whitlow from picking up drink glasses and beer bottles off of tables because I have no other idea how I could have contracted this.

My girlfriend and I are also planning to have a baby in the future. My question is Can I give this to my child, can I give this to myself, can I give it to others?
Tags: whitlow
How did they diagnose you as having whitlow? Is it hsv1 or hsv2?

Has your gf been tested? if so, how?

grace
HSV1 is above the waist and HSV2 is below i believe. I never had an actual test, how can you be tested without an outbreak.

I went to the doctor after over a year of this problem on my finger. My finger constantly had a small lesion on it and would rarely heal. When I went to the doctor there was not a lesion (go figure) but he said by the sounds of it that it was in fact whitlow. Also he mentioned if before the lesions happened if there were small yellowish/whitish puss filled bumps around the infected area. I never did notice them but after the doctors office before a "outbreak" I there were small bumps then a day or two later there was a lesion.

When my girlfriend and I were on vacation she had her first outbreak large puss-e lesions all on her vagina/labia. Her lymphnods on her thighs were also painful. She was not tested but by just looking at it the Dr. diagnosed it as herpes.

We are very concerned about passing this onto our child.
No, hsv1 is not above the waist and hsv2 is below the waist - you can have either anywhere.  I'm not quite sure how you were diagnosed with whitlow when no one even saw the active lesions present.  Sounds more like a guess to me than anything else.   You can get a herpes blood test to see what your status is. It won't tell you what you have where but it will tell you what you have at least.  I also think you need a 2nd opinion on what is going on with your finger. Try to see a dermatologist when you have active symptoms for a culture to confirm whitlow and which type.  It would be unusual for it to be a frequently reoccuring issue for a year. Most folks just get it now and then, not frequently though it can happen.  

Same goes with your gf. You can't accurately diagnose herpes by just looking at it.She too needs additional testing to confirm her status. Also usually herpes doesn't have puss associated with it which is one more reason to confirm her diagnosis.

I recommend at this point you both get type specific herpes igg blood tests for starters.   I can help you with the results of the blood tests when you get them if you need it too.

grace