Herpes Community
Who has herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Who has herpes?

I've been going through a difficult time dealing with my body.
For one, I had cervicitis followed by a urinary tract infection, and now one small blister in the vagina area in the time span of 3 weeks back to back...talk about luck. :(
Tomorrow, I'm going to a clinic to have the blister tested for herpes.  

Is herpes a very common std?  I only know a couple of people having herpes.....
Anyone know active support groups for people with herpes?

Thanks!
1 out of every 4-5 people under 50 have genital herpes. it is very common.

going to be seen is the best course of action. if they suspect herpes, a lesion culture and typing can be done.

do you have a regular partner?

grace
Hi Grace,

I just came back from Planned Parenthood. The yeast is normal and had a culture taken for the sore.  There was 1 open sore.  It could be anything, so the best thing to do is take Valtrex while I wait for the results...just to be safe.  My question is, if my yeast was normal, could I still have herpes?  Also, it was one small sore. I heard from people of herpes being big and I would have had a temp over 100.  So, I'm going to take the normal yeast as a positive note. I will know in 1 1/2 weeks about my results.  Thanks!
do you have a regular partner? if so you should both follow up with type specific herpes igg blood testing to see who has what too.
Hi Grace,
    I have 1 more week to wait for results from the culture test.  I have a regular partner. He use to be married and if he ever had Herpes, it would have showed up on her because she has a VERY week immune system and is dying. It would have Def. shows on her.  Therefore, if it's anything, it must have been from my past.  PP also told me the blood test isn't correct most of the time, especially when having chicken pox when I was young. I'll update when I know something.  Thanks again Grace for your reply.
It's crazy...blood test not being accurate.  I couldn't do a culture because the OBGYN didn't have the culture dish my insurance reqs.  And from what I've read, if this is a recent infection, one would have to test again 4-5 months later  to be sure.  SMH
in your case, you would have to wait for another sore before having it looked at again.  That is the tricky part about genital herpes...  
- of what I understand about the virus, but you could ask Grace if you have questions cause I'm not an expert
I know right.  *le sigh*

If you're on FB consider looking up Bueller's Kitchen.  I'm a bit of a health nut and believe in how foods can help heal the body.  The page owner has/had HPV and hasn't had a flare up in years.  I don't follow her to the T b/c I still have some junk food urges but I do my best to toss out the bad and intake the good in excess.  Regardless of how things are, we should treat ourselves better from the inside out.
Thanks for the suggestion!  I workout about 5-6 times a week and train with a personal trainer, so I'm watching what I eat.  I'll check it out! :)
you can't assume anything about your partners status from his ex partner. he'll need properly tested to know his own status too.
Hi Grace,

Planned Parenthood called me this morning and said I'm positive for HV2.  I had to ask her three times for the test results because I couldn't believe it.  She told me that I could of had this virus for many years and my sore was very mild, so hopefully I won't be getting anymore.  If so, I'll just take the Valtrex when I feel it coming.  My current partner has worked with patients with HV2 and is very understanding.  He use to volunteer with doctors', so he understands completely.  He told me that I'm not dying and things could be worse, so just be glad that I know and move on.  My mother knows now as well.  She is understanding.   I told her that the internet shows the worst of herpes and to be honest, the virus is portrayed very differently than what my case is like.  I'm shocked and trying to accept what I have.  It is upsetting because I don't know who gave this to me.  Any good tips or advice about living with HV2? Thanks for all your support!  Now, I feel like shopping lol
well  not the news you wanted to hear but now you have answers at least.

when will your partner get tested to know his own status?

I can tell him to get the blood test, but because he's had the chicken pox virus twice, he could test positive.  So, we're not sure if he should get the test done.  He's been exposed to hsv2 if its from me since September and he doesn't really care if he gets it, he said. He has access to treatment etc.  He's been very cool about it...more cool than me. I've been trying to get out of bed to make it to the gym since 10 A.M. (going to do that now)
and here is the question from the new post:
I'm not educated about oral herpes and transmission....
Can you get oral herpes (HSV-1) from oral sex?
or hsv2 around the mouth area from oral sex?
no, his having chicken pox in the past will not have any affect on his type specific herpes simplex igg blood testing!!!!   He needs to get the testing done - you two can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what!!  

can your partner contract your genital hsv2 orally if he performs oral sex on you?  if indeed he is hsv2 negative himself, he can but overall the risk is low.

I just told him to get the blood testing done.  But if he had hsv2 and I did oral on him, could I get it in my mouth?
not likely at all.

Thanks!
I have another question for you...
I was tested positive for a UTI and then I formed the sore (I believe), so would this UTI be associated with a primary outbreak?  
I'm just afraid that passing urine will hurt for every outbreak...it was the worse pain ever.  :(
your symptoms really sound like a newly acquired infection. recurrences will be much milder.
Whenever I have any pain urinating, I will get the over the counter UTI test and get the medication right away.  I NEVER want to go through that again.  It was hell on earth!  
I'm concerned with having breakouts during my cycle.  Should I wait for my cycle next week and see if I have an OB and have Valtrex on hand?  Will I have painful urination for every outbreak?  This is all new to me and thank you for all your help.

you shouldn't expect to have painful urination with recurrences routinely.

I wouldn't bother with the otc uti test. if you have pain with urination and no obvious herpes lesions, be seen for proper testing at your doctor's office.

only time will tell how often you have recurrences.  don't hesitate to consider daily suppressive therapy so that you are actively reducing the odds of recurrences.
I will consider suppressive therapy depending on how many I have. Right now, I am only going to take the Valtrex if I feel the OB coming...which for me, I believe will feel like a horrible rash..cause that's how it felt for the first one. I want to thank you so much for all your help.  You are amazing!  I will come on and update you in the future.
Back to original posting...

The discharge was exactly like the primary outbreak discharge.  It was tested at Planned Parenthood with findings to be nothing wrong with it.  I seem to just have it when I get a sore.  Nothing itches, burns etc.  The discharge decreases once I take the Valtrex.  I used the corn starch and I like it.

Will I always have outbreaks every year with my cycle or does it eventually goes away in the years?
only time will tell.
I'm going to get order my records from Planned Parenthood to bring to the doctor covered for my health insurance.  Or I'll ask if I could bring just a copy of the results to show them.  I could talk about treatment with them instead of getting the medication else where.  I would like to have a doctor on my side through this.  I don't know which medication they'll put me on.  I get free health care from the state because I work part-time while attending school.  
Do you know if a doctor can just view the test results as a copy or do they need the actual record? It might take a while when I order it from Planned Parenthood to get the main record.  

What are the best herbs for genital herpes, so I could make some tea.
I'm going to cut out all soda etc... changing what I drink too.  
And how is lysine?  Thanks
no herbs are effective for herpes.
lysine isn't effective for herpes.
there is no such thing as the herpes diet either.
have you read the free herpes handbook yet that we recommend in our read before posting post on the forum?

I will be reading the handbook as soon as things calm down with work.
I also made an appointment to see the doctor about suppressive therapy.   Thanks!
sounds like a plan :)
On Friday, I felt like my vagina was burning and thought I would go to Planned Parenthood to have it checked while I got the HIV test (which was negative)...
They don't do exams on Saturday!  So, my symptoms of a yeast infection get worse.  Now I have cottage cheese discharge and burning of the vagina.  I am using Vagisil and Ibuprofen to conquer the pain until Monday.. I called Urgent Care and it would cost $200+ of which I don't have that.

The question:
Can a herpes outbreak resemble a yeast infection without any sores?  
Reading handbook now
chunky discharge is yeast and not herpes.