Herpes Community
Why didnt it show up in my blood test results??

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Okay so early last year or even late 2009 (dont exactly remember the date because i thought it was nothing.), i got what i thought was a boil on my left pinky knuckle. As a child i suffered from boils. So naturally thought it was a reoccurance. Then March of last year, i got a really tiny bump on my left pinky knuckle, same spot. I only noticed it because i knocked my hand on something and the tiny bump hurt really really bad. The tiny bump turned into 3 clear looking bumps with yellowish puss around them. I went to the er cause the pain was unbearable. He gave me a visual diagnosis. Said it was Herpetic Whitlow. He asked if i worked in the dental field ir anything of that sort. Because they usually see this in dentist or dental assistants. Which i do neither of the two.

Since then i have had about two more episodes. Just not on my knuckle anymore. Its on the same finger but on the palm side. Everytime ive gone to the derm to check it out, its already dried and "crusted like". So really nothing can be done until i get another outbreak. But when i looked it up myself, i have all the signs and symptoms: a slight throbbing pain before any bump appears, that red stream down my arm to my finger, itchy, PAIN LIKE A MUTHA$#@&*, swealing, cluster of ting bumps, and puss.

I never had cold sores. Ive been tested for all stds, including herpes, by my gyn and all came back negative. My question is, if i did a blood test for all stds, including herpes, why did it come up negative? I know i was only visually diagnosised, but wouldnt it have showed up in my blood work? Is there a special test i should ask for? I know i can get the puss from my finger cultured, but is there any test i can do while i have no signs or symptoms to know for sure its herpatic whitlow?

At one point i was gonna have a culture done, but it was being done by a P.A. and she used an incorrect syringe, so the puss in my finger was lost and she pricked my skin underneath, which caused it to bleed. So i was unable to get any results.

Also, where could i have contracted this from? Been with the same guy for 7yrs and he as nothing. (He also goes for test every year). Can i get it from touchy the belongings of an infected person? (In the field of work that i do, i do this frequently)(and im sure at one time or another, ive forgotten to put on gloves) so it is a possiblity i got it that way?

Thank You
HateThisPain86
Hate it so bad sometimes i feel like cutting my finger off!!
P.s. sry for the lengthy post.

unfortunately there isn't a test you can do without symptoms to confirm whitlow.

I know it's frustrating but the best you can do at this point is be seen every single time you have symptoms for further work up. Visual diagnosis is a start for treating but you need it confirmed to be sure it's what is going on.  Talk to your dermatologist about having the supplies at home to do a pcr swab the next time you have a recurrence.

grace
Hi and sorry you have this. The treatment for Herptic whitlow, (caused by Herpes I or II ) is zovirax or acyclovir. It is a prescription and you can take pills or cream on the affected area. Perhaps when you had your blood tested you hadn't developed an antibody to the organism yet. It is usually found in health care workers, especially dentists. You could have also gotten it from a partner that has HSV I or II. You should get retested and get a prescription for treatment.
hope this helps. It is possible that it could be a Staph infection because of the pus. But if it comes back try again to get it cultured from a different doctor perhaps a dermatologist or family practise. But I would get retest for HSV viruses as well.
mkh9
mkh9