Herpes Community
Worried about HSV from Oral Sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Worried about HSV from Oral Sex

Hello Dr. Handsfield and Dr. Hook

Im extremely worried about my situation. Im a 44 year old male, on 12/8/2012 I received unprotected oral sex from a girl I had met a few weeks before. We did kiss for a while before receiving unprotected oral sex where she was a little rough on my penis as it was sore for a few days after but everything seemed fine. On a side note, when I eat spicy foods my penis tends to burn for a day or two then it usually goes away. On 1/28/2013 I had a normal doctors appointment where I mentioned my penis is burning which may be due to eating hot peppers a few days earlier. My doctor asked if I had been with a new sex  partner lately I did tell him about receiving unprotected oral sex  on 12/8/12. He took a look at my penis and said he does not see anything unusual but we can run a STD test if I wanted. I was tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, HSV1, HSV2 which all came back Negative which was only 51 days after possible infection.  The reason why Im extremely worried is that the head of my penis has been red for over  a week or so and feels hot at times but it does go away for a while then comes back. It does not seem to hurt while urinating but it does sting burn afterwards at the tip. Historically, the tip of my penis tends to be wet for some reason and its been like this for years plus when I strain on the toilet I tend to have a white discharge from my penis which can be liquidy or more solid at times but again it has been this way for years not sure if its exactly normal but it does not hurt or burn during discharge. On 2/6/2013 my penis was burning really bad as well as my scrotum they were both red but the problem with my scrotum went away the next day.  My throat has also been sore where I also developed white spots on my tongue and back of my throat and both sides of my tongue towards the back seems to hurt. Again, my doctor said its nothing and it will pass on its own. I also went to a Ear, Nose and Throat doctor where he said it looks like a viral infection and gave me steroids (MethylPREDNISolone)  to take for 6 days and said he does not see anything that relates to Herpes or any STD. I also saw a Urologist on 2/7/2013 where he also said that he does not see anything wrong with my penis but didn't seem to know why its burning and said if I had Herpes there would be blisters on the head of my penis. As for the burning he said it will pass and did a urine analysis which came out clean. But at that time the burning had stopped and most of the redness was gone.  He also checked my bladder and said it was fine. Everyone seems to think there is nothing wrong but the burning will not stop. At times the stinging and overall burning stops but the right side of my penis tip burns really hot where it seems to be the exact spot where the bruise was the day after receiving oral sex. I've also developed a bad lower back pain for the past week but again I do have back problems in general but again I really am worried about HSV2 since Ive read online that it causes back/spinal pain. I also received unprotected oral sex from my girlfriend of 4 years the day before going to my doctor where I did ejaculate and she did swallow. If I do have HSV 1 or 2 does this mean she is infected as well? This guilt is killing me. I haven’t slept in over a week and when I do sleep I wake up with night sweats.  Test results as follows from Quest Diagnostics:

HSV 1 IGG Type specific AB = 0.64 (Negative but seems high to me)
HSV 2 IGG Type specific AB = 0.05
HSV 1 IGM Screen = Negative
HSV 2 IGM Screen = Negative

Are these numbers low because the tests were done only at 51 days even though the HSV1 figure seems high?
I did have this same kind of burning feeling on my penis about 12 years ago where it ended up being a reaction to the spermicidal condom I had used where another urologist had given me these pills that made me urinate red and the problem went away in about a week but as I said above there was no condom involved in this case. Im going crazy thinking about this. Should I get another HSV test? Is it really possible to be infected with HSV 1 or 2 from receiving unprotected oral sex? There are a lot of conflicting information on the internet. I was also thinking, since we kissed for a long time, wouldn't I have blisters on my lips if I did catch HSV 1/2 rather than my penis burning?
When I had met this girl we did talk about this sort of thing where she did say she was clean but what if she doesn't know that she has something. She did not have visible sores/blisters on her lips. Im just scared and worried and feeling very guilty about my girlfriend as we just got back together in early January.

Thank You for you time. I look forward to hearing from you.