Herpes Community
Worried!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Worried!

I have had hsv 1 since I was a little kid, and throughout my life I have broken out once in a very great while with a coldsore. I have a 20 month old who has been having bizarre rashes in his diaper on and off for about 3 months. I have taken him in twice to the pediatrician and the first time they thought it was foot and mouth disease (because he had a pus-filled sore on his hand, on his shin, and on his hip)...and those went away....but this rash on his penis keeps appearing and disappearing for 3 months and it's really weirding me out. It doesn't seem to bother him and the pediatrician doesn't seem to be worried but I'm type-a and the not knowing is really bothering me.

It wasn't there last night but when I was changing him tonight the underside of his penis had a rash and it's bright red and in the rash it looks like there is 2 tiny sores. When I've typed in the description on the internet, herpes keeps popping up (which is only freaking me out even more)....and I've had this question in the back of my mind for a few months but I've just been following what the pediatrician has been saying...but it's not going away it keeps coming back. The idea of this being what it is makes me nauseated and so upset. I have never once kissed him when I've had a breakout (I've only had 1 since he's been born)... and while I'm not perfect about hand-washing I am certainly not horrible at it. I would never forgive myself if I accidentally transmitted this to him while changing him....but I am scared to death to ask his pediatrician because everything I am reading on the internet says if they have it then you are molesting your kid- and I'd sooner slit my wrists than ever hurt my child!!! I want to ask the pediatrician but is she going to look at me like I'm some kind of a lunatic? The only thing I can think of is that I can't imagine hsv 1 would come and go for 3 months....I've never seen any oozing or crusting in this rash he's had....the rash on his penis has always just looked like a puffy red rash, stay for a few days, then goes away completely, then comes back.....this is the first time its ever looked like there has been any type of sore in it...but even tonight when I looked it didn't look like it had anything in it or like that, he also has a cold right now so I don't know if its related, I'm really lost. This just makes me want to bawl. He goes to daycare so I know he is around other people who probably have it or other kids...but I'm just sick about it. Does this ever happen with toddlers? I thought he had had a coldsore on his mouth a couple of months ago, I wasn't sure if that is what it was or if he bonked his mouth while playing.... I am not sure if he could have transferred it? He does grab himself whenever he gets the chance. How do I ask? First time mom-forgive the freak out I am just very concerned.
Tags: Herpes, rash, sores
It looks exactly like some of the pictures of impetigo online.........maybe that is what it is?????
take your child to be seen again.  mention your concerns so your pediatrician can tell you face to face that you are worrying needlessly ( usually more comforting than strangers online ).  We NEVER have the kind of contact it takes to transmit our oral herpes to our children's genital area and you are indeed worrying needlessly.  

diaper rashes are quite common in children and indeed they can get quite blistery looking.  even if you have been using the same diapers and wipes , they change what they use in them all the time. try something as simple as using washcloths and plain water to cleanse the diaper area with changes instead of commercial wipes - sometimes that really helps. also fungal infections in the diaper area are very common too which is why taking him to be seen is a good idea.  

really, no reason to think you gave your son your oral herpes!!!

http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  if you've never read it yet - this link is helpful for general precautions with oral herpes too.

grace
Thank you for your advice Grace...I really do appreciate it. I had to kind of laugh this morning because when I changed him this morning the rash that was there last night was completely gone....again! I don't know why it keeps appearing and reappearing on such a constant basis-its weird.

The internet can be a great place for information but also a place that will completely freak you out as it has me. I have read so many things where it pretty much makes it sounds like anything you do you can give it to your kid so sometimes when I don't have the answers I get really freaked out. The pediatrician, both times she's seen him has told me its nothing and that if it was really serious or something of concern it would have manifested into something much worse than a rash that appears and disappears at will. Based on the foot and mouth disease breakout we've had in kids his age where I live, I wouldn't be surprised if it started out as that.

Thank you again for your advice!!!