Herpes Expert Forum
Worried

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Worried

Hi doctors and thanks in advance for your kind answer and I'm from Argentina so sorry for my English. I'm worried since yesterday because I started feeling a burning pain in my left leg, just in a small area between the hip and the knee on the inner side of the muscle. When i'm sitting down in my office I normally cross one leg over the other, and I don't know if this burning pain is due to irritation caused by the contact of the skin with the trouser or because is the first symptom of shingles. when I check my skin I don't see any visible signs of redness or anything and the burning pain is just when I touch my skin or I frot it with my clothes. No pain when I'm still or I don't touch the area with anything. Does the shingles burning pain is constant or intermittent? does it hurt even when you are not touching the affected area? I'm worried and terribly scared because 7 1/2 years ago I had a possible exposure to hiv virus and I read that shingles might be one of the first symptoms and even discover you have the virus because of this. I know I must test and I already asked in the hiv forum regarding this. But please could you clarify this shingles question for me?
Thanks again for your patience
Well, first of all, I would recommend that you get an HIV test and put your mind at rest or deal with HIV if you should happen to test positive.  Finding out you have shingles can be happening for lots of other reasons than HIV infection.  

I don't know how old you are and whether you have real risk for shingles.  
Have you ever tested for genital herpes?  Herpes can show up anywhere between waist and mid-thigh.  The skin sensations that you describe could be happening for many reasons, but it could also be caused by genital herpes or shingles.  

If you notice any skin lesions that look different than the skin around it, please go in and have it looked at right away so you could receive treatment as quickly as possible.

I've learned to pay attention to people who say to me "this skin feels really different", even though we don't see anything right away.

So in my mind there are two issues here, whether you have shingles or not and whether you have HIV infection or not.  The later is really easy to sort out, the first one, whether you have shingles, may have to wait to be sorted out until the skin changes (or doesn't).
Terri