Herpes Community
Young and Confused HSV1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Young and Confused HSV1

Hi! I was diagnosed with HSV 1 for 4 months and in those 4 months I have had 3 outbreaks. My outbreaks are all the same, I get one really painful lesion in the same spot that goes away within about ten days. I have been taking falters daily 1 mg for about a month. I am freaking out about the frequency of my outbreaks and would like to know if this is normal and if the frequency will decrease. It's been affecting me socially and keeping me from wanting to date from fear of rejection. Can anyone give me some insight about my particular condition and also give some tips on how to tell future partners
Thank you so much in advance
Valtrex not falters , autocorrect !
autocorrect keeps life entertaining :)

how were you originally diagnosed?

have you been back again recently for testing for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally and to have your newest symptoms looked at?

grace
Grace, I have ocular herpes since literally birth. However I never had any issues with self inocculation until my first outbreak which was excruciating to say the least. I had no idea what it was and the first doctor I went to told me it was a fungal infection. After going to a second opinion I was diagnosed via a culture swab. I went to my doctor again a few days ago and he switched me over to valacyclovir 250 mg twice a day.  I'm just wondering if out break frequency is supposed to subside or if I'm stuck with this ...thanks so much in advance !
so your lesion culture was hsv1+  or did they also do blood testing?

that is the wrong dose for valtrex.  

they need to recheck you for vaginal infections too at this point.
I had my first outbreak in February. I had 2 sores on my vag and it was extremely painful. My blood test came back negative though, and the next month positive for hsv-2. I was prescribed painkillers because it hurt so bad the first time. The next month I had an outbreak in my anal region, and that is where I continue to have an outbreak every month. Oh yeah and when I discovered I had it, I also had a yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis, which is quite common. I started dating someone before I knew what I had, but we hadn't had sex. When I thought the results were negative, we had been having sex for a while, then I found out I was a positive a month into our relationship. I could not tell him right away because I didn't know how. 2 and a half months into our relationship he brought up herpes in a conversation and I kind of avoided it and changed the subject, then he asked me if I had something, and I told him. He was very accepting, and already loved me by then so he accepted me. He is the absolute love of my life, especially to still want me after knowing I have this disease. He wish I had told him sooner, but understands why I could never just bring it up. He got tested, and didn't get a call back so that means he is in the clear. We just got lucky I guess. And we do want children together so he said he accepts it if he contracts it. So things are great. I have now had it for 4 months, I still get a little down about it, and it is uncomfortable, but I'm learning to deal.
My doctor told me that I would test positive for HSV 1 regardless due to my ocular herpes anyway so she diagnosed me based on my lesion culture. Sorry, once again autocorrect!! What I meant was famciclovir, as you can tell I'm all over the place with my thoughts
Do you think it can be both bacterial vaginosis as well as outbreaks?
Thanks for the reply!
I'm so happy you found someone whose so accepting! I think the scariest part for me is actually telling that person...I come from a tight knit Russian community where everyone knows everyone and I'm so scared that if I tell someone I'm dating they'll tell someone else and then I'll just have a crappy reputation. Which in retrospect seems silly but it still bothers me
so was the lesion culture + for hsv1 or just + for herpes?  just wanting to make sure that you had the right testing done.  

you also didn't transmit your ocular herpes infection to your genital area either.

bv presents without symptoms about 50% of the time but it can trigger herpes to be more active. I'd definitely get tested for that to make sure it's not further complicating things.  

Telling someone is the hardest part. I feel like its even worse than actually having it. Just make sure you get close enough to the person that you trust they won't tell everyone about it.