Herpes Community
acyclovir or valtrex??
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

acyclovir or valtrex??

My question is which anti viral drug is better or is it different for everyone, as when i first started medication i was using acyclovir which healed much quicker and stopped all tingling and itching.

Now for the last 2 outbreaks i have used Valtrex which it seems to stop the outbreak spreading but takes longer to clear up and itching and tingling is still around.
3149845_tn?1386354841

Hi, The below is a reply from Grace to a similar question. I could not attach the post so i cut and pasted it. Hope its helps.

"Valtrex is an acyclovir prodrug. What this basically means is that you swallow valtrex and your body converts it into acyclovir inside your body.  Because you get more of the active medication in your body that way - you don't have to take it as often.  The advantage of valtrex is - less pills to remember to take so a greater chance of actually taking them.  There isn't any other real difference between them."  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...