acyclovir or valtrex??
My question is which anti viral drug is better or is it different for everyone, as when i first started medication i was using acyclovir which healed much quicker and stopped all tingling and itching.

Now for the last 2 outbreaks i have used Valtrex which it seems to stop the outbreak spreading but takes longer to clear up and itching and tingling is still around.

Hi, The below is a reply from Grace to a similar question. I could not attach the post so i cut and pasted it. Hope its helps.

"Valtrex is an acyclovir prodrug. What this basically means is that you swallow valtrex and your body converts it into acyclovir inside your body.  Because you get more of the active medication in your body that way - you don't have to take it as often.  The advantage of valtrex is - less pills to remember to take so a greater chance of actually taking them.  There isn't any other real difference between them."