alternate treatment?
so i was diagnosed with herpes almost 4 years ago but have not had a breakout in a couple years now. I have recently had a breakout and it is the worst one ever. i dont have insurance so valtrex is out of the equation...any ideas?
if you have a prescription from your provider, you can get a round of acyclovir for $4 at walmart to treat ob's when they occur.    If it's been more than 72 hours though since your recurrence started, not much bang from your buck to be had from antivirals at this point.  

you can try something as simple as soaking in the bathtub with epsom salts thrown in for comfort. dermoplast spray ( the blue can for the genital area, not the red can ), is also helpful for pain relief. It's a topical anesthetic you can spray on for pain relief.

other illness can cause your herpes to reoccur. also bacterial vaginosis especially can trigger herpes to be more active. if your ob isn't better in a week or so or you start to get frequent recurrences, be seen for a proper exam and testing for vaginitis even if you don't have odor or discharge. about 1/2 of all bv infections are asymptomatic so it's worth proper testing sometimes.  also I didn't read your posts on the other forum but certain medical conditions and medications can make you more prone to recurrences. you might benefit from daily suppressive therapy ( under $20/month for acyclovir at walmart with a prescription ) depending on what else is going on medically with you too.

grace
thanks so very much this was extremely helpful