Herpes Community
antiviral drugs to prevent herpes infection with 3 days of possible exp...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

antiviral drugs to prevent herpes infection with 3 days of possible exposure??

hey i made a stupid decision and had sex with a prostitute, with condom but I am paranoid i might have gotten something like herpes-2 that i will have for the rest of my life... it was 2 days ago, if i take antivirals or something right away like they do with HIV needle pricks, can i kill the virus before symptoms occur or is it too late?
thanks
too late.

grace
from wiki:

Several studies in humans and mice provide evidence that treatment with the antiviral drug Famciclovir soon after the first infection with herpes can significantly lower the chance of future symptomatic outbreaks of herpes. Use of Famciclovir in this manner has been shown to reduce the amount of latent herpes virus in the neural ganglia.[5][6][7] A review of human subjects treated for five days with Famciclovir 250 mg three times daily during their first herpes episode found that only 4.2 percent experienced a recurrence within six months after the first outbreak, a five-fold decrease compared to the 19 percent recurrence in acyclovir-treated patients.[8]
Despite these promising results, early Famciclovir treatment for herpes in this or similar dosage regimes has yet to find mainstream adoption. As a result, some doctors and patients have opted for off-label use. One suggested regime is Famciclovir at 10–20 mg/kg per day for 5–14 days, with treatment to commence as soon as possible after the first herpes infection(not the first symptoms or outbreak), and the most effective time for initiating treatment to be five days or less after the initial herpes infection.[9]

so there.... now i cant get an appointment with a doc to get this stuff prescribed, and who knows if they will even prescribe it... that we cant just go to a store and buy medicine for our own health without it being controlled is a shame
so there?  

It was a protected one time encounter so it's not really even worth treating for herpes. Odds are you didn't contract it in the first place.

If you have further questions about the information from the wiki article you quoted I encourage you to pay to post to Terri Warren here on medhelp. She doesn't often go to her webmd board where you also posted this if I recall.  Include the link to the wiki article if you do because she'll need to be able to reference the references in the mouse models that have been since pretty much refuted in human studies that the article refers to. Also there have been updated trials on the antedotal evidence that is also quoted in that article too that refuted what they presented 13 years ago. Wiki isn't the best place to get info from.  

grace