Herpes Expert Forum
are these symptoms herpes?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

are these symptoms herpes?

Hi Terri I posted a few months back but now I have a different constellation of symptoms.  There are several linear slightly raised red lesions that are on the shaft of my penis that seem to go along my skin folds.  I have been putting bacitracin on it thinking that it was from vigorous vaginal sex that I had about 8 days ago.  I do recall a cut being there the day after sex.  But they have been persistent now for many days and it looks like the number of lesions increased and I was thinking that if it was just a cut that it should be healing by now.  They sting slightly especially when it is rubbing against something and I dont' see any other raised lesions.  Do these sound like herpes to you?  Everything I've read on the internet doesn't talk anything about linear genital lesions as being herpes except in immunocompromised patients.  Thanks for your input.
It is too early for completely accurate testing, yes.  If you have lesions, a swab test would be more accurate at this point.

Terri
If there are breaks in the skin that are persisting, I think you should have these evaluated and tested.   A clinician looking at these in person would have a far better idea if they might be herpes or not.  But breaks in the skin in the genital area should always be evaluated to rule out herpes.  Do you know your herpes status and that of your partner?

Terri
Both of us are getting tested today.  I don/t think she was ever tested for herpes but she's never had symptoms or cold sores, and I had a completely negative screening in June.  My first sexual encounter with this new partner was in early June.  We have had sex about 4 times since that time, last one about 11 days ago.  Is it too early for me to get blood tests?
It is.  However, if she is negative, you're likely home free.

Terri
Hi Terri,
My blood tests were negative.  My partner's came back as follows:
HSV1 IGG 3.88
HSV2 IGG 0.04

How should these be interpreted?  She has never had symptoms, oral or genital.

My symptoms have gotten worse over the last few days.  Part of my foreskin is red, very inflamed, and swollen and very tender.  I did go to an urgent clinic yesterday and was prescribed antifungal medications.  Seems to be getting a little better now.  But is it possible that these symptoms are herpes?  Can HSV1 manifest as severely painful swelling and inflammation of foreskin?  Thanks
If you take the antifungal medicines regularly and for as long as prescribed, and things get much better, then I suspect the diagnosis of a fungal infection is correct.

Terri
Hi Terri, over the last week or so, things have gotten much better.  The area is no longer painful at all and only has some slight dark discoloration of where the inflammation used to be.  Most likely this was a yeast infection correct?  Other thing that I noticed when things were really bad was that there was this yellowish clumpy discharge from the raw areas.  

My last question is on HSV1.  I was thinking about this and the possibilities are that the girl that I was with (since she has never had any symptoms) is an asymptomatic carrier of oral or genital HSV1.  But since majority of Americans infected with HSV1 are the oral kind, I am kind assuming that she had oral HSV1.  My last intimate contact with her was about 14-15 days ago.  And the last few days I have been having a low grade fever and this burnt sensation on my lips.  Do you think this is an onset of a oral herpes breakout?
Forgot to mention that there is this area of slight redness on the philtrum part of my lips, hasn't really changed for the last several days.  
I wouldn't know if your symptoms are related to herpes or not.  If you want to know, I would suggest that you see a health care provider in your area for a swab test, looking for herpes virus.

Terri