Herpes Community
asymptomatic - should I test?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

asymptomatic - should I test?

Eight weeks ago I (a female) had a sexual encounter that involved unprotected cunnilingus and fellatio, and brief genital touching.  My partner was never tested for herpes and is asymptomatic; however, he has had sex with hundreds of women so it's extremely likely that he has both HSV-1 and HSV-2.  Basically, I'm freaking out at the realization that I exposed myself to herpes without protection.

I have not noticed any symptoms, except for two 4-day bouts of "flu" that occurred within a month of our encounter.  Can I trust that those were not indications of an HSV infection?  Should I get a blood test, even though I have had no oral or genital symptoms?  I would feel terrible if I decided to forget about this, only to later transmit herpes to a future partner.
you really have no reason to suspect you contract herpes from this encounter. you had a fever soon afterward but no obvious genital lesions. hsv1 would've been your risk from this encounter and odds are you would've presented with very obvious and "classic" symptoms if you were infected.

really no reason to test from this encounter.

grace
Hi Grace,

Thanks so much for your response.  Just to clarify, by "genital touching" I mean that our naked genitals DID come into direct contact, if only for a few minutes.  That kind of contact puts me at risk for HSV-2, no?

Thanks again.
you can contract hsv2 from skin on skin contact but the risk of such is incredibly low.  even the risk of contracting hsv2 from a one time unprotected encounter of hours that includes penetration is very low and not worth testing for in general without symptoms.  
Thanks for the help and reassurance, Grace.  I'll try to stop freaking out about this.  On the plus side, I'm much better informed about herpes and other STIs now.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers