Herpes Community
being exposed to herpes but the test was negative.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I was involved in a lesbian relationship for 3 years. Recently she cheated on me and i found out she has herpes and I was exposed, however we had relations the day before we were both tested so I am concerned the risk of contracting herpes from another woman who has never had a outbreak. I went back a month later and was retested she said my exposure was gone and my test was negative however was that enough time to determine from the last time we had sex? I am going on monday to get tested again but I am so paranoid that I have herpes now from her cheating on me and being positive, and she is the carrier.
she is positive not me. the exposure is what scared me. as soon as i found out she was cheating i had us tested. while i had got tested and came up exposed, had her tested and she was postive, i got tested again and everything was negative but we had relations the day before i was tested and im terrified that it didnt come up because all of this hasnt been very long. please somone help me!!!
is your partner hsv1 or hsv2+?  

what testing did you have done?

grace
hsv2
any chance you can get her herpes testing results to post here for me - e.g. hsv1 igg 4.3 and hsv2 igg 4.5 - to make sure she was properly tested and doesn't need additional confirmatory testing done?

I don't mean to add to your pain but was her other partner male or female?

her partner is a female... however the girl was exposed also.. my ex partner doesnt know how she contracted it, she swears she hadnt been with anyone else. i will ask my doctor if i can get her results next time i go to her. i go monday to my obgyn for another test im just terrified because i am dating a woman now and if i am positive she has stated that we cant go any farther then friends and i know i will run into that a lot
now her girlfriend has been tested and is pregnant but has been tested and her test was exposed however I am not sure if she is positive or not. My doctor said you can be exposed but not be positive. Which is what my test was, how is that? She really didnt answer all of my questions, but i am just scared that since we did have sex recently will it come up already? and what are my risk, she says she has never had any outbreaks but how else would i have been exposed? this virus really confuses me!!!
There is no such thing as "exposed" to the virus.  You either have it or you don't.  Unless you are talking about an encounter to which someone had and outbreak.  

Your doctor has some outdated information on Herpes.  Did you get her results?
no i havent been back to my primary doctor yet. So how did the first test come back with traces of exposure but my second test came back negative? This has been such a stressful situation.
your doctor can not give you someone else's test results!!  it's going to have to be your prior partner getting the results and giving them to you.

we don't have stats on hsv2 transmission rates between women. it can happen but it's thought the risk is low.  

you and your new partner certainly should fully cover your bases with std testing before becoming intimate - just wait to do it at the proper times for you both.  hsv1 is more of an issue for lesbians so both of you knowing your herpes status is important for that reason as well as cover all std bases in general.
ok so Grace. my igm was postive but my IGG was neg.. then they both came back neg so what does that mean
the igm herpes test is a greatly flawed test and your provider shouldn't have even drawn it on you. current CDC herpes testing guidelines specifically advise against its use too.

totally up to you if you want to repeat your herpes igg blood test 3 or 4 months after you last had sex with your partner. the risk of transmission in general and you've not had any symptoms. If you were completely hsv negative prior to contracting hsv2 odds are you'd have very obvious symptoms you wouldn't have missed so odds really are you don't have it.

keep asking questions!
obvious symtoms (symptoms) would mean break outs or some sort of bump or sore?
yes - painful , red and/or itchy sores that you would've taken notice to.
do they last long? I  have had bumps, like hair bumps or what I thought could have been a pimple but it was there just a few days.
a newly acquired herpes infection will hang around for about a week or so on average.  

should you get any new symptoms,be seen and follow up on them. otherwise nothing to do but follow up on blood testing if you need the peace of mind.
Grace I havent been tested again yet, but I havent had any kind of issues minus just burning but that was from a UTI. I get tested next.... Do you believe it most likely will be negative? Or is there no telling?
i mean next week... we havent had contact since December.
Chances are you will be negative.  But get the testing for piece of mind and move on once it comes back negative.  Feel free to post your results with us if you need help.
i freakin hope so lol..i go today at 130 i will def let yall know as soon as i get my results. I really appreciate all the help
so about two weeks ago they said my herpes 2 was negative... so i am guessing that the first time when the 1 and 2 came back positive (the levels were like a point high she said) it was just a false positive bc the last 2 test have been negative. thanks for all the help
congrats!