Herpes Community
can hsv1 be transmitted by whispering along side the cheek

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My status is Negative. My wife's status is negative. (hsv1 & hsv2)  A friend of my wife came within about 3 inches of my wife's cheek and whispered and laughed against my wife's skin. We do not know her (the friend) status. What we need a clear answer on is:  can a person transmit hsv1 just by whispering near the cheek at about a 45 degree angle?   There was no "skin to skin" contact in the event experienced by my wife. We presume that "skin to skin contact" involves only  kissing between the carrier and the person who doesn't have hsv1, is that correct?    Lastly, what is required for an asymptomatic carrier to transmit if he/she is shedding?
we have discussed oral herpes a zillion times now on this forum and several others.  I wish you would see that this is a completely abnormal fear and needs professional help, not posting on these forums.

this was absolutely not a risk for your wife.

grace
Thanks grace, we culled through a lot of your previous answers to us and to other people and came to the conclusion that you reenforced:  not a risk. I am so glad you responded.  Thank you. Thank you.    
We are grateful for your help. One additional fact should have been included in my question but I doubt it would have changed your answer. Would the fact that my wife's cheek was chapped make any difference in your previous answer?  

Thank you, again.
nooo it wont make a difference
Thank you for your response. Your help with this is greatly appreciated.
Grace, Thank you for all your expertise over the past 3 years. As you have answered previously we understand that HSV1 is not transmitted from someone breathing out of their mouth. I'm wondering if when the virus is in the mouth and is in the mucus membrane if it takes the working of the mouth, via kissing, to work enough virus loose to possibly result in transmission?  If that is true, then that, to me, would explain why the virus is not even airborne when someone is speaking. Have I come to the right conclusion?  Then if a lab tech, for example, is drawing blood and talks over the sight of the needle placement sight then no virus would fall on that "break" in the skin and then no virus would be pressured into the "break" when a small pad of gauze is put on the "break" . Am I still on the right track?  Thank you.  
Grace, Thank you for all your expertise over the past 3 years. As you have answered previously we understand that HSV1 is not transmitted from someone breathing out of their mouth. I'm wondering if when the virus is in the mouth and is in the mucus membrane if it takes the working of the mouth, via kissing, to work enough virus loose to possibly result in transmission?  If that is true, then that, to me, would explain why the virus is not even airborne when someone is speaking. Have I come to the right conclusion?  Then if a lab tech, for example, is drawing blood and talks over the site of the needle placement site then no virus would fall on that "break" in the skin and then no virus would be pressured into the "break" when a small pad of gauze is put on the "break" . Am I still on the right track?  Thank you.  
Grace, I wanted to post a note to Ben144 but did not do so because I didn't want to interfere with your guidance.  I will remark that the reason such questions about HSV1 (oral) are asked is most likely because the answers about transmission, etc., have generally left the door open for "other means of transmission" when we do not see a definitive:  this is the only way it is transmitted. I believe that transmission requires direct "person to person contact between a person who has a cold sore or a person who is shedding via that person's saliva" but the door of uncertainty remains ajar when comments are made about towels, drinking glasses/cups, eating utinsels, etc.
One more question:  why is HSV-1 not airborne by our speech, etc.?  Inspite of the statement of what a lab tech would have had to have done  to even expose my wife to HSV-1 (touch my wife with a cold sore) when she drew blood from my wife, my wife thinks the virus could have been carried from the Tech's mouth through speaking and that the virus might have landed on the hole where the needle had been and that when my wife was holding the gauze pad in place she might have been putting pressure on the virus and that she might have been infected.  That was over 80 days ago and no infection has shown up.  That is why I asked the question in my Dec 19th posting.  Please fill in this blank.  Thanks, Grace for all the advice you give to help all of us.