Herpes Expert Forum
can i move on now...

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

can i move on now...

Dear Doctors,

K so Ive been frequenting massage parlors (csw) and have had protected oral and vaginal never anal on about 6-7 different occasions. what brings me here to this forum is the last encounter i had. It was all routine, step in undress do my thing and get cleaned up. She used alcohol to clean off my genital area which was i think way too much. well about 2 hours later i started to have some pressure at the tip of my penis and i started to freak out. so i went to the bathroom and cleaned it off again with some water and paper towels. The problem continued to persist so the paranoia started to kick in. I started to constantly examine myself spreading and stretching everywhere on my penis and the problem just kept getting worse. So 2 days post encounter i couldn't take it anymore and decided to go to the ER. Visual and urine tests were taken and nothing was wrong with me and the doc prescribed me some ciproflaxin and i was on my way. I stopped messing with my penis and the pressure seemed to go away after about 2 days but it would come and go especially when i was trying to sleep. i tried to get it out of my head but i couldn't so i went to go see my GP (8 days post) and told him about all my past encounters. He gave me a shot for gonorrhea and gave me some doxycycline HYC for chlamydia just in case. Had a full panel std screening and everything came back NEG in about 5 days. So i was somewhat relieved but i knew that an IGG herpes test could take up to 3 months to test positive so the anxiety is still there.
My questions
1. is 21 days without any lesions a good sign?
2. Ive read on a couple sites that not all people show symptoms (some site stated only 10%) with your experience is this true.
3. if Ive not had an OB can i give this STI to my girlfriend? We now condoms cause im paranoid.
4. Is soreness a sign that im going to have an OB (persisted for about 5 days now)
5. Can i start having sex again with my GF unprotected.

Thank you
I'm unclear about whether you had an HSV blood antibody test along with your full STD screen.  Did you
Assuming your initial antibody test was negative for the both HSV 1 and 2.  
Twenty one days without a symptom is a a very good sign, yes!  
It is also is true that many people who get herpes don't have symptoms that they recognize, but if you tested negative at this baseline visit, and you are watching very carefully for symptoms, I think you would notice them now.
Is you are partner aware that you are having other sexual partners?  I would say that if she is unaware of the potential risk to her or she is not OK with it, then condoms are a must.  Condoms reduce transmission of herpes by 30%, so that's far from perfect.  so your question about when you can have unprotected sex with her depends upon lots of factors, including her consent and awareness of her risks.
I'm not clear that the soreness has anything at all to do with herpes, it could certainly be present from frequent checking and prodding around down there.

terri
Oh I forgot to add that the base of my penis on the left side is kind of sore. I thinks it's due to me constantly checking and fidgeting around there ( vie always been kind if sensitive down there) it's been like that for about 5 days and I've started to use cetyphyl with some relief. It just looks kinda leathery but it's not red nor do I see any kind of vesicles of any sort. Oh and the 10% is for people who do show lesions.
Thank you
Yes I was tested for both hsv 1-2 and both were negative. My gf and I have been on a on and off bases. With this ezperience though has made me realize how much I do need her and I'm unwilling to give up so easily and go on a so called break. She has also been tested for everything and she's clean.
Oh and for the soreness, I've been using cetaphly for about 3 days now and the soreness is pretty much nonexistent. Just checked again right now and my genitals look quite normal.
The soreness doesn't sound like it is related to herpes to me, but good to get retested about 4 months from the time of your last possible exposure to infection.

Terri
Thank you for the usefull information. I think I will test again later on.
OK, sounds like a good plan.

Terri