Herpes Community
can shingles cause false pos hsv2 virology test?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I had shingles before, and thought i was having an outbreak again. went to my dr within 3 days of the first signs. (flu like symptoms/pain/started a rash) OBGYN did blood work and did culture b/c she thought that it was herpes. blood tests came back neg for hsv1 hsv2 but the virology came back positive for hsv2. BUT: i have severe pain in my right leg to where i could barely walk, sensitive to the touch from hip to toe as well as muscle/joint pain. All these symptoms i had before on a previous outbreak, only difference was the rash was on my tailbone right buttcheek area last time.
The rash is on the right side of my inner thigh this time, vulva. It looks alot like what i had last time. to my knowledge, this is all associated with shingles and NOT hsv1 or hsv2...am I wrong?
Dr said that my blood test came negative because this is a new infection and i havent had the opportunity to create antibodies yet. She said that the virology is the most acurate and that it wasnt shingles. But can having shingles cause a false positive? I also read that dr. tend to lump hsv and herpes zoster (shingles) into the same testing group?? is this true?
how old are you?
how were you originally diagnosed as having shingles?

do you have a regular partner?  if so, have they been tested for herpes yet to know their own status?

shingles rarely reoccurs. no real reason to think this is shingles.

grace