Herpes Community
chance of catching genital herpes through oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

What are the chances of a circumsised male catching genital herpes through oral sex from a girl who has the virus but shows no symptoms i.e. no cold sore ?

and to go into detail it would be oral sex with ejaculation inside the mouth

im sorry, this is embarrising but I really want to know and appreciate your help very much thank you
is this different from the encounter you posted about last month?

ejaculation doesn't matter when it comes to risk.

grace
there is no risk unless you have unprotected intercourse with this partner :)
there is a risk for hsv1 genitally from receiving oral sex whether there is an obvious cold sore or not.

grace
regarding your question, Yes this is different from the encounter i posted last month.... I am trying to find out the risk of catching herpes through oral sex.... most doctors say you can ? how likely is this?
ejaculation has nothing to do with risk.

what is your own hsv status?

you can contract hsv1 genitally but overall the risk is low.

perhaps you should only be having protected oral sex if you are going to worry like this?

grace
i have never had any symptoms of cold sores or genital herpes I am just wondering if I should be worried about contracting herpes through unprotected oral sex or not ? and what are the chances of contracting it through unprotected oral sex ?

many thanks
most folks who have hsv1, don't get obvious cold sores to know it. You can't assume you don't have herpes either orally or genitally until you've been tested. Until you know your status, no way to ***** your risk.

grace
ok lets say the girl has herpes whats is the chance of her passing it to me and giving me genital herpes through unprotected oral sex ?
ok that is what im tryin to figure out. i have herpes and this guy dat really likes me wants to go down on me and i wont let him cause of my problem like can he get it by oral sex and what is the percentage of him getting it.
You should start your own thread to ask questions.

To answer your question.  If you have HSV genitally yes he can get it from having oral sex or vaginal sex with you. Avoid sex during outbreaks and the risk is lower.  If you have HSV-1 genitally it rarely reoccurs.  You can also get on antivirials that will help in lowering the risk to your partner during times when you do not have an outbreak but are shedding the virus (viral shedding)

I would invite you to read the Herpes handbook which can be found on http://westoverheights.com/

Further questions you should post your own thread and we look forward to helping you.