Herpes Community
cold sore and oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

cold sore and oral sex

I am recently back into the dating secene after a divorce.  Met a great guy who recently became intimate with.  I just came off of a cold sore outbreak.  Everything was cleared up.  Looked great.  Went to see my guy last night, was intimate with him and had oral sex.  Upon retuning home that night I noticed a red bump on my lower lip.  I take daily zovirax for suprssive therapy.  I am freaking out that I have really done something to make this go from bad to worse.  HELP ME sort through this....
has your partner been tested for herpes to know his own status?

if you are on suppressive therapy all the time, it's going to be hard to test for hsv2 on yourself too in between partners. just a fyi.

grace
I am unsure about my partners status.  And I do see your concern about my testing with supressive therapy.

My issue is that with an outbreak that occurred within hours of being intimate what is the liklihood of passing this to my partner?  Especially being on supressive therapy.  I literally have 1 sore on my lip.
does this look more like a cold sore today?  sometimes irritation from performing oral will make things look more prominent.

definitely talk to your partner about this. Just be open and honest about it, find out if they've ever been tested and go from there.

if you didn't talk about full std testing before now, might as well do that too!
It is red, has a center, my lip is swollen but it is getting better as the day goes on.  But won't that happen with suppressive therapy?  It is not a cluster if bumps.  It is a singular bump.
If your partner already gets cold sores (oral HSV-1) then he really isn't at risk for contracting it genitally. Sure, performing oral sex when you have a cold sore present is playing with fire a bit, but as Grace said, now is the time to figure out what both of you have and don't have. Your partner, like most adults, likely has oral HSV-1 as well and isn't really at risk, but if he can't remember having a cold sore then testing is necessary. When you have a cold sore present with or without suppressive therapy the viral load is going to be much higher than when no sore is present.