Herpes Expert Forum
concernearlytesting

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

concernearlytesting

Hi, thank you for your time.

I am a 27 year old male. I received unprotected oral sex from a sex worker.
19 days later I got tested for the following which all came up negative:
Herpes IGM
Herpes HSV-1 IGG
Herpes HSV-2 IGG
Syphillis (syphilis)
HIV
Chlamydia
Gonnorhea (Gonorrhea)

I am worried that I tested too soon for most of these.
Which ones should I test for again and when?
I am especially worried about herpes as I have had some redness on my penis with a few scratches along with itching in my scrotum area (as well as some flu like symptoms or maybe this is stress related). Not too uncomfortable, but I have read that symptoms can be very light.

Two other questions:
1) I know it has been mentioned about many false positives for IGM Testing. But what about false negatives for IGM? And if false negative for IGM, if I do have it, would'nt I have been IGG positive since I believe it is IGM antibodies followed by IGG antibodies? Is there a lag between the my body producing the two?
2) If I do end up having herpes, what are your thoughts on daily lysine intake?

Thank you
IgM herpes testing is simply unreliable in general.  I would not recommend that you repeat it at all.  However, you are correct, the herpes test was done early in the course of things, and should be repeated at about 4 months from exposure to be considered the most accurate.  Also, the HIV test was done too soon and the syphilis as well.  I would wait a couple of months for the HIV and 90 days for the syphilis, or you could do them all together later.  I think your risk for any of these is very low, however.  Receiving oral sex is not risk free, especially when it comes to commercial sex workers.  But the risk is certainly lower than intercourse, especially unprotected intercourse.  

I hope follow-up testing goes well for you.

Terri