Herpes Expert Forum
confused about all different information.

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HI, my partner, a male went to the doctor for dryness, cracking skin and raw skin after as he put it a very long non lubricated  masturbating session. He was on an antiobiotic for oral surgery three times a day for two weeks and was recently diagnosed with high blood sugar. The doctor very quickly examined him and said it was a yeast infection because of antibiotics and high blood sugar. The hypochondriach he is he went online and had a full std panel done and had an igg test done at labcorp. all stds were negative except hsv2 at 1.45. Neg for hsv1. All info is confusing. I did read Dr. Edward Cooks forum stating that nearly 2/3 of low hsv2 positives were false positives and through biokit or Western blot were confirmed to actually be negative. He is a distiguished award winning Dr. that has extensive knowledge and published articles. The I read the igg blood tests ar 98% accurate. What do you believe? There has never been a primary outbreak except what i said above. None of the commen symptoms that we can see. Should we test again, should we be concerned and where can you get accurate information rather than lay people spouting off things that they think are true. The facts please. I would be so grateful.
At the level of 1.45, 85% of the tests are false positives.  The percent of false positives vary depending upon the index value (in this case, 1.45).  Your partner needs a herpes western blot to determine if he is truly infected with HSV 2.  He can get this test either by having his doctor contact the University of Washington lab (google herpes western blot UW) and have a kit sent or I can order it for him through Quest labs.  Right now, those are the only two options to acquire a herpes western blot.  I differ on using the Biokit as a confirmatory test.  It is pretty good, yes, but for a life long condition diagnosis, I prefer the absolutely best test, the western blot.

Let me know if I can be of more help, OK?

terri
Thank you for your answer. I appreciate my partner contacting you. It is a shame the medical community is less knowledgeable than I am with a couple of days on the internet. How would I arrange for you or your clinic to order the Western Blot test to put this behind us for good. I feel better knowing my chances are 85% negative. Thank you so much.
You can call the clinic and set up a brief phone consultation so they can become a patient of ours and we will order the western blot.

Terri
Hi.  I've been reading a lot of posts and i'm confused about HSV cultures.  Does HSV-1 react to a culture?  And if so, can the culture tell the difference between HSV-1 or HSV-2?  My husband swears he's been faithful, but I just received a positve culture for herpes and the blood test value was .09 which I thought the doctor said was neg. He wants to repeat it 2 wks post outbreak and it will probably show a high value.  The doctor also said that this was the initial outbreak for me and that the transmission to me was approx 10 to 14 days before I saw the sores.   Could my husband of 17 years been keeping his infection a secret from me all this time and I just got lucky I didn't get it sooner?  Or has he been unfaithful?  Another question comes to mind.  Right around the likely time of transmission, I used a razor of another girl to shave my pubic hair and cut myself near the opening to my vagina.  Could I have received HSV-1 or HSV-2 this way?
Get checked out again too be on da save side