Herpes Community
could it be herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

could it be herpes?

i have been suffering from a weird type of redness and itchiness on my penis head for the last 2 months... sometimes when i urinate, it burns. the redness sometimes subsides with creams and talc, but recently, id say for the past 4 days, the redness wont go away. when i masterbate, rarely, it goes back to being red. i dont see any sores or cuts or bumps, but the redness and the itch really has me worried. does anyone have the same symptoms? does herpes stay that long with just redness and itch without any sores or bumps?
have you been seen yet and had this looked at?

is it likely it's herpes? no it is not.

grace
Greetings grace. So with herpes, is there a point where a break or a sore WILL appear ? I have gone as far as putting rubbing alcohol to feel a burn to indicate a break/sore in the skin... Nothing. Just redness and itchy from the entire head and a little under the head. I was recently diagnosed with prostatitis...
you should never put rubbing alcohol on your genitals!!! The skin there is too sensitive and you are doing more harm than good by doing that.

if you've been on antibiotics for your prostate infection, it's most likely a fungal infection but be seen for a proper exam to find out for sure.
Wow... Ur amazing. As a matter of fact,  I'm on doxycycline for a month... Never the less I will go to my derm tomorrow...  But one more question, if in fact I was having an outbreak, or had blisters on my penis, would I feel them with the rubbing alcohol?
odds are the neighbors would've heard your screaming had you put alcohol on open herpes lesions.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
YOU are tooo much... Thank you for your advice and comments...
i will definately keep u posted with my dilema.
u really had me laughing  HARD>>.
Greetings ... well, as i said i would keep u posted, i went to my derm this morning and explained my dilema of the redness and itch. i also mentioned that maybe i had genital herpes. the derm took 10 second look at my penis and told me that it was not genital herpes. he explained that if i was in fact having a herpes outbreak, i would definately know it. i explained that i put alcohol to feel any burning and that my rash gets better during the day then comes back. he began to laugh and called me insane. he gave me an Rx for Hydrocortizone and told me to lay off the rubbing alcohol. what is my next step?
laughter is the best medicine and every health plan covers it :)

I'd give the topical steroids a try for a few days and see if they help with the redness.  If the redness and itching gets worse while using them, stop their use and give the dermatologist a call back for further suggestions.   if this is just irritation or a contact dermatitis, the topical steroids will help.
Greetings Grace... Final question... So may someone be experiencing an out break for 2-3 weeks WITHOUT a lesion or blister? I don't quite understand the process. I keep looking for a sore even under a flashlight.  I promise no more rubbing alcohol.
put away the flashlight!!!  

usually you have obvious lesions with your symptoms when you have herpes.

at this point, no real reason to be thinking herpes.
Happy Holidays grace...
You stated that you were diagnosed with prostatitis. What exactly were your symptoms for the docs to make this diagnosis? Did they perform any test on you to make this decision?
Yes... Bacterial infection in semen. Swollen prostate. Urologist told me so.