Herpes Community
do I have a cold sore

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

do I have a cold sore

I got these tiny bumps a few days ago. It doesnt itch. it does feel dry and its only one bump. When i look at it up close its got this tiny black line in the of middle of it. I know your not suppose to pop cold sores so i haven't tried to see if its a pimple. It is also warm to the touch. Ive been using carmex and icing it so after three days it doesn't seem like it is going to start cracking but it is sore. Can it still be a cold sore?
It does sound like a cold sore. Cold sores are Herpes type I. Most people have HSV I by the time you are an adult. No you do not want to rub a cold sore it will just spread. Best thing is to get a prescription for Zovirax ointment as the over the counter stuff only works temporarily and then it stops working. There are also oral antiviral meds but this one has worked for me. You want to put it on when you first get a feeling of tingling or burning until it goes away. It takes about a week or so to clear up on its own. Usually they hurt and don't itch. I don't know what the tiny black line is. But I don't think it is anything to worry about.
actually these don't sound like cold sores at all.

I recommend to go and be seen by your provider for a proper exam to find out what is going on. it could just be very chapped lips but it's best to be seen and get a proper exam.

have you ever been tested for herpes to know your status? have you had cold sores before?

grace
i have never had a cold sore before. It is just one bump. It started off like a small pimple that would not come to head. it got bigger and now it is just a hard bump. it looks a little white when I stretch my lip out with my tongue. I have never been tested for it. I am a little embarassed to go to my college doctor because they can be a little judgemental so i am just trying to get some imput beforehand
this doesn't sound like a cold sore at all. cold sores are not hard.  no reason not to see a provider since this isn't a std going on.