Herpes Community
do i have herpes type II

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

do i have herpes type II

I had sex with a stripper first oral and she finished with vaginal for roughly 30 seconds during this time the condom came off. Since then I had one episode of less than 30 minutes of tingling in my penis. I have also noticed a slight burning sensation on the outside of my penis. It seems to be in isolated spots though not all over. I have noticed one small red pimple; not white or pus filled, on the side of my penis head, I have not noticed any sores; painful urination etc.
This too place roughly 17 days ago. I had a STD panel done all came back negative except the Herpes Type 1. Which showed a score of 3.5. May question is can I place any confidence in the negative for the type II also wjhat should I do about the positive for type I? Do I need to tell everyone I have herpes. I have read up to 80% of people test positive for this so what is the point in disclosing.

Please advise.

Have you had a swab taken of your penis since the symptoms began? This is the most accurate way to diagnose if you have hsv1 or hsv2 on your genitals. Although a lot of people have hsv and aren't aware, it is still your responsibility to tell people if you know for sure you have something.
No a swap has not been taken only the blood test. Doesn't there need to be some sores tec to get the swap test done.

Doesn't type one only relate to cold sores? Which I have never had one.

You do need to get a swab when there are symptoms, but maybe even the small red pimple. It's unlikely but when I was diagnosed with hsv1 it was a tiny red pimple like sore that the doc said was unlikely to be herpes.  Type 1 is the 'cold sore' virus but can be present in the genitals, its usually transferred by receiving oral from someone with cold sores but can also be transfered from genital contact, altho its less likely. Hope this helps.
Is 12 days enough back  time for a blood test to come back positive. I am wondering if I have had type I for some time and have not known. The bottom line is I am married and I believe this will destroy it. I realize I should have thought of this before risking losing my family but too late for that now. I plan to go back for a retest

Feeling terrible and looking for any hope

Just to clarify I fully intend to tell my wife about the condition I just want to make it as easy as possible. Example I found out I have Type 1 with no symptons it appears that the majority of the population has this. It may have been present since childhood and you need to get tested to verify your condition. This would hopefully allow my family to survive I have learned a very hard and valuable lesson and my wife would not be devestated.

Another question once I got home there where some leftover amoxcillian in the house I started taking those 3 500mm per day for 5 days prior to previous test would these affect the test giving a false positive for type I.

Thank You
were you ever tested for herpes before this? odds are your hsv1 is an oral infection and something you had long before this. most adults have hsv1 and most don't get obvious cold sores to know it. you've had no genital symptoms that are remotely indicative of genital herpes to think that you recently contracted hsv1 genitally from receiving oral sex.

your testing for std's was done a little early.  since you took amoxicillin, I recommend waiting until the 6 week mark and then seeking out your syphilis blood testing and also repeat your gonorrhea, chlamydia, ngu and trich testing too just in case the antibiotics gave you a false negative for some of the bacterial std's. since you have a wife at home to protect, well worth repeating your testing. also err on the side of caution and after 3 months post encounter, repeat your hsv2 igg and also hepatitis and hiv testing. we don't have commercially available tests for hpv to test you for hpv from this encounter.  

taking amoxicillin would not effect herpes testing. herpes is a virus.

grace
Thank you fro your response.
I am really concerned about the 30 seconds of vaginal sex where the condom came off is this enough to cause herpes.

I have a general raw feeling on my penis but think that may be to the constant pulling and poking to check for signs. Also you dont think the isolated burning sensation is unrelated. Also could some of it be anxiety related

I know you can't give concrete answers just looking for your opinion.
Another stupid question I assume that I should refrain from sex with my wife until the new results come back.

Thank You again.
ideally you would abstain from sex for a full 3 months with your wife until you've completed all your testing.

nothing you have described sounds like herpes. cover your bases with the testing I suggested at the proper times.
Thank you for your time and advice. I will follow it.
I keep looking and have noticed a red raised area no sign of blisters or sores though what do you make of this. i think I have noticed this before and may be paranoid. What are the chances of a yeast infection etc.

if you didn't notice it until you looked for it, odds are it's not a std going on.
OK I am going to try and stay calm until I get the tests done. I still feel occasional burning on the outside in isolated spots its been three weeks since the encounter is that too long to be connected.

Again thanks for your answers.
Grace

I have a few questions:

1. If I do have genital herpes how long would the primary outbreak last.

2. Do you still feel the following symptoms do not point to genital herpes.
A: It has been 3 weeks and I still am experiencing a burning sensation in one isolated area on the side of my penis.
B. One area of raised red skin no blisters or sores.
C. I did experience some redness and tenderness on my foreskin as well but hoping that was the result of constant pulling and looking that was gone after 5 days or so.
D.Also the one instance of tingling around my penis head edge.
E. Overall feeling of anxirty

3. Do you think I should find someone to do a swab test on the raised red area? If so who does that sort of thing
.
Sorry for the rambling message but still very anxious.

Thank You
far too late for a lesion culture for your symptoms. they've been going on for too long.

continue to follow up with your provider for your symptoms.
I will follow up but curious as to your opinion. I willfollow up with the testing plan you suggested. So far I have just went through the online blood test. Do you think I should consult a doctor before the next test date you suggested 6 weeks from encounter.

Also do you feel these symptons lean towards gentital herpes or to something else?

Just a clarification the raised spot is more of a light brown that red color. Also if you feel I should consult a doctor before my next scheduled blood / urine test ehat sort of doctor should I consult. I currently do noy have a primary health provider I visit on a regulat bases. Should I visit a GP or dermatologist?

Just reread my message please excuse the excessive typos. Should always use spell check.

already said previously that nothing sounds like herpes going on.
Thank you and didn't want to bug just checking to see if you had changed your mind after reading any of the later posts. I will let you know how the tests come out.

Things currently seem to be normal. I plan to follow up with the tests and times you have advised. A question is it safe to particiate in oral sex or should I abstain from that for  the 90 days as well.

Grace

How accurate is the "type specific CAPTIA serology test". Just went back to look at my original test results that is the test that was used. After all tests are completed and  hopefully come back negative with the exception of the HSV1 and I show no gentital signs is it safe to resume a normal sex life with my wife. If I show no oral signs; cold sores etc. do I still need to disclose the original test results. I am trying to think how to explain to my wife the blood test without raising suspicions on why I had the test in the first place.

Thank You
the capta test is just fine. it's fda approved.   since you have a regular partner to protect, err on the side of caution with syphilis testing after 6 weeks and hsv2 testing at 3 months. you already covered your gonorrhea and chlamydia testing.

should you discuss your hsv1 results with your wife?  it's certainly worth doing so. perhaps something along the lines of your doc wanted to do blood work and he called you to tell you that you have hsv1. you did your homework and found out that most adults have it but most don't get obvious cold sores to know it.  http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  has terrific info to reference in your discussion. you can then ask your wife if she's ever been tested.
I had a visit today with my PCP she stated the spots on my penis did not appear to be STD related so good news there. I also disclosed to my wife my HSV1 status so that discussion is beheind me as well. I do have a question; on following another posting you advised a writer that if they had experienced a gentital HSV1 primary outbreak they would have most likely experienced very recoginizable symptoms,, what would those symptoms be?

multiple ,painful and very obvious blisters.
Grace

just educating myself; are the symptoms from HSV1 and HSV 2 the same for genital herpes
yes
What would other signs could be present. What perentage usually develop the  blisters?

the free herpes handbook we recommend in our read before posting post on the forum  has all this info and more :)
Grace

If i assume my wife has HSV1 we have been married over ten years and my upcoming test for HSV 2 is negative it would be OK to resume unprotected sexual activities.

Also can a person contact either type 1 or 2 herpes from performing oral sex on that person with herpes when no symptoms are present.

I wouldn't assume she has hsv1 but no reason not to resume having sex at this point.

yes you can transmit herpes without obvious symptoms present.
Seems like from reading it is hard to transmit herpes from the genitals to oral is that correc?

Also if you previously had HSV1 what symptoms would you expect to see from a HSV 2 infection; blisters or something much milder.

correct - genital to oral transmission of either type is low risk.

having hsv1 before contracting hsv2 makes it more likely symptoms will be rather mild - single lesion and/or itching and redness.
Thanks for the response.

As I did more research I think the symptoms I expierenced lean towards a type2 with a prior type1 infection. The redness on penis foreskin burning sensation in thigh and instance of tingling sensatoin in penis head. Won't know for sure until January until I can go for testing but appears there is a likelyhood for a type 2 infection and some anxiety filled days until then.

Do you lean towards the same conclusion as I have made.

Thanks again.
as I've said previously, this really doesn't sound like herpes going on.
Thanks for your answers and patience hopefully just scaring myself. I will follow up with the testing you have suggested.

Again thank you for volunteering your time and efforts to this forum
I'm just going to invite you all over to my house and we'll all eat and do non-worrying things - like clean and paint :)  don't worry, I'm a terrific cook!!
I think this is a somewhat silly question but I will ask to be on the safe side. The next set of testing you advised where to be taken at 6 weeks (42 days) I am scheduled to be out of town for a period of time and am considering taking this round of tests tomorrow which would be 39 days post encounter. My question would taking the tests 3 days early have any effect on the outcome, dont want to jeopardize the valadity of the results by taking them a few days early.

3 days early for syphilis testing is fine. it's also fine to just wait and cover that base at the 3 month mark when you test for herpes too.
Thanks - probably wasting money but I think I will go ahead and have them run all of the tests again  see if anything has changed from the 2 to 6 week mark. I will still go back at the 3 month mark for the final confirmation as well. Got my fingers crossed all comes back negative with the exception of the HSV1.

Thanks again and have a good Thanksgiving.
Grace

Just got my results back; all where negative except the hsv1 that "score" went from a 3.6 to a 3.47 seems pretty consistent.

Seems that I am in the clear on all of the other STD's: still need to go back for the 3 month (12 week) check to confirm the hsv2 result.

Thanks for your time and advice to this point.
Grace

I do have a question; I do plan on going back for the 3 month herpe test but read on the web that 70 - 93% of people will show positive results at the 6 week mark if they are infected. Do you agree with that statement. Again not going to use this as an excuse to not retest just checking.

you are negative so the point is moot of how many people test + by that point. that is why we recommend waiting and testing so that when you do test,  it's your final results so you don't have to work yourself up like this worrying.
OK thanks for the response. I realized I would have to check again was just curious if there was any valadity to the 6 week results.

Thank You
Grace

Just a general qustion if a person had sex with a partner who was having an active outbreak what would the chances be on contacting herpes during an unprotected encounter. I have seen the "results or percentages" of an encounter when there was not a current outbreak underway but never one that shows percentages when an outbreak is underway.

Thank You
We really don't have a lot of info on that but I think I've seen odds of 75% previously somewhere.
Grace

Sorry about the new post left a message by accident. The reason for the question. I spoke with a representative from STD Express the online service who did my testing. They said their doctors say their test the CAPTIA is as accurate as it will get at 6 weeks. Was the person giving the advice way off base.

6 weeks post encounter gives accurate answers to about 60% of folks who test. we recommend waiting for 4 months post encounter for captia testing to be the most accurate for the vast majority of people who take it. not worth repeated testing so best to just wait and test once at the later date.
Grace

Another question as I am waiting for the 12 - 16 week mark to hit so I can get a final result I have been reading other posts and today read some posts on the expert forum where they say anything under 3.5 is considered a low positive and may not be positive at all. Do you feel the two results I have received for type I 3.6 at 2 weeks and 3.47 at 6 weeks show conclusively I have type 1. And the original test taken 12 days after suspect encounter point to an infection that was present long before the  encounter.

hank You
i have a yeast infection me and my boyfriend keep givingvit back to eachoter lol it is rough especially when i've taken so many medications for it.. it sounds mostly like a yeast infection my boyfriend feels the same way i've tested negative on stds but lasst year at my biopsy was told i had yeast infection.. if you want to try putting canesten on the spot to see if it goes away
Grace

Thank You
there doesn't seem to be as many false positive issues with hsv1 igg testing as with hsv2 so we tend not to confirm them automatically.
Grace

Just to recap my situation. I had oral and vaginal sex with a stripper the condom came off sometime in the last minute or so during vaginal. Roughly a week after encounter I noticed my penis foreskin was red and skin was sensitive. I noticed burning in the left thigh and some burning on outside of penis in isolated spots no blisters etc. Red foreskin and skin sensitivity was gone in roughly 7 days after I noticed it. Currently occasionally notice minor burning sensation on outside of penis, . I took a 8 panel at 2 weeks all negative except HSV1 3.6 retook test at 6 weeks all negative except HSV1 3.46. Waiting to test at 12 weeks for confirmatien . You have earlier said you do not believe my symptoms are herpe related from the encount in question type 1 was probably an oral infection from earlier. As I wait I thought I would restate my symptons and see if you still feel the same.

Thank You
Grace

Grace

Just to recap my situation. I had oral and vaginal sex with a stripper the condom came off sometime in the last minute or so during vaginal. Roughly a week after encounter I noticed my penis foreskin was red and skin was sensitive also about 30 minutes of intense tingling aorund head of penis. I noticed burning in the left thigh and some burning on outside of penis in isolated spots no blisters etc. Red foreskin and skin sensitivity was gone in roughly 7 days after I noticed it. Currently occasionally notice minor burning sensation on outside of penis, . I took a 8 panel at 2 weeks all negative except HSV1 3.6 retook test at 6 weeks all negative except HSV1 3.46. Waiting to test at 12 weeks for confirmatien . You have earlier said you do not believe my symptoms are herpe related from the encount in question type 1 was probably an oral infection from earlier. As I wait I thought I would restate my symptons and see if you still feel the same.

Thank You
why would I change my mind?
Just as I wait and read on the internet it appears that my symptoms aligned with those stated online.

Also the captia test should I wait 4 months instead of 3 for conclusive results?

Grace

Just checking back in. Just got the results from the 16 week test actually 15 weeks and 3 days but who's counting. Anyway the results for herpes II where negative.

You where correct, thank you for your patience and advice during this difficult time.
glad you got answers so you can move forward :)  congrats!!