equivocal results on early detection herpes test
I recently had sex with a woman for the second time in six months.  One week after,  I got a bit concerned about diseases and I got the whole panel of test done.  All the tests came back negative except the 'early detection' herpes which came back as equivocal with a result of .93 which is greater than .90--which apparently would be negative.  The test results center said this meant I had recently been infected with herpes.  The test results person was pretty assertive about this result being a sure sign of recent infection of herpes. I have not had any of the 'classic' symptoms either orally or genitally but am obviously now scared.  They said I should go back for another test in 5 weeks.  I'm confused in the sense of why go back for another test if this test so positively identifies that I am infected?  Is this fear warranted as I don't want to spread it?
The "early detection" test they're talking about is probably an IgM antibody test.  There's a ton of info on this site and others about how that test is flawed and gives a boatload of false positives.  I think they earliest they can detect IgM antibodies anyways is 10 days post exposure and they only last for a short period of time.  The test can also cross react with chickenpox, etc and just generally give false positives because the test is flawed.  A type specific IgG antibody test around the 12 week mark is about 93% accurate and probably the way to go.