Herpes Community
false positive???????? HELP!!!!!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

false positive???????? HELP!!!!!!

Hi, i just tested low positive at 2.19 for hsv2, i think, i was in shock when the dr told me. it was 2. something, anyhow, i have been tested religoously for the last 10 years and always rendered a negative result, i have been with my current partner for the last year, he claims to never have had any symptoms.  I have never had any symptoms at all.  have always tested negative and am not promiscuouis at all!  I truely do not believe this test result, the dr. said it could be a false negative an not to worry about it to come in and get retested tomorrow.  not worry?  yea right!!  i feel like i want to die!!   how likely is it that this is a false positive and should i request a western blot?  
I honestly cannot believ this.  by the way, i tested negative for it in march of this year and have only had one partner, the same one i had then.  HELP!!!
oh and i was negative for type 1, sorry but i am freaking out right now!!!
your  current partner needs tested to see what their status is. If they are hsv2 negative then you do need additional confirmatory testing for your own status.

grace
is this a low level?  he too is scared to get tested, i am trying to convince him to, i am just really scared right now and confused.....sorry
I'm praying for you...you are right . you sound just like me.
I hope it is a false positive,, im scared, really scared... i feel dirty and ugly and like noone will ever love me or want to be with me again.  How the hell could i let this happen to me?  Im smart, old and very aware of things.  I have never tested anything but negative.  good god, i am terrified right now......ashamed and if i never woke up again, it wouldnt really matter to me.  I am sooo depressed!!!
If you really positive then very soon you will learn to live with this virus.. Everyone once comes to know they are positive herpes they go through this kind anxiety and emotional. Hope yours false positive.
I was embarrassed also.  It's crazy because as I was growing up, I was very into the church, a good girl, and whatever else ppl called me.  I was waiting for marriage.  And could not understand how this could happen to me.  

But I told my two sisters and mom, and the guy I was seeing. ALL have prayed and have been supportive (even though the guy has been in and out of it)

Don't worry.  It's a false postive!!!!!!!
When you said, "if you never woke up again, it wouldn't matter."  That hit home really hard with me; I've been suicidal for 12 years.  It was amplified tenfold after my HSV 2 scare.  But I've realized that we have to put this into perspective.  HSV is so highly stigmatized, for no real good reason. People who have had as little as 1-2 sex partners have it!  

You probably have a false positive.  However, if you don't, don't let it take over your life!  It's just a virus that typically causes little to no symptoms.  I've had HSV I since childhood & never had one cold sore.  It kills me that HSV 2, which is practically the same virus, has such a horrific stigma.  Additionally, we have so many researchers out there working for a vaccine & cure that we should see some very promising things within the next 10 years.

Let us know what your confirmatory testing shows, ok?
ok, went back to the doc today.  I was wrong my actual results were a 1.26, I guess i heard him wrong on the phone and thought he said 2. something.  but he pulled up the test and it was a 1.26.  He said he had never seen a low positive that low and re examined me yet again.  no sores, no bumps, no discharge, no anything.  I have never had any symptoms.  discussed my history and he said he deffinately believes it may be a wrong reading.  He actually went to the lab in the hospital and talked to the microbiologist in charge of all lab work and she confirmed that alot of things can actually cause a false positive.  She was in aggreance that i needed to be tested again.  He is going to order another herpeselect test and a confirmatory test (i think the western blot?)  he told me to come back in monday as it was late today and the lab will be closed for a long weekend, and he will find the test and see me again monday.  He said if he were a betting man that he would say i was actually negative.  Still he told me to be prepared for the worse case.  This doctor is absolutely amazing!!!  So careful and concerned with his patients.  Honestly he sat there and talked to me for over an hour.  He told me that i am depressed, lol duhh.  and of course i broke down crying cause im so scared, but he said when i come back in on monday he is gonna put me on anti depressants and said he believes truely this is worth following up on and regaurdless of the results, he will see it through to the end and do everything or every test he can to get me an answer.  When i stood up to leave he actually gave me a hug, which i deffinately needed then.  

So differant from some of the posts i have read here.  He actually is concerned about his patients and he even said it breaks his heart every time he has to diagnose someone.  So...he told me to act like i never had the test 2 weeks ago and not to dwell on it, do something for me (yeah right, lol) and if i have sex to just use condoms for now.  I dont plan on having sex, lol.  

My partner seems ok and prepared to deal with this.  He is nowhere near as traumatized as i am.  We are not serious but have been together a year.  I have tested negative every year and in april.  He has never been tested and is prepared to take the blame for infecting me if it comes to that, i pray it dont.  but i also accept that it takes two to make a mistake and that yea i would want to kill him, but i also didnt protect myself or insist on him getting tested, i simply took his word.  wont do that again!  

So after seeing the actual test results, at 1.26 i am still worried sick and depressed, but i have a little more hope than i did yesterday when i thought it was higher.  I know the next few weeks are going to play hell on my mind but i am going to figure this out.

I still dont really care if i ever wake up again, i hope whatever he gives me helps with my depression.  

Good luck to all of you and thank you sooo much for your well wishes, i am praying!!!
In addition to the WB as a confirmatory test for you, why doesn't your partner just get tested now?  If he is negative, it is even more evidence that you are not infected.

having a hard time convincing him to go, i am trying though!  i am literally going through hell and though he has been understanding and great, i think he is scared to know?
I know the week long (or more) wait for test results is excruciating.  Perhaps you can both get Biokits together.  You get the results back in 20 minutes.  That would confirm both you & your partner's statuses.  The WB is a bit more accurate but it takes over 2 weeks.

www.biokitusa.com (781-861-4064) -- If you call them, I believe they can direct you to their nearest location.
My goodness dum..you are so right. You sound exactly like me.  You were not lying.  OK! You have an awesome doctor, btw.  I am still praying for you.  You were on my mind this morning so I had to come check...You are going to make it thru this and so am I....both our appts are on monday..please let me know.

(every time i said test, my heart races!)

ashamed81, I am praying every day and night and minute.  I really dont know if i could live with this stigma, i am scared to retest because what ifit comes back higher or not negative?  i would die!  Thanks for the prayers and for thinking about me, i am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too.  I am praying that 1.26 is such a low number that it was just a fluke on the test.  hopefully i will have the answers i need soon!  Good luck!
With a score of 1.26 is it a possiblity that its a false positive???  I really need to believe in something right now.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/low-positives---confirmatory-results/show/1097724#post_5968138  is an ongoing post with info in about the low positives/false positive issues for more reading.

your  partner definitely needs tested to see what his status is. Let him know how important it is to you that he gets tested and how important it is to your relationship to see what his status is. It's part of being sexually responsible to do so and if you have to ,drag him by the ear down to the clinic for his blood testing!!!

yes it's very likely that your hsv2 is a false positive unless it's a new infection for you.  At this point further testing on you isn't of much use until you've seen your partner's test results.

grace
grace, thank you!!  I am not the smartest person in the world on this, but feel im pretty well informed.  this has been horrible for me.  Not so much for my partner... that is a complicated mess. lol  he is not nearly as freaked out as i am, but he is still 'concerned', lolI I am obsessing and going insane over this.  Thank god, my ex is intuitive enough to realize i am screwed up right now, and made my kids come over this weekend, even letting them miss school tomorrow, to be with me.  He knows i would never do anything to hurt myself with them around, but honestly, i dont even want to wake up anymore.  My life hurts so much right now (and this is just the icing on the cake) that i cant stand it anymore.   I am literally hanging by a thread.  

I am trying to get my current partner to go to the dr.  but its complicated and he doesnt want to go or know the truth, he is basing everything on my results.  I have not had sex in over a month with him and will not till this is figured out.  and if he doesnt get tested, even if i test negative, he will always use a condom, if i let him get that close to me again. Im not sure i will.  I will absolutely never take anyones word for it again though.  I do hope i am negative, i think i am, and hope and pray.  I cant even begin to think about it the other way.  I feel like my stomache literally drops and gets sick every time i think about it.  

Sorry for my rambeling, i am seriously depressed, feel like a failure as a parent and will never be good enough for anyone ever again.  I hope this turns out in my favor.....anyhow, what you do here is awesome.   thank you so much
You need to call your doctor today or your therapist if you have one. depression and suicidal thoughts need to be taken seriously and you have children who need you to be 100% there for them!!  If you feel the need to hurt yourself, please call your local suicide hotline immediately and talk to someone!

herpes is an infection. it says absolutely nothing about you as a person or a parent!!  Don't confuse that ever!  It's no different from if you had a cold or the flu just it stays with you for life instead of running its course and being gone from your body. they are viral infections that live to replicate and infect - nothing can be gained by thinking that they are a reflection on you . make sense?   std's aren't anything other that infections that you get from close contact.  If your grandma had a cold sore on her lip would you think she was a bad person? I doubt it. Genital herpes is just a cold sore below the waist and you can control the infection for the most part and keep the risk of transmission to a partner minimal.

I think your current bf needs to go with you to a therapist session to hear how important this is to you for him to get tested.  whatever his reason for not caring to get tested promptly for you to give you better answers, you both need to deal with it in order for this relationship to be healthy and move forward.  no reason for you to test repeatedly and deal with this on your own because he won't call his doc and arrange for a blood test to be drawn!

thank you grace, i am going to see a therapist next week also.  I do feel like a differant person, even knowing it may really be a false positive, the scare has made me feel completely differant.  I am trying to keep hope though.  I feel like i am dirty and tainted now and noone will ever want anything to do with me again and will look at me differantly.  I wont be able to feel sexy again, or wear cute outfits to bed, because even if i look cute on the outside, im still tainted on the inside.

I know that shouldnt be how i feel, but it is how my mind works.  
As for my partner, i am going to try to make him go get tested next week, unfortunately i think he doesnt want to know because he is married and claims that they would have known if he had anything.  I tried explaining to him that you dont always know and that even if he has it, she may not, or they may never have any symptoms.  I think he is scared for that reason.  Like i said, we are complicated, our relationship will never go anywhere and i know it, which makes this harder. because if i do have it, i will deal with it alone.  I go home at night to stress out and cry by myself and he goes home in denial.  

I am praying that my next test is negative and i can move on with my life, without him.  lol  i think if this scare is really just a scare, i will just need some alone time to readjust.  Thnks for your kind words grace.  
well I don't wear "cute" outfits but it has nothing to do with my having oral and genital herpes :)  

I'm glad you are going to talk to someone next week about this !  Time to reprogram your mind so you don't think this way needlessly :)  

thanks again grace, this has been the hardest week of my life.  On monday i am going to be retested.  And if all i have read is correct a 1.26 is very low and if i test negative on WB or biokit, i can be confidant of those results.  Above all else, that is what i hope and pray for.

Even so, i am still going to talkto someone and try to get my mind right.  I hope i can let out this breathe i have been holding soon.  Even if he doesnt get tested, i need to know for sure my status, and i need to get myself out of this depression i have slipped into.  I will keep you posted.
So i still have no symptoms, none at all.  I am sooo freaked out i cant sleep, eat or anything else  My focas has left work and all i think about it this.  i go back monday, to find out more about the tests, and i will talk to my current partner more on monday.  i hope he realizes how mush this is affecting me.  I kind of need him right now.  anyhow, i will keep you posted.  until then pray for me and i will pray for you.  thanks
Still no sleep, no appetite, cant concentrate, i am feeling every itch, tingle, pain anywhere in my body.  I am keeping hope alive, but am starting to feel negative.  I dont think i could wait 3 months to be tested again.  Its been a week and i am insane already.  I keep telling myself that its a false positive and that i will be fine, but im scared!  really scared!!  And so mad at myself for even putting myself in this situation.  One think is certain, either way this turns out, i will never be so trusting again.  :(
I am really stressed out right now!  I know that a 1.26 is extremely low and i know dr. H had said in one of his posts that there was talk of changing the cutoff value, i dont know to what.  So i have kept hope alive, but everytime i think that i might really have this, my heart sinks, i feel sick to my stomache and i cant think right.  I have a mirror on the counter next to my toilet, and every time i go to the bathroom, yep, i look, and i see nothing!!! absolutely nothing!!!  I have talked to my partner and tried to persuade him to go get tested, i will try again tomorrow, so far he doesnt really want to talk about it and just says to wait for my test, well i can wait for mine, but without knowing his, i still dont know how likely it is that i have this.  Anyhow, i am really sad, really alone, and really scared, i really need to believe in miracles right now, i am just loosing faith.   I dont like my life like this.  and based off my partner not wanting to get tested, i dont believe i will be with him again.  It toatally shows me that he just doesnt care about what this is doing to me.  I am going insane.
Ok, so i went back to my doctor and i am really disapointed, he really didnt seem to know much about confirmation testing.  He had never heard of the western blot being used for herpes screening and not even the biokit, he said that if it gave results in 20 minutes it couldnt be accurate.  So he ordered another herpeselct test (same one i already did) and some other blood test that he said was a dna viral detection test????WTF?  i have never heard of this blood test and neither had he, but he said its what the lab rats recommended????  the number on the test orders was 59061 2 lav tu???????Can anyone tell me what that is??/  So i am trying to find a place around me that does testing with the biokit and western blot and will just have to pay out of pocket for it.  

I did talk to my partner again today and i think he is realizing how much this is affecting me, he aggreed to go tomorrow to get tested and find out his status.  If he is neg than i must be too.  But if he is positive, I will die.

I am so confused as to these tests, does anyone know the test i need to tell my doctor to use?  I am also scared to get the results back, wont they most likely stay the same with the same lab???  I have faith and then i dont.  I am a mess i am sorry , but i need help, drs seem so uninformed on the whole false/low positive issue.  Please someone help me.  My last score was a 1.26, what if the next one goes up?  or is negative?  which test was right then?  OMG i am going crazy, please someone help me figure out these tests and where to get them.
the pcr blood test is a waste of your time and money.  herpes is not a blood borne virus so it is rarely detected in the blood with dna testing ( there are exceptions when someone has a general viremia with initial infection ).  

the rapid herpes tests are just as accurate as the other tests for herpes. Your doctor uses rapid testing in his office everyday and probably doesn't doubt it at all - he's just grossly undereducated about herpes testing it appears.  

when is your therapy appointment?

also put down the mirror!!! checking your nether regions every time you use the bathroom is just adding to your anxiety!
Is that the blood test my dr ordered???  I had never heard of it but when he said dna, i was like huh???  

What test then do i need to confirm or deny the results as my doctor insists he has never heard of either the biokit or the western blot, he said the western blot is only used for hiv confirmation???

I feel like i cant find anyone at my drs who knows anything reliable about this.  

Also, i try to not check myself all the time, that too adds to my anxiety.  lol, He also didnt give me any anti deppression meds like he said he would.  I dont get into my therapist till next monday.  

At this point, i need to figure out where or how to get the confirmation tests done,, i seem to hit a brick wall everytime i try.  I think i just need to know for sure, one way or the other.

My dr. compared the biokit to a urine test, which of course it is not.  i dont know what else to do
the western blot is a type of test. It's used to look for all sorts of different infections , not just hiv!

If your provider uses quest labs it's test #34534. he doesn't have to understand it, he just has to order it!!   http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm  this included a very informative power point on the Wb for herpes for your provider to watch.  

hang in there - you'll have better answers soon :)
THANK YOU grace!! I am going to give this information to my doctor,   why are so many doctors completely ignorant to this info??  Their patients are suffering because of it.
ok, so my partner went to get tested today.  No symptoms no lesions nothing, awaiting the results.  My second test should be back by the end of the week, i am worried that it will be the same or higher, praying not.  I did find a place to get the biokit test done.  It is in indiana and im in kentucky, a three hour drive both ways but i think i am going to do it friday.  I need some kind of confirmation to these low results, i also contacted the university of washington and got some info on the western blot, i need to find a lab that will draw my blood as apparantly, i can actually order the test myself.  The number to order the WB is 1-800-713-519 and it is currently 160.00 plus whatever the shipping and lab fees.  My doctor does not use that lab and my insurance wont cover the cost.  Again when i spoke with my doctor, he says i am probally negative, or that with such a low score i have probally been exposed...which i know is not right, i f i have been exposed then i am infected.  He still insists his lab doesnt know about the wb test or the biokit.  It is very disheartening that he seems to be so uninformed.

I also know that is you want the biokit test done you can call 781-861-4064, tell them what state you live in and they will tell you the clinics near you that use them.  and give you the # and address

So i am keeping my fingers crossed, and biting my lip!!  I do feel very grateful that my partner did go and get tested.  And that he is trying real hard to be supportive.  

I still have no symptoms, no anything and yes grace, i still have the mirror by my toilet.  Horrible i know, but i cant stop obsessing.

Oh and i forgot to mention in early posts that i have OCD, very bad!!!  I use to take 80 mgs of prozac daily and my ocd manifested with cleaning and fear of germs and diseases.  So i think i feel it starting to get bad again with obsessing over this.  And i think thats why the sooner i get this all cleared up, the better i will be...
well if you need to clean, come on over to my house :)

just make sure you have an appointment before you drive 3 hours for a blood test.  

what testing did your partner have done?
he only got the herpeselct done and they tested him for all stds, which i am sure are neg since i am too.  

He is really more stressed than he is letting on, but at least he went.  

The clinic said i could walk in as long as im not having any symptoms and they would prick my finger and do the test.  I am scared, i really am, but i am going crazy within my own mind. lol

lol I would love to clean your house grace!! lol  I have been going crazy, i have been washing my clothes in hot water three times each, cleaning the toilet and floor everytime i use it, wiping down my sofa everytime i sit on it.  I dont even know what i am doing anymore, i am scared to even touch myself
give him a big ole hug for going to get tested finally!!

oh man you really do need to come here dear!!  You'll find enough cleaning for the rest of the week I assure you!  It'll be valid cleaning too....lol.  I'm supposed to be painting this week but haven't even started yet. You clean and that'll save me from having to do it before I paint :)

lol, unfortunately i havent hugged him in a long time.  I really want to, but things are really strange now.  :(

Painting?  I hate painting, but cleaning does soothe me somehow... :(  lol  am i going overboard with cleaning.?  I am so scared that if i do have this i will somehow pass it to my kids.  should i do our laundry seperately?  should i let my daughter do the laundry?  if she touches it, is she at risk?  I know it sounds stupid, but that is how an ocd mind works....
yes you are going WAY overboard with the cleaning. Hopefully once you have your therapist appointment you can work on controlling that urge better :)

Your daughter can do the laundry ( and should be helping you do it!! ). No risk at all from touching dirty clothing as far as herpes.
Thanks grace!!!  You are so wonderful!  And i am soo scared!!  I am going friday for the biokit, and in that 10 mins, i am so scared that my life will just fall apart in front of me.  I dont know what i will do.  I want to believe that my test is just a fluke and was wrong, and i still have no symptoms but god i feel every itch and burn and tingle and cramp and everything magnified by like 100 now.  I am terrified that no one will ever love me again, and that i will just become this disease.  I dont think i could live like that.  Im scared of my results, his results everything.  :(  but i did hug him today, and he was really sweet today.  Im scared what will happen when my results come back.  

Am i grasping at straws with the false pos???  my doctor told me that this dna test was way more sensitive than any of the other tests.  I have never heard of the dna test for it.  Im scared and really need some comfort...
the herpes dna blood test is a total waste of money. herpes is not a blood borne virus so it won't be detected in a pcr blood test at this point. your provider is clueless about the testing he is ordering from the sounds of things.  

honestly I'd just get a herpes WB ordered over wasting a whole day in the car for a biokit. You can have the kit sent to you and have your doctor order the blood to be drawn and sent from his office or whatever lab he uses.
Dumbone- I completely understand your anxiety. Ive been through it..and still after testing positive 3 times.. i feel like i still have unanswered questions..but how much more can i test,,and how much more can i know about this stupid virus... NOTHING.. i feel like ive read every post and every handbook...!  Its doesnt define who you are. But what does define who u are in sleeping with a married man. Who the f does that? i know its not my business but i almost feel like saying "are u kidding me, I get herpes from a cheating bf who i was manipulated by, and this girl is probably negative, and is sleeping with someones husband"... call it bitter or whatever. I sincerely wish u luck...i wouldnt wish this on anyone.. but get your own husband.
at asianlore I appreciate your well wishes but do not appreciate you passing judgement on me.  You have not walked in my shoes, or lived my life or his.  And i did have my own husband for 18 years.  

I never pass judgement on anyone as everyone is human (including you) and we all make our fair share of mistakes.   so in answer to your question of who the f*** does that?  ALOT of people!!!  

In life alot of things get in the way and prevent ending a bad marriage, life, kids, bills, property...  see where im going with this, if you think you are holier than thou, you are probally wrong!!  I never thought i would 'sleep' with a married man either, but  as humans do, we evolve, we change, we all dissapoint ourselves at some point.  Does this make me feel good?  NO, but he does!!  And i do love him.  I have slept with 5 people in 24 years, I am by no means a *****!!  

I am sorry about your current situation, i would never wish bad things on anyone, including my ex!!!

But according to your post, if you judge me like that, i feel bad for the people who post about prostitudes and one night stands.  Cause who the f*** does that????  ALOT of people do!  It is a fact and it does not make them bad people.

This forum is here for information and support from people who are experts and those who are gooing through the same thing.  Not for people to pass judgement on you.  That is why so many people are not even honest with their doctors about their past, they are scared people will judge them.  I was just being honest with my post.

Hope you feel better.  Have a good day!!

I seemed to have missed the part about you sleeping with a married man... I'm not going to pass judgment.  It's not my place to.  But just think about his wife in this, also.  What if your husband of 18 years cheated on you & passed herpes (or another horrible disease) onto you?  All this pain and suicidal thoughts you're experiencing she may go through, as well.  We all make mistakes. But we have to learn from them, not continue them.
You are right and im sorry about the judgemental comments. And i dont know the entire situation...and no i have never walked in your shoes. I just hope he is honest with his wife . I've been the "other girl"..and ive been the one cheated on.. Im sure A LOT of people have and its not fun when dishonesty results in things like this. There is no reason for it.

and regarding men who cheat on their wives/ gfs with prostitutes they are pigs..and now that they think they have herpes they are sorry... come on now.  There is no reason to put anyone's health at risk. Someone who f***s prostitutes and then has unprotected sex with their gf or wife in my opinion is a bad person. You can't put someone's health (the most important thing in life) at risk for someone you love.. that isnt love.   best of luck
@ still...  I have thought about his wife, and if i have contracted this disease it is deff from him.  He is the only person i have been with for a year.  i tested neg in april this year.  I have talked to him about his test and if he is pos that he needs to tell his wife, because he could pass it to her.  or hell who knows she could have given it to him.  At this point i am hoping that none of us has it!!  And in case you didnt notice in my post, i have not slept with him since i was tested.  And i dont know if i will again.  I know i was std free when we started dating, i have been tested regularly for 10 years.  even though i was married, and didnt cheat, you never really know if he does.  so i tested at every pap exam.  just to be sure.  

Until we get the tests we need, i am trying not to be angry or blame him, because as i have stated before, i t takes two to tango, i didnt ensure my protection.  That doesnt make it better though.

@ asian...I am not perfect at all, i have made my share of mistakes and have regrets, so does he.  And i have been cheated on before, maybe thats where my mentality changed.  But like i said, i am not going out sleeping with everyone i can or trying to steel other peoples husbands.  I didnt initiate our relationship and wasnt aware of her in the begining.  I have wanted to stop because of that for a long time, but we are human, and having and feeling love and not being alone and laughing often alter your intentions.  

I just want to get my head straight, but i do love feeling someones arms around me at night.  Our eyes are in our heads not in our hearts!  So what we see alot of times is trumped by what we feel.  Yes i am a bad person for that, i guess.  I dont know, im just sad and confused and alone and miserable ... except for when he is around.  dumb, yea, my life, yes.

We all do things we regret, that is what makes us human!  But the fact that my sexual partner is married does not change the situation i am in, or the confusion, or the hurt or the anxiety!  it actually makes it worse!  it doesnt change that doctors do not know the most up to date information or how to test acurately for this disease or the anxiety and hurtful feeling we feel for it.  

It just means that the man i love (who stupidly did not know his staus ever in the past) is married to someone else, and will never be truely mine.

Asianlore, i am so sorry that your ex did this to you.  He should have been careful and not put you at risk.  I agree that my partner is a ********* to his wife.  Life is complicated and it sucks, i wish it came with instructions!!
OK, so i just drove 5 hours to get the biokit test done.  results - Negative!!!!  I was so relieved and have more hope now

partners test is still pending as is my other repeat test.

I do thiink i am still going to do the wb.  but it felt good to see that!!
Grace, what do you make of the biokit test i just took?  It was negative, and i can say the 20 min wait was awful. lol  i nearly passed out!  But I am relieved alot right now, and believe it was worth the drive and money, but i am still nervous.  from what i have read, it helps in distinguishing a false positive, but im soo worried  still!!!  

I am trying to be patient waiting for my partners results, and what if my 'repeat' test is still a low positive?  this is so confusing and stressful.  Which test then would i believe?  And what is the dna test suppose to even look for?  will it really tell me anything? I am going to order the WB i think, i just need to know.  

Again, thank you for all your help and your patience, it has to be hard dealing with freaked out people all the time.  Bless you
Congrats!!!!
THANK YOU ASHAMED,  I am still so nervous though and dont know what to do or what to believe!!!
No one is even answering me anymore...so I guess I'm done
yea, noone really answers me anymore either, at least not for anything but to judge me.  lol, im just really wanting to know the answers and get graces opinion.
So does a negative biokit confirm that it was a false positive igg?  I took the biokit 3 weeks after the blood test.  Biokit was NEGATIVE

Still awaiting partners results, but im confidant they will be neg.  

Is this good news?
Ok so update, partners test was negative, last guy i was with before him (ex) was negative, my repeat blood test 1.82????  first one was 1.26

I dont get it, if neither my ex or current partner has this then why are my tests sitll coming up low pos?  i was neg in april.

negative by biokit

this is still a low pos, and i have a neg biokit, negative partners, and a neg dna blood draw, what now?  what does this all mean?
Some people test at a low positive for the rest of their lives.  The reason for this is unknown.  Perhaps cross-reactivity with something else in your blood.  1.82 is still a very low positive.  I would say the negative Biokit trumps the 2 low positives.  If you need further confirmation, get the WB.  Not much else to do at this point.

As Grace says, I'd be dancing in the streets if I were you.  Have a good Thanksgiving.
right - if you really need the peace of mind get the WB but the odds ofyou having hsv2 are fairly low.
Thank you Grace, im so sorry to interupt thanksgiving. lol which by the way if you want to bake, i have a lot of ingrediants in my kitchen but dont really feel like cooking them. lol  you bake, i clean? lol

i am trying to find a way to get the western blot, it is horrible how hard it is to get!    I am trying though, i have much going on in my life, divorce, sarcoid, hysterectomy next month, high blood pressure, work, kids, bills.  I am very stressed!  Also i do have sarcoidosis, diagnosed 12 years ago, had it flare up earlier this year in my lungs.  I know this is an immunodefficiancy disorder, could this have anything to do with crazy test results? just came to mind.  most people have never heard of it. lol  

Thanks again and dont work to hard!!
yayay!!!!  u have a lot to be thankful for tomorrow!! no hsv ii!!  

its ashame that doctors are so unfamiliar with the rate of false positive testing. It causes so much unnecessary stress...but those days should be over for u.

best of luck with everything else. happy tday.
@ asianlore,

Thank you sooo much!!! But i still feel like 'i just dont know'!!  I know what all the facts say, but my head is in such a terrible place that all i hear are those two low positives.  

Honestly!!!  This should not be so hard for anyone. How can doctors be so uneducated?  And so uncaring to the stress that this does cause.  I am going to get the WB done just to confirm, because my head is in a horrible place right now.  

I appreciate your kind words though!!!  Thank you so much, and have a great Turkey day!!!
Hi dumbone,

I check the forums as often as life permits.  I used to be very active here and happened to just read your thread.  I wanted to give a few pieces of friendly thought.  

Our heads play games with us.  We sometimes regret decisions or feel we are being punished for our actions in some way.  I completely disagree (as have others here) that someone comes to this forum to judge any member who posts.  It fustrates me to no end to see that.  In your case you have to remind your head and yourself what you are doing and what the logical response should and is here.  

You actually do know.  You just choose to not accept it.  Look at what you know.  

1.  You know that HSV-2 tests are better then the testing we have for HSV-1.  Considering that more people will know their status then having a rate of almost 10-15% I believe the number is that people who have HSV-1 will not know without the culture testing.

2. You know that HSV-2 has a Biokit test and which compared against the HSV WB test showed accurate results pretty darn good (I believe it was higher then 95%).  

3.  You know that HerpeSelect is one of the best tests out there as it was compared to the HSV WB testing.  

4.  You know that the WB is the GOLD standard when testing with HSV.  

I can share a personal experince if I may.  I wrote a blog entry detailing the amount of pure hell (and how rich I made the doctors and testing company).  But a brief overview was that I had an unprotected oral encounter with another male (various reasons why but anyway).  I came to this very forum freaked out paid for 2 doctor posts including my free posts and responses from various people (petal, Grace, and leap).  I couldn't accept I didn't have Herpes.  My point of breaking would be going to the bathroom.  I have a mirror that magnifies.  I use it for shaving good when going on interviews and it is used by various other household members.  I get more bumps on my legs then I have ever noticed.  I would be in that bathroom for 30-45 minutes with the mirror and a big bright light on me.  I was checking every corner of my body.  If I got a bump I can tell you I was at the dermatologist having him look at me.  I kid you not.  I spent 50.00 bucks each visit. I saw him in the course of 3 months 10 times. That is 500.00!  He would look me over tell me what I knew.  

Now our stories differ.  Your encounter differs and your test results differ.  But we also see and can relate to that "fear".  We know that the testing numbers in a range according to our doctors here have a high times and chance to be false positive numbers.  Your range was in that really low chance of being a real positive. But you have a stack of evidence to show you aren't going to have it.  For example if I told you that you could get pregnant without having male intercourse you would know I am lying because you know how babies are created. Its that evidence you have that supports it.  So your mountain of evidence in this case is the Biokit test and your parenters test as negative. It is hard to tell someone that they got something when there is no proof the other person had it.  

Now you talked about how could doctors be so uneducated and so uncaring to the stress that it causes.  I don't know your profession so I can't speak for your job. But the medical field and the computer field are just about the same.  I have worked in computers for a LONG time.  I know a lot about computers.  I attened various conventions and training sessions for new equipment.  But there is still a lot I don't know and I can't keep up with.  Being a doctor is the same way.  Let's consider that your doctor is a family doctor think of how many viruses change each year (FLU is a good one) how many new techniques come out for testing for autism or new standards of care for fighting streph or staph.  While a lot of things may stay the same (bone breaks you have to set it and let it heal) other things change. Each year we learn more and more about viruses and bacteria and on and on.  These doctors have to do patient care, keep up with the changes to medicine, do continueing education time, etc etc.  Their specialty (or lack of) in a family doctors world is so varied each day.  Now talk to a dermatologist and they can tell you a lot of skin and while those changes to things happen they only work with skin.  One patient in one room isn't there about the flu and the second room about pimples, and the other room treatment for high cholesterol.  

So when they go on to learn and keep up to date some times things that aren't really life threatening take a back seat to things that can kill someone.  It is important and they do need to keep up to date but sometimes they can't keep up with the sheer volume.  I bet that doctor knows what it is like to not know things.  Those doctors I bet too wish they could just pull out a scanner and tell you right there what is wrong.  But they can't they go off the testing that they know and evaluate the situation.  They can't speed up those test results much when the blood has to go to the lab and that lab then has to run the blood based on what they got from your doctor and the others they have.  

But as I said keep in mind your life right now should be better.  Calm yourself down and look at those facts.  You tested negative. Your partner tested negative. So if he doesn't have it how could you?  Chances of the HSV-2 being missed on his test is low and chances of a number in your range being positive are low.  
I love the post!  I especially agree that the medical field and computer field or any other job are the same in that things are constantly changing. I also understand that some things like stupid herpes take a back seat, and they just have to.

I dont want to say where I work (not in the medical field), but its a place that anyone would think is absolutely reliable, but Im telling you that it has made me realize that some people just dont do their job right and it causes detrimental events.  With my personal HSV testing, I imagined people at the labs using expired test kits, not properly storing the test kits, contaminating the tests some how.... just because i know a lot of people make stupid mistakes, or are incredibly lazy.

i can also relate to the amount of time with the hand mirror.. LOL.

Thanks for the post.

Thank you so much mistakeguy. i am really trying to convince my brain of this fact as is my partner, but the numbers just keep lurking at me.  I am gonna get the western blot, but its so expensive it is gonna take a min.  I will redo the biokit next month again, just to reassure myself again.  My mind needs a vacation.  @ asianlore, thanks again, i know what you mean, i work with people who take short cuts all the time too, i think the same things and honestly my hand mirror is still by my sink and every trip to the bathroom results in a mini exam of my body.  it is horrible.  Happy thanksgiviing
I continually try to convince myself that all is well.  I know that the biokit is very accurate and that my partners negative and my ex is also negative, theere is really no reasonable explanation for my low positive.  I was negative in april and in oct of last year.  I have never had any symptoms to make me believe i have it.

But those damn numbers keep playing on my mind!  1.26 and 1.82, both low i know, but why would it go up in numeric value?  I dont get that!    the blood tests were 2 weeks apart, but the biokit was done a week after the 2nd blood draw???  and biokit was negative!  So that was the most recent test, no way it could be a new infecction, as partner is negative!!  So what is going on?

I do have sarcoidosis, which is an autoimmune disease, and it recently flared up in my lungs and became active in may,  could this alter the test results at all?

And will i always test low positive even if im negative??  How do i explain that to new partners??
I missed the offer to clean up after I cooked and baked - heck we might have a deal girl!!!! lol  

we don't know exactly why the false positives occur. some folks have issues with it all the time while others just random false positives.  that's why in the absence of obvious symptoms/lesion cultures we recommend the confirmatory testing with low positives.  

I'd recommend just using the herpes WB for future herpes screenings.  any quest lab can perform it if your provider orders it.  if your provider uses quest labs, if they call their main company ( not the local lab ), they have terrific people familiar with the false positive issues who will talk to them and educate them and let them know about confirmatory testing.  I've met several of them now at conferences and they are very helpful!

Thanks grace!!!  You cook, i clean, sounds like a deal!! lol  

Do you truely believe that this is a false positive based off of all the facts here?

no way it would be a new infection, if my partner is negative.  and is the biokit negative 3 weeks after the first low positive more dependable?  Should i trust that test now until i can get the WB?  

Is it really posible that i am totally freaking myself out for no reason?

Thanks grace!
love to cook!!!  love to eat....he he he   you want to clean and keep my wine glass properly filled - it could work out just fine!

almost has to be a false positive if your former partners were properly tested and were negative and you've been tested before and were negative.  
I think i could do the cleaning and keep the wine flowing.  LOl

Thanks so much grace.  I am really trying to convince myself that the biokit and the fact my partners are negative and i was negative in april are the accurate facts.  its just hard because those stupid numbers keep apearing in my dreams.  lol  I am going to get the WB done as soon as i can afford to, hopefully next month.  I am assuming that since it was over 6 months since i was with my ex, and my current partner is negative that it will be accurate at this point.

Also, one more question.  when i did the biokit, it had been 22 weeks since last encounter with my ex.  Would this have been enough time to accurately test with biokit, considering my new partner is negative?

Should i just stop freaking out so much and worrying myself sick?  

BTW my therapist started me on zoloft and gave me some sleeping pills.  i hope that helps.

yes it was enough time for the biokit.

hopefully some good sleep helps :)
I am going to retest with the biokit when i get back from out of town.  I hope that gives me some peace, i have a new dr trying to order the WB and he really seems to believe i am negative.  I hope so!!  I will keep everyone posted
Good luck to you dumbone, we are going through the same thing!!
although i tested positive 3 times with herpesselect. Three low positives in that order:
IGG 1.34
IGG 1.22
IGG 1.94
I never had an outbreak and i have been dealing with this since July!!
I finally ordered a WB ($162.50) and had to overnight it with Fedex (from Florida-another $65) and i am officially a broke college student now. I should get my results sometime by the end of the week.

Good luck to you and I encourage you to order the WB as well
hi, i hope you are well.  did you ever get your results?

Grace, i am just back from out of town on buisness.  this is so stressful.  should i trust the biokit?  i am going to get another one done next week, just to ease my mind, still working on getting the WB.  I am so worried.  still no sypmtoms.  i dont know what to think
just an update, i am going tomorrow to get the biokit redone.  just need something until i get the wb.  I will post the update!  wish me luck!  

still no symptoms, no anything!!! including no sex !!! lol  its been over 2 months since sex with my partner who tested negative.  

26 weeks since sex with my ex.  if this biokit is negative should i try and accept that as the truth while i wait for the wb?
Went today and took the biokit again!!  It was NEGATIVE!!!  I am overjoyed, but still confused.  Do 2 negative biokits trump the low positives?  

I believe the biokit is right, what should i believe till i get the WB?
this is great newsss!! YAY!!...   I think u need to weigh the pros and cons of western blot testing..  If u get the western blot and its negative..then can u move on 100% knowing that you havent been exposed? or will u still have doubt since u tested positive IGG?   What if the test is indeterminate? ... What I am trying to say is where does it end?  If the WB is positive, u still had 2 negative biokit? so where would u go from there?   I just think nothing is 100%...its almost like finding proof of life after death.  We will never know 100%... there are things that happen that suggest it..but u will never know for sure.. especially since u dont have outbreaks..  Somethings we just cant get to the bottom of.

Life is too short... odds are ur negative..and u should live u life that way!

If u feel like u need the WB, then do it. It wouldnt cause harm, except to ur bank account. ahah.   keep us posted   GOOD LUCK! :) OXOX
thank you asianlore!!!  I have been thinking about it, i do want to just accept that two negative biokits are good enough, and as of today i am going to assume i am truely negative!!  I will probaly end up gettting the WB, but for now, i am negative!!!  Thank you for your kind words and support!  i need them
congrats!!!!!!!!!
Thank you ashamed.....  I appreciate the well wishes
grace... what is your take on my 2nd negative biokit.  its been 26 weeks for exposure to ex, who says he tested negative and 10 weeks since last contact with current negative partner.  should i trust this as true negative results?
Terri already responded to this on the expert's forum - Grace will no doubt concur with her advice. You know getting the Western Blot is what's recommended for confirm your negative status.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/False-positive/show/1399000
True, and i will get the WB as soon as i can afford to do so

but i have read posts where people get the biokit and it is considered a confirmatory test and believed to be a true negative.  

It is completely confussing and disheartening.  The biokit is considered a really good reliable test, and it has been so long post possible exposure with absolutely no symptoms or signs, would i just be wasting my money to get the WB?  Will i ever know for sure if im truely negative??/
I honestly don't think you need additional confirmation at all.   You had an extremely low positive and negative 2 Biokits.  It's absolutely time to move on.  =)   Congrats on being negative.
Thank you!!  I am trying to move forward, i am just soo confused and scared now.  I truely believe i am negative, i just have the low positive stuck in my head.  I hate this, it has been so hard and has completly sent my life into a tailspin.  I wonder if i will ever accept the truth?  I will get the WB im sure of, and i guess till then, i will assume i am negative and go about life.
Typically we don't advise anyway when a person has posted on the expert's forum. Terri is an expert in the field. She has told you her advice - get the WB and then move on.
I had posted here prior to posting on the expert forum.  thank you to everyone who responds here, but the rude comments really can stop.  I am not rude in any way to anyone on here and try to understand what everyone is going through.  As i hope they understand what i am going through.  If noone has anything but attitude and rude unwarrented comments, then they dont need to post here at all.  I do not believe i have ever offended anyone, but i sense a bit of animosity from a few folks on here.  Im so sorry i am seeking answers and advise.  As i said, i will get the WB as soon as i can afford it, until then, i have had 2 biokits that are negative, and i have to believe that they (at least one of them) would have picked up the infection at this point.  So that is what i am choosing to believe.  I understand you believe some of our thoughts on this to be irrational and 'no big deal', but for some of us, it is a very big deal and every person is differant.  Please try and understand that in the future.  Have a good night and i will keep everyone posted.
As of this point you're asking the same question here on this board that you asked on the Herpes Expert's board. You've been answered by Terri and as such we won't trump her advice. We tell that to all of the folks who are redundant between the boards.

Terri advised you get the WB. Grace agrees, I agree too. When you can afford to do so you will know and can move on with your life.
my point was that if i had lived in the city where i went to to get the biokit, i would have been tested for all stds, including herpes and would have been told i was negative.  I would have accepted that and left believing i was negative.  That clinic doesnt offer the igg test, only the biokit.  I certainly wouldnt have sought out additional testing.  so my question is more, isint it more likely at this point that i am negative?  If i was positive, wouldnt i test that way on all three tests?  the only one left to take is the WB.  And i cant wait to do so.  I will keep everyone posted.
so i took the wb on monday, just waiting for the results, still no symptoms and am trying to keep my chin up.  I will post the results when i get them
so just an update, I had the WB done and got the results:

NEGATIVE FOR HSV1
NEGATIVE FOR HSV 2
NO EVIDENCE OF PRIOR INFECTION WITH TYPE 1 OR 2

I am soo relieved!  But still wonder if i should trust the results ...

I ended up becoming a phone client with terri and she ordered the test at a quest lab nearest me.  The 3 week wait for the results was the absolute worst!  But Terri and her staff are sooooo wonderful!  They made me feel soo at ease and were available whenever i needed them without making me feel like a problem!  Absolute best money i have ever spent! Terri even got on the phone to give the results to me herself!!  and offered to call my dr and educate him on herpes testing.  She is an angel!!

Grace, Terri said i should absolutely trust these results as the final answer to my puzzle.  Do you agree?  Are 2 Negative biokits and aa negative WB definitive?

The last 5 months have been so hard!  But thankfully i found this site and the people on here!   God Bless you all and dont ever think that what you are doing doesnt mean anything!!

I think im gonna try to learn to live again and put this behind me now..
I really feel what u r going through. I do. I had a motorcycle accident in 2008. I was not sexually active again until September of 2012. When I did have protected sex with a female from my childhood. There was a misshap with the condom sliding down. But not all the way off. As a precaution. I went and got tested for everything. And a week later. The doctor called me with a HSV 2 positive result. I was so stunned. I didn't hear anything after that. I Inadvertainly hung up the phone. Called the partner I had sex with. And she knew she was positive. I could have choked the living **** out of her. We had a long argument about it. And things were said. She said that she has two kids. Neither are positive for the virus. And her ex husband didn't test positive. So how did I? I haven't had any type of outbreak. But I still feel so dirty and used. I want to have a son. Because my only brother died. And I am the last male with the family name.  I fell into a deep depression. Witch is where I am now. I can't shake it. Who's gonna want me now. I don't have sex. Because I am an honest person. And I would have to disclose that info. I can't. I am a private person. So I will most likely NEVER have sex again. So how likely is a false positive? And should I go and get tested again?  I am so mentally screwed up. I don't know what to do.
I have just been diagnosed with HSV 2 . I'm so young and have had 5 partners. I recently got tested because i went to the doctor for a really bad yeast infection, i had symptoms of a yeast infection and bacterial infection, every std screening came back neg except for the herpes. I'm wondering if it could possibly be a false pos? should i go to by obgyn to get tested again? they sent my blood to a lab and said that they found antibodies. and that there was enough for it to be considered pos. the doc said this was an incidental finding and was not related to my yeast/vaginitis that i originally went to the doctor for. could it be something other than herpes? could it be my body fighting off that infection still? I'm only 18, this news has ruined my life and i don't know what to do.
If he is "too scared" then truly you are dumb (I mean no evil only being frank) because it would seem if you were always negative then he is acting suspicious like he is to blame?  Anyway...you must DEMAND he be tested with the results of you both mutually discussed.  Any person not mature enough to want to know if they have a spreadable STD...should especially NOT be having sex & any woman still having sex with them is ASKING for it!