false positive???????? HELP!!!!!!
Hi, i just tested low positive at 2.19 for hsv2, i think, i was in shock when the dr told me. it was 2. something, anyhow, i have been tested religoously for the last 10 years and always rendered a negative result, i have been with my current partner for the last year, he claims to never have had any symptoms.  I have never had any symptoms at all.  have always tested negative and am not promiscuouis at all!  I truely do not believe this test result, the dr. said it could be a false negative an not to worry about it to come in and get retested tomorrow.  not worry?  yea right!!  i feel like i want to die!!   how likely is it that this is a false positive and should i request a western blot?  
I honestly cannot believ this.  by the way, i tested negative for it in march of this year and have only had one partner, the same one i had then.  HELP!!!
Dumbone- I completely understand your anxiety. Ive been through it..and still after testing positive 3 times.. i feel like i still have unanswered questions..but how much more can i test,,and how much more can i know about this stupid virus... NOTHING.. i feel like ive read every post and every handbook...!  Its doesnt define who you are. But what does define who u are in sleeping with a married man. Who the f does that? i know its not my business but i almost feel like saying "are u kidding me, I get herpes from a cheating bf who i was manipulated by, and this girl is probably negative, and is sleeping with someones husband"... call it bitter or whatever. I sincerely wish u luck...i wouldnt wish this on anyone.. but get your own husband.
at asianlore I appreciate your well wishes but do not appreciate you passing judgement on me.  You have not walked in my shoes, or lived my life or his.  And i did have my own husband for 18 years.  

I never pass judgement on anyone as everyone is human (including you) and we all make our fair share of mistakes.   so in answer to your question of who the f*** does that?  ALOT of people!!!  

In life alot of things get in the way and prevent ending a bad marriage, life, kids, bills, property...  see where im going with this, if you think you are holier than thou, you are probally wrong!!  I never thought i would 'sleep' with a married man either, but  as humans do, we evolve, we change, we all dissapoint ourselves at some point.  Does this make me feel good?  NO, but he does!!  And i do love him.  I have slept with 5 people in 24 years, I am by no means a *****!!  

I am sorry about your current situation, i would never wish bad things on anyone, including my ex!!!

But according to your post, if you judge me like that, i feel bad for the people who post about prostitudes and one night stands.  Cause who the f*** does that????  ALOT of people do!  It is a fact and it does not make them bad people.

This forum is here for information and support from people who are experts and those who are gooing through the same thing.  Not for people to pass judgement on you.  That is why so many people are not even honest with their doctors about their past, they are scared people will judge them.  I was just being honest with my post.

Hope you feel better.  Have a good day!!

I seemed to have missed the part about you sleeping with a married man... I'm not going to pass judgment.  It's not my place to.  But just think about his wife in this, also.  What if your husband of 18 years cheated on you & passed herpes (or another horrible disease) onto you?  All this pain and suicidal thoughts you're experiencing she may go through, as well.  We all make mistakes. But we have to learn from them, not continue them.
You are right and im sorry about the judgemental comments. And i dont know the entire situation...and no i have never walked in your shoes. I just hope he is honest with his wife . I've been the "other girl"..and ive been the one cheated on.. Im sure A LOT of people have and its not fun when dishonesty results in things like this. There is no reason for it.

and regarding men who cheat on their wives/ gfs with prostitutes they are pigs..and now that they think they have herpes they are sorry... come on now.  There is no reason to put anyone's health at risk. Someone who f***s prostitutes and then has unprotected sex with their gf or wife in my opinion is a bad person. You can't put someone's health (the most important thing in life) at risk for someone you love.. that isnt love.   best of luck
@ still...  I have thought about his wife, and if i have contracted this disease it is deff from him.  He is the only person i have been with for a year.  i tested neg in april this year.  I have talked to him about his test and if he is pos that he needs to tell his wife, because he could pass it to her.  or hell who knows she could have given it to him.  At this point i am hoping that none of us has it!!  And in case you didnt notice in my post, i have not slept with him since i was tested.  And i dont know if i will again.  I know i was std free when we started dating, i have been tested regularly for 10 years.  even though i was married, and didnt cheat, you never really know if he does.  so i tested at every pap exam.  just to be sure.  

Until we get the tests we need, i am trying not to be angry or blame him, because as i have stated before, i t takes two to tango, i didnt ensure my protection.  That doesnt make it better though.

@ asian...I am not perfect at all, i have made my share of mistakes and have regrets, so does he.  And i have been cheated on before, maybe thats where my mentality changed.  But like i said, i am not going out sleeping with everyone i can or trying to steel other peoples husbands.  I didnt initiate our relationship and wasnt aware of her in the begining.  I have wanted to stop because of that for a long time, but we are human, and having and feeling love and not being alone and laughing often alter your intentions.  

I just want to get my head straight, but i do love feeling someones arms around me at night.  Our eyes are in our heads not in our hearts!  So what we see alot of times is trumped by what we feel.  Yes i am a bad person for that, i guess.  I dont know, im just sad and confused and alone and miserable ... except for when he is around.  dumb, yea, my life, yes.

We all do things we regret, that is what makes us human!  But the fact that my sexual partner is married does not change the situation i am in, or the confusion, or the hurt or the anxiety!  it actually makes it worse!  it doesnt change that doctors do not know the most up to date information or how to test acurately for this disease or the anxiety and hurtful feeling we feel for it.  

It just means that the man i love (who stupidly did not know his staus ever in the past) is married to someone else, and will never be truely mine.

Asianlore, i am so sorry that your ex did this to you.  He should have been careful and not put you at risk.  I agree that my partner is a ********* to his wife.  Life is complicated and it sucks, i wish it came with instructions!!
OK, so i just drove 5 hours to get the biokit test done.  results - Negative!!!!  I was so relieved and have more hope now

partners test is still pending as is my other repeat test.

I do thiink i am still going to do the wb.  but it felt good to see that!!
Grace, what do you make of the biokit test i just took?  It was negative, and i can say the 20 min wait was awful. lol  i nearly passed out!  But I am relieved alot right now, and believe it was worth the drive and money, but i am still nervous.  from what i have read, it helps in distinguishing a false positive, but im soo worried  still!!!  

I am trying to be patient waiting for my partners results, and what if my 'repeat' test is still a low positive?  this is so confusing and stressful.  Which test then would i believe?  And what is the dna test suppose to even look for?  will it really tell me anything? I am going to order the WB i think, i just need to know.  

Again, thank you for all your help and your patience, it has to be hard dealing with freaked out people all the time.  Bless you
Congrats!!!!
THANK YOU ASHAMED,  I am still so nervous though and dont know what to do or what to believe!!!
No one is even answering me anymore...so I guess I'm done
yea, noone really answers me anymore either, at least not for anything but to judge me.  lol, im just really wanting to know the answers and get graces opinion.
So does a negative biokit confirm that it was a false positive igg?  I took the biokit 3 weeks after the blood test.  Biokit was NEGATIVE

Still awaiting partners results, but im confidant they will be neg.  

Is this good news?
Ok so update, partners test was negative, last guy i was with before him (ex) was negative, my repeat blood test 1.82????  first one was 1.26

I dont get it, if neither my ex or current partner has this then why are my tests sitll coming up low pos?  i was neg in april.

negative by biokit

this is still a low pos, and i have a neg biokit, negative partners, and a neg dna blood draw, what now?  what does this all mean?
Some people test at a low positive for the rest of their lives.  The reason for this is unknown.  Perhaps cross-reactivity with something else in your blood.  1.82 is still a very low positive.  I would say the negative Biokit trumps the 2 low positives.  If you need further confirmation, get the WB.  Not much else to do at this point.

As Grace says, I'd be dancing in the streets if I were you.  Have a good Thanksgiving.
right - if you really need the peace of mind get the WB but the odds ofyou having hsv2 are fairly low.
Thank you Grace, im so sorry to interupt thanksgiving. lol which by the way if you want to bake, i have a lot of ingrediants in my kitchen but dont really feel like cooking them. lol  you bake, i clean? lol

i am trying to find a way to get the western blot, it is horrible how hard it is to get!    I am trying though, i have much going on in my life, divorce, sarcoid, hysterectomy next month, high blood pressure, work, kids, bills.  I am very stressed!  Also i do have sarcoidosis, diagnosed 12 years ago, had it flare up earlier this year in my lungs.  I know this is an immunodefficiancy disorder, could this have anything to do with crazy test results? just came to mind.  most people have never heard of it. lol  

Thanks again and dont work to hard!!
yayay!!!!  u have a lot to be thankful for tomorrow!! no hsv ii!!  

its ashame that doctors are so unfamiliar with the rate of false positive testing. It causes so much unnecessary stress...but those days should be over for u.

best of luck with everything else. happy tday.
@ asianlore,

Thank you sooo much!!! But i still feel like 'i just dont know'!!  I know what all the facts say, but my head is in such a terrible place that all i hear are those two low positives.  

Honestly!!!  This should not be so hard for anyone. How can doctors be so uneducated?  And so uncaring to the stress that this does cause.  I am going to get the WB done just to confirm, because my head is in a horrible place right now.  

I appreciate your kind words though!!!  Thank you so much, and have a great Turkey day!!!
Hi dumbone,

I check the forums as often as life permits.  I used to be very active here and happened to just read your thread.  I wanted to give a few pieces of friendly thought.  

Our heads play games with us.  We sometimes regret decisions or feel we are being punished for our actions in some way.  I completely disagree (as have others here) that someone comes to this forum to judge any member who posts.  It fustrates me to no end to see that.  In your case you have to remind your head and yourself what you are doing and what the logical response should and is here.  

You actually do know.  You just choose to not accept it.  Look at what you know.  

1.  You know that HSV-2 tests are better then the testing we have for HSV-1.  Considering that more people will know their status then having a rate of almost 10-15% I believe the number is that people who have HSV-1 will not know without the culture testing.

2. You know that HSV-2 has a Biokit test and which compared against the HSV WB test showed accurate results pretty darn good (I believe it was higher then 95%).  

3.  You know that HerpeSelect is one of the best tests out there as it was compared to the HSV WB testing.  

4.  You know that the WB is the GOLD standard when testing with HSV.  

I can share a personal experince if I may.  I wrote a blog entry detailing the amount of pure hell (and how rich I made the doctors and testing company).  But a brief overview was that I had an unprotected oral encounter with another male (various reasons why but anyway).  I came to this very forum freaked out paid for 2 doctor posts including my free posts and responses from various people (petal, Grace, and leap).  I couldn't accept I didn't have Herpes.  My point of breaking would be going to the bathroom.  I have a mirror that magnifies.  I use it for shaving good when going on interviews and it is used by various other household members.  I get more bumps on my legs then I have ever noticed.  I would be in that bathroom for 30-45 minutes with the mirror and a big bright light on me.  I was checking every corner of my body.  If I got a bump I can tell you I was at the dermatologist having him look at me.  I kid you not.  I spent 50.00 bucks each visit. I saw him in the course of 3 months 10 times. That is 500.00!  He would look me over tell me what I knew.  

Now our stories differ.  Your encounter differs and your test results differ.  But we also see and can relate to that "fear".  We know that the testing numbers in a range according to our doctors here have a high times and chance to be false positive numbers.  Your range was in that really low chance of being a real positive. But you have a stack of evidence to show you aren't going to have it.  For example if I told you that you could get pregnant without having male intercourse you would know I am lying because you know how babies are created. Its that evidence you have that supports it.  So your mountain of evidence in this case is the Biokit test and your parenters test as negative. It is hard to tell someone that they got something when there is no proof the other person had it.  

Now you talked about how could doctors be so uneducated and so uncaring to the stress that it causes.  I don't know your profession so I can't speak for your job. But the medical field and the computer field are just about the same.  I have worked in computers for a LONG time.  I know a lot about computers.  I attened various conventions and training sessions for new equipment.  But there is still a lot I don't know and I can't keep up with.  Being a doctor is the same way.  Let's consider that your doctor is a family doctor think of how many viruses change each year (FLU is a good one) how many new techniques come out for testing for autism or new standards of care for fighting streph or staph.  While a lot of things may stay the same (bone breaks you have to set it and let it heal) other things change. Each year we learn more and more about viruses and bacteria and on and on.  These doctors have to do patient care, keep up with the changes to medicine, do continueing education time, etc etc.  Their specialty (or lack of) in a family doctors world is so varied each day.  Now talk to a dermatologist and they can tell you a lot of skin and while those changes to things happen they only work with skin.  One patient in one room isn't there about the flu and the second room about pimples, and the other room treatment for high cholesterol.  

So when they go on to learn and keep up to date some times things that aren't really life threatening take a back seat to things that can kill someone.  It is important and they do need to keep up to date but sometimes they can't keep up with the sheer volume.  I bet that doctor knows what it is like to not know things.  Those doctors I bet too wish they could just pull out a scanner and tell you right there what is wrong.  But they can't they go off the testing that they know and evaluate the situation.  They can't speed up those test results much when the blood has to go to the lab and that lab then has to run the blood based on what they got from your doctor and the others they have.  

But as I said keep in mind your life right now should be better.  Calm yourself down and look at those facts.  You tested negative. Your partner tested negative. So if he doesn't have it how could you?  Chances of the HSV-2 being missed on his test is low and chances of a number in your range being positive are low.  
I love the post!  I especially agree that the medical field and computer field or any other job are the same in that things are constantly changing. I also understand that some things like stupid herpes take a back seat, and they just have to.

I dont want to say where I work (not in the medical field), but its a place that anyone would think is absolutely reliable, but Im telling you that it has made me realize that some people just dont do their job right and it causes detrimental events.  With my personal HSV testing, I imagined people at the labs using expired test kits, not properly storing the test kits, contaminating the tests some how.... just because i know a lot of people make stupid mistakes, or are incredibly lazy.

i can also relate to the amount of time with the hand mirror.. LOL.

Thanks for the post.

Thank you so much mistakeguy. i am really trying to convince my brain of this fact as is my partner, but the numbers just keep lurking at me.  I am gonna get the western blot, but its so expensive it is gonna take a min.  I will redo the biokit next month again, just to reassure myself again.  My mind needs a vacation.  @ asianlore, thanks again, i know what you mean, i work with people who take short cuts all the time too, i think the same things and honestly my hand mirror is still by my sink and every trip to the bathroom results in a mini exam of my body.  it is horrible.  Happy thanksgiviing
I continually try to convince myself that all is well.  I know that the biokit is very accurate and that my partners negative and my ex is also negative, theere is really no reasonable explanation for my low positive.  I was negative in april and in oct of last year.  I have never had any symptoms to make me believe i have it.

But those damn numbers keep playing on my mind!  1.26 and 1.82, both low i know, but why would it go up in numeric value?  I dont get that!    the blood tests were 2 weeks apart, but the biokit was done a week after the 2nd blood draw???  and biokit was negative!  So that was the most recent test, no way it could be a new infecction, as partner is negative!!  So what is going on?

I do have sarcoidosis, which is an autoimmune disease, and it recently flared up in my lungs and became active in may,  could this alter the test results at all?

And will i always test low positive even if im negative??  How do i explain that to new partners??
I missed the offer to clean up after I cooked and baked - heck we might have a deal girl!!!! lol  

we don't know exactly why the false positives occur. some folks have issues with it all the time while others just random false positives.  that's why in the absence of obvious symptoms/lesion cultures we recommend the confirmatory testing with low positives.  

I'd recommend just using the herpes WB for future herpes screenings.  any quest lab can perform it if your provider orders it.  if your provider uses quest labs, if they call their main company ( not the local lab ), they have terrific people familiar with the false positive issues who will talk to them and educate them and let them know about confirmatory testing.  I've met several of them now at conferences and they are very helpful!

Thanks grace!!!  You cook, i clean, sounds like a deal!! lol  

Do you truely believe that this is a false positive based off of all the facts here?

no way it would be a new infection, if my partner is negative.  and is the biokit negative 3 weeks after the first low positive more dependable?  Should i trust that test now until i can get the WB?  

Is it really posible that i am totally freaking myself out for no reason?

Thanks grace!
love to cook!!!  love to eat....he he he   you want to clean and keep my wine glass properly filled - it could work out just fine!

almost has to be a false positive if your former partners were properly tested and were negative and you've been tested before and were negative.  
I think i could do the cleaning and keep the wine flowing.  LOl

Thanks so much grace.  I am really trying to convince myself that the biokit and the fact my partners are negative and i was negative in april are the accurate facts.  its just hard because those stupid numbers keep apearing in my dreams.  lol  I am going to get the WB done as soon as i can afford to, hopefully next month.  I am assuming that since it was over 6 months since i was with my ex, and my current partner is negative that it will be accurate at this point.

Also, one more question.  when i did the biokit, it had been 22 weeks since last encounter with my ex.  Would this have been enough time to accurately test with biokit, considering my new partner is negative?

Should i just stop freaking out so much and worrying myself sick?  

BTW my therapist started me on zoloft and gave me some sleeping pills.  i hope that helps.

yes it was enough time for the biokit.

hopefully some good sleep helps :)
I am going to retest with the biokit when i get back from out of town.  I hope that gives me some peace, i have a new dr trying to order the WB and he really seems to believe i am negative.  I hope so!!  I will keep everyone posted
Good luck to you dumbone, we are going through the same thing!!
although i tested positive 3 times with herpesselect. Three low positives in that order:
IGG 1.34
IGG 1.22
IGG 1.94
I never had an outbreak and i have been dealing with this since July!!
I finally ordered a WB ($162.50) and had to overnight it with Fedex (from Florida-another $65) and i am officially a broke college student now. I should get my results sometime by the end of the week.

Good luck to you and I encourage you to order the WB as well
hi, i hope you are well.  did you ever get your results?

Grace, i am just back from out of town on buisness.  this is so stressful.  should i trust the biokit?  i am going to get another one done next week, just to ease my mind, still working on getting the WB.  I am so worried.  still no sypmtoms.  i dont know what to think
just an update, i am going tomorrow to get the biokit redone.  just need something until i get the wb.  I will post the update!  wish me luck!  

still no symptoms, no anything!!! including no sex !!! lol  its been over 2 months since sex with my partner who tested negative.  

26 weeks since sex with my ex.  if this biokit is negative should i try and accept that as the truth while i wait for the wb?
Went today and took the biokit again!!  It was NEGATIVE!!!  I am overjoyed, but still confused.  Do 2 negative biokits trump the low positives?  

I believe the biokit is right, what should i believe till i get the WB?
this is great newsss!! YAY!!...   I think u need to weigh the pros and cons of western blot testing..  If u get the western blot and its negative..then can u move on 100% knowing that you havent been exposed? or will u still have doubt since u tested positive IGG?   What if the test is indeterminate? ... What I am trying to say is where does it end?  If the WB is positive, u still had 2 negative biokit? so where would u go from there?   I just think nothing is 100%...its almost like finding proof of life after death.  We will never know 100%... there are things that happen that suggest it..but u will never know for sure.. especially since u dont have outbreaks..  Somethings we just cant get to the bottom of.

Life is too short... odds are ur negative..and u should live u life that way!

If u feel like u need the WB, then do it. It wouldnt cause harm, except to ur bank account. ahah.   keep us posted   GOOD LUCK! :) OXOX
thank you asianlore!!!  I have been thinking about it, i do want to just accept that two negative biokits are good enough, and as of today i am going to assume i am truely negative!!  I will probaly end up gettting the WB, but for now, i am negative!!!  Thank you for your kind words and support!  i need them
congrats!!!!!!!!!
Thank you ashamed.....  I appreciate the well wishes
grace... what is your take on my 2nd negative biokit.  its been 26 weeks for exposure to ex, who says he tested negative and 10 weeks since last contact with current negative partner.  should i trust this as true negative results?
Terri already responded to this on the expert's forum - Grace will no doubt concur with her advice. You know getting the Western Blot is what's recommended for confirm your negative status.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/False-positive/show/1399000
True, and i will get the WB as soon as i can afford to do so

but i have read posts where people get the biokit and it is considered a confirmatory test and believed to be a true negative.  

It is completely confussing and disheartening.  The biokit is considered a really good reliable test, and it has been so long post possible exposure with absolutely no symptoms or signs, would i just be wasting my money to get the WB?  Will i ever know for sure if im truely negative??/
I honestly don't think you need additional confirmation at all.   You had an extremely low positive and negative 2 Biokits.  It's absolutely time to move on.  =)   Congrats on being negative.
Thank you!!  I am trying to move forward, i am just soo confused and scared now.  I truely believe i am negative, i just have the low positive stuck in my head.  I hate this, it has been so hard and has completly sent my life into a tailspin.  I wonder if i will ever accept the truth?  I will get the WB im sure of, and i guess till then, i will assume i am negative and go about life.
Typically we don't advise anyway when a person has posted on the expert's forum. Terri is an expert in the field. She has told you her advice - get the WB and then move on.
I had posted here prior to posting on the expert forum.  thank you to everyone who responds here, but the rude comments really can stop.  I am not rude in any way to anyone on here and try to understand what everyone is going through.  As i hope they understand what i am going through.  If noone has anything but attitude and rude unwarrented comments, then they dont need to post here at all.  I do not believe i have ever offended anyone, but i sense a bit of animosity from a few folks on here.  Im so sorry i am seeking answers and advise.  As i said, i will get the WB as soon as i can afford it, until then, i have had 2 biokits that are negative, and i have to believe that they (at least one of them) would have picked up the infection at this point.  So that is what i am choosing to believe.  I understand you believe some of our thoughts on this to be irrational and 'no big deal', but for some of us, it is a very big deal and every person is differant.  Please try and understand that in the future.  Have a good night and i will keep everyone posted.
As of this point you're asking the same question here on this board that you asked on the Herpes Expert's board. You've been answered by Terri and as such we won't trump her advice. We tell that to all of the folks who are redundant between the boards.

Terri advised you get the WB. Grace agrees, I agree too. When you can afford to do so you will know and can move on with your life.
my point was that if i had lived in the city where i went to to get the biokit, i would have been tested for all stds, including herpes and would have been told i was negative.  I would have accepted that and left believing i was negative.  That clinic doesnt offer the igg test, only the biokit.  I certainly wouldnt have sought out additional testing.  so my question is more, isint it more likely at this point that i am negative?  If i was positive, wouldnt i test that way on all three tests?  the only one left to take is the WB.  And i cant wait to do so.  I will keep everyone posted.
so i took the wb on monday, just waiting for the results, still no symptoms and am trying to keep my chin up.  I will post the results when i get them
so just an update, I had the WB done and got the results:

NEGATIVE FOR HSV1
NEGATIVE FOR HSV 2
NO EVIDENCE OF PRIOR INFECTION WITH TYPE 1 OR 2

I am soo relieved!  But still wonder if i should trust the results ...

I ended up becoming a phone client with terri and she ordered the test at a quest lab nearest me.  The 3 week wait for the results was the absolute worst!  But Terri and her staff are sooooo wonderful!  They made me feel soo at ease and were available whenever i needed them without making me feel like a problem!  Absolute best money i have ever spent! Terri even got on the phone to give the results to me herself!!  and offered to call my dr and educate him on herpes testing.  She is an angel!!

Grace, Terri said i should absolutely trust these results as the final answer to my puzzle.  Do you agree?  Are 2 Negative biokits and aa negative WB definitive?

The last 5 months have been so hard!  But thankfully i found this site and the people on here!   God Bless you all and dont ever think that what you are doing doesnt mean anything!!

I think im gonna try to learn to live again and put this behind me now..
I really feel what u r going through. I do. I had a motorcycle accident in 2008. I was not sexually active again until September of 2012. When I did have protected sex with a female from my childhood. There was a misshap with the condom sliding down. But not all the way off. As a precaution. I went and got tested for everything. And a week later. The doctor called me with a HSV 2 positive result. I was so stunned. I didn't hear anything after that. I Inadvertainly hung up the phone. Called the partner I had sex with. And she knew she was positive. I could have choked the living **** out of her. We had a long argument about it. And things were said. She said that she has two kids. Neither are positive for the virus. And her ex husband didn't test positive. So how did I? I haven't had any type of outbreak. But I still feel so dirty and used. I want to have a son. Because my only brother died. And I am the last male with the family name.  I fell into a deep depression. Witch is where I am now. I can't shake it. Who's gonna want me now. I don't have sex. Because I am an honest person. And I would have to disclose that info. I can't. I am a private person. So I will most likely NEVER have sex again. So how likely is a false positive? And should I go and get tested again?  I am so mentally screwed up. I don't know what to do.
I have just been diagnosed with HSV 2 . I'm so young and have had 5 partners. I recently got tested because i went to the doctor for a really bad yeast infection, i had symptoms of a yeast infection and bacterial infection, every std screening came back neg except for the herpes. I'm wondering if it could possibly be a false pos? should i go to by obgyn to get tested again? they sent my blood to a lab and said that they found antibodies. and that there was enough for it to be considered pos. the doc said this was an incidental finding and was not related to my yeast/vaginitis that i originally went to the doctor for. could it be something other than herpes? could it be my body fighting off that infection still? I'm only 18, this news has ruined my life and i don't know what to do.