Herpes Community
friction burn or herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

friction burn or herpes

I am a 30 yr old male. After masturbation I noticed I had really dry skin on my penis and that I had rubbed two small, I call them friction sores onto my penis. I have experienced similar "friction sores" before so I didn't pay them much attention. The next day or maybe 2 days later I again masterbated and irritated the small sores. They began to get bigger and itch like any little sore would do, but as I itched... it got worse and they got bigger and almost looked infected. I have noticed that around the biggest one has gotten inflamed and sticks up like a small cluster of bumps. its not really painful at all, its more of a tingly feeling or numb feeling. It doesn't hurt to touch the cluster and I don't have any other sores on or around my groin area. Also when I urinate, it kind of has a tingly feeling at first, no discharge or anything like that. I jus last night applied calamine lotion to the area and it is heeling great. The sores are heeling and the inflamation (inflammation) is going down but is still there. I'm wondering if I contracted herpes, I did have unprotected sex with a girl 2 weeks ago or do I jus have an infected sore. I didn't really treat the small sores til the calamine lotion. Please help
Well any time we have an open sore, and you continue to masturbate, you could easily cause infection.

You need to be seen and properly examined to know what's going on. Most likely it is from what you suspect, but if you had unprotected sex you need to rule out STDs.

I would discontinue the calamine lotion, most definitely.

Going forward, be generous with a good lube when you masturbate.
Why discontue the lotion? It appears to be helping tremendously...
"Avoid getting this medication in the eyes, mouth, nose, and genital/anal areas." At least that's what's on the bottle of calamine lotion that I have.

At this point, if you are concerned, be seen by your medical provider. No way to know if it's STD related of from the trauma masturbating.
Thank you... I'm really stressin out about this. I keep reading things about pain and I'm very confused about the pain?? Like what kind of pain? I haven't experienced any real pain, jus itching, but any wound itches right? I'm going to a dr tomorrow but jus want some kind of idea what I may be dealing with... the only herpe symptoms I see is bumps and itching so it worries me. But I didn't have any bumps form then bust open that I'm aware of? Is it possible once that friction burn is infected it would look like that? Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm jus not familiar with any of this stuff and as you can imagine, I don't want to jus ask advice from all my friends you know?
you'd know it if you had pain dear.

going to be seen tomorrow is the best course of action. stop back and let us know how your appointment went.

grace
Well I jus got back from the dr and he thinks its herpes. I have to wait a few days for the results but that's what he said. I tried to tell him I had cuts there before anything else but his opinion was herpes. He also tested for other stds. Can he be wrong or should I just accept that I have herpes and will die alone? Could the cuts have gotten infected and irritated which would give it a herpes look or is it pretty cut and dry that if a dr says its herpes it is? I put antibiotic ointment on it last night and this morning it appeared to be much better. I left the ointment off and no bandage cuz I knew I was going to the dr and when I got there, after some itching on the way it looked very irritated again like not at all what it looked like this morning? Do I need to accept that I have herpes?? Or is there a slight chance that its something else, and if so, what else could it be? Thanks so much for your thoughts...
Did he not do any testing? A visual diagnosis is wrong 1/3 of the time. A swab/culture of symptoms is necessary. Antibiotic ointment won't treat herpes, it's for bacterial infections.

So you think that having herpes means dying alone? Interesting. That would mean more than 1/2 the adult population would be alone!

As to your last questions, did you ask your doctor these??
he did do the swab test. it was actually the only real "pain" ive experienced through this whole thing. he was digging the swab into the sore because he said he couldnt get anything on the swab, no blood or anything??? it took 4 swabs and 4 attempts at, i mean really digging at the sore out before he got one. i havent felt anything that even closely resembled pain like that in this whole time. as for the ointment... i was asking because to me it appears to be doing a better job than anything. i had it on for like 10 hrs and it looked to be 70-80% heeled this morning, now since i was prescribed zovirax cream it doesnt appear to be doing nearly as good as the ointment was doing?? if its not herpes would the zovirax still heel it or no? ive had this on for like 7-8 hrs now. as for my questions to the dr, i told him everything that i put on here and as soon as he looked at it he said it was herpes and went to get the culture tests. i tried to tell him that i never really saw any bumps or them burst and he was convinced it was herpes. he said in his "opinion" it was herpes.@gracefromHHP i saw on another forum you said you most likely dont get it from one encounter? the only sexual encounter ive had in like a month was the one and first time with a girl 2 weeks ago so does that apply here as well? im sorry to ask so many questions its just very emotionally draining thinking about this, its hard to explain in todays society that its very common to have this. he also said i could have had it for years and its only now having an outbreak, is this true? im just holding on to hope that its just some other infection but i guess if he thinks that its herpes it probably is. i just have lots of questions about life after this, like conceiving kids, sexual relations with my wife if i ever could find one while having this... jus stressed!!!!!!
zovirax cream really doesn't do anything for herpes. it hasn't been recommended for using on genital herpes lesions for many, many years now.

at this point all you can do is wait for your lesion culture results but it sounds like they will be negative regardless.  follow up with a type specific herpes igg blood test too.

life after herpes? the same as it was before except for something, you have to avoid sex because you have a recurrence. You can have sex every which way you can, you can have a family - it's not the end of anything at all.
the cream cost me $50.00 with insurance!!! and your telling me that its not a good medicine? why is it not recommended? are the blood tests better? what does the culture test tell you? and if the ointment was working before should i go back to that? thanks again
also... (sorry) why do you say the tests will be negative? are these not accurate tests?
acyclovir cream only heals herpes lesions half a day sooner than using a placebo.   darn shame your provider isn't up to date and caused you to spend that sort of money needlessly :(

the culture would ideally tell you if you had herpes going on. unfortunately there is a high false negative rate and sounds like there wasn't much to culture if it took them 4 tries.  
what is placebo? and what would be the best test to take if the culture test has a high negative rate? would herpes be oozing something?
placebo is a cream without any active medication in it.

you can seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test 3 months after the last time you had sex.
whats the western blot? can i get the placebo at any pharmacy?
you don't want to use a placebo cream dear.
the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com has information on getting tested for herpes for more reading.
so should i stop using this cream he prescribed?
it's not going to hurt but it's not going to help much either.  
thanks you have been a TREMENDOUS help! i was not at all educated in this subject and still have lots to learn but its very nice knowing that there is something like this that you can get info from.
how long once u start using the cream should u see results? and if it wasnt herpes would this cream still heel the lesions anyway?
sometimes just the moisturizers in the cream help whatever is going on.

continue to follow up with medical providers as needed.
the zovirax cream is actually starting to burn it?? is that normal? also, once you start the medicine does that make the outbreak go into remission? like could it get worse before it gets better?
it shouldn't burn. stop using it tonight and contact your provider about it tomorrow to seek out further advice.
Well the dr jus called and said the culture test came back positive. They said it didn't specify a type and that they go by the location of the outbreak. I asked about igg testing and they seem to discourage me from that and said there isn't much way to determine the type that they were the same except for there location?? I'm quite depressed about this considering chances of this being wrong are slim to none... would my last sexual encounter with a girl be the prime suspect of where I got it from or could it have been dormant inside of me for years and now jus showing its ugly face? Do I need to have protected sex for the rest of my life now? I was negative for hiv, ghonorhea, syplilis, hep c but they did not blood test for herpes. How rare is hsv1 in the genital area and how do I find out which type it is? Thanks
Call the office now and insist on typing of the culture. If the specimen is still there, the lab can type it.
There's no such thing as "location of the outbreak" - it is possible to catch HSV1 genitally, not only orally. They are outdated.

It's important to know the type to know the prognosis - HSV2 reoccurs and shed more, HSV1 less, etc.
I jus talked to them and they said they would type it, it will take 3-5 days to get results. They seem to think its no big deal, they said I could have unprotected sex as long as there was no outbreak? Also, if this has been inside of me for a while what could make it finally appear?
You'll need to have a culture or blood test done to determine if it is HSV-1 (oral herpes) or HSV-2 (genital herpes).  Both viruses can affect either area.  HSV-1 infection in the genital region is becoming increasingly common.  Up to 80% of people have HSV-1 antibodies in their blood, and up to 25% of people have HSV-2 antibodies, which means they have been exposed to the virus at some time.  So you are not alone!  The stigma the disease carries far outweighs it's effects.  You will most probably find it is a minor skin irritation, and with sensible precautions (like avoiding sex during an outbreak, safe sex with new partners and discussion in long-term relationships) it will have little impact on your life. There is plenty of information on the web.  Talk to your Dr, or perhaps find a Dr with more experience with HSV.
In theory, the virus may have been in your bloodstream for any length of time, but usually symptoms appear within 14 days of exposure.  So chances are you were exposed when you had unprotected sex 2 weeks ago.  Outbreaks can occur if the body is stressed or the skin surface is damaged so it could also be that the 'friction' you describe activated the virus.
Acually, the virus can be transmitted even without visible outbreaks are present, since the virus is shed from skin from time to time, with no symptoms.
If you want to avoid transmission, it would be best to take on suppressive therapy - taking antivirals everyday - and using condoms. This way, risks of transmission are very low. Grace will give you the details on that.

But as I said above, the type of herpes will define your approach.

And yes, it could be an old infection - in your first post, you mention recurrent friction burns - they might have been herpes outbreaks. If you get a blood test for HSV2 IgG now and it's negative, most likely it's a new infection; if it's positive, it's most likely an old one. Have you talked to your last partner about it?

I have not only because I don't wanna frighten her or start any unnecessary rumors right now. I would be looked upon as dirty and don't wanna deal with that on top of this. Should I at least ask her if she's ever been tested?
Maybe it would be better to wait for your culture results and pursue a blood test to try to understand if this is a recent infection or not. Then you can decide what to do and who to talk to.
I wouldn't have known I had genital herpes for quite sometime if I hadn't have had a partner come to me to tell me that they had been diagnosed with genital herpes and they were pretty sure it came from me. I had no idea. at this point since you've had no blood testing to try to tell if it's a new infection or not, why not give your last partner a heads up so that they too can pursue testing for themselves?  Don't be accusatory, just state the facts as you know them - you never noticed symptoms before, you just found out you have herpes, you don't know the type yet but it's probably not a bad idea for her to test to see what her own status is.  since you've had similar symptoms before, no easy way to know if this is new infection for you or not unless you also get a type specific herpes igg blood test done.

encourage your clinic to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines. they desperately need to update their herpes testing knowledge it sounds like. CDC recommends typing of all herpes infections and them not following those standards of care is not in their best interest as well as not in the best interest of their patients.

grace
will i ever be able to receive oral sex unprotected again? what do you recommend i do now that i know im positive. i do not want to transfer this to anyone else. i have an on again off again love interest and she is going to be devistated to hear this, i really wanna have my facts straight and know what im talking about before i break the news to her. what the best preventative medicine i can take? im jus so confused and feel so disgusting jus lookin for some answers.

thanks
yes you will be able to receive unprotected oral sex. it'll be totally up to you and your partner what precautions to take.

your on and off partner will also need tested to know what her status is too. assume nothing!

did you read the handbook link we gave you?
I have a question for you. It is difficult for me to shower because everytime I dry off with a towel, I find later on that day that single little red bumps will have risen on my skin in places like my forearm, my shoulder...areas that I know were not infected at the time of my initial contact with the person who infected me. How can I avoid this, because I thought that in between outbreaks this should be safe..."(like avoiding sex during an outbreak)". But the phrase "dduring an outbreak" has come to be irrelevant as the infection seems to spread from where ever I touch and even transmitted by a towel. Reading information online, I thought this would not beable to happen. Also, what is the point of taking valacyclovir if the drug information clearly states that is does NOT preven the spread of herpes. I could order some, but I wonder why I should pay for an expensive med that still wont allow me to have skin contact let alone sex. I cant even keep from spreading it on my own body. Please try to understand my concern and take into considerato everything I have mention if you indeed choose to reply.
Please start your own post instead of hopping into someone else's post.
I do like his questions tho... so basically jus because I sleep with someone or receive oral, it doesn't mean they will automatically get infected?
correct. you are not contagious 24/7/365 and your partner is always more likely NOT to contract herpes from you than to get it.

really, read the handbook and watch the patient counseling video on the same site. both are very informative.
Thank you! You are awesome!
so your saying that if you have oral sex once your partner will not be infected with herpes?
Ok update... the dr just called and said the type was hsv1. 1st question is.. how accurate are the typing tests? And now that I've been diagnosed with 1 and not 2, does this mean that I can transfer 1 to another genital area and how often are the outbreaks? Do I need to take daily meds to prevent tranfer, and can the 1 be transferred if someone performs oral on me? If so, would they jus get hsv1? Thanks
so the  lesion culture was hsv1+?

you already have hsv1 in the entire genital area. you don't have to worry about transmitting it to other genital areas.

on average, hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often.

if you have a regular partner, they need tested to know their own status.  

can you transmit your hsv1 to a partner, you can but the risk of such is pretty low.

have you read the free herpes handbook yet?