genital hsv 1 or 2?
I have always gotten cold sores, my whole life. Recently I had a genital outbreak which I have never had before. I went to the doctor and had a blood test and only tested positive for HSV 1. I am supposed to go back and get tested again in a couple months. What are the chances that I had an HSV 1 genital outbreak? And how possible is it that I might test positive for HSV 2 in my next blood test?
What were your symptoms like?  Have you had unprotected sex lately?
at this point your partner needs a type specific herpes igg blood test done. if this is a newly acquired infection, it might take months for hsv2 to show up on your blood test.

if this wasn't a regular partner who you can easily ask to get tested, should you get a recurrence of symptoms before the 3 month waiting period is up, be seen within 48 hours of their appearance for a lesion culture of your symptoms.

grace