Herpes Community
ghsv1 dating someone with ohsv1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

ghsv1 dating someone with ohsv1

A little background?  I got ghsv1 around 1 1/2 yrs ago via oral sex from a guy I was seeing who did NOT have a obvious cold sore at the time.  Imagine my surprise!!  As far as I know, my primary has been my one and only "obvious" very painful outbreak.  I get irritated from time to time down below, but then I did before I got ghsv1 so its hard for me to tell if its a outbreak?  No sores, just irritation.  I guess you can say Im sensitive to anything...
Questions are....I have been dating a man who is aware of my status.  I have been taking suppressive therapy and we have been using condoms.  To his knowledge he has never had a cold sore.  Anyway...he is kind of old school, in his early 50's and I have been trying to get him to get tested.  Yesterday, we were together and one thing led to another :) and we started getting it on.  The next thing I knew, he was on me with a smile telling me he got tested and he was positive for type 1 as well.  Imagine my surprise when he then proceeded to have unprotected sex with me.  Now Im scared and nervous :( .  Im so afraid of hurting him by giving him what I have.  I asked him afterwards when he went.  He is such a private person...that he said he just went to his pcp, asked for a full physical including labs and all things sex including hiv.  He said the nurse called him a little over a week later saying he was positive for herpes, that there is no way of telling when he got it.  Only...he has no idea what test they did??  And I know there is no way he will call and ask.  Just getting him there was HUGE.  My fear is it was a IGM test.  Do they still do those when asked to be tested?  If it was what are the odds of a false positive?  If it was the correct test, IGG type specific...what are my odds of transmitting it to him if he has oral and mine is genital?  Again, I do take acyclovir twice a day everyday just in case it helps?  Plus...during sex I felt irritated and even bled just a tad.  I looked afterwards and cannot see anything outside or inside of me.  How can I tell if irritation is anything other than just that?
OK, enough rattling.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have been a nervous wreck since.  Googling the heck out of all of this.
What did your outbreak look like? I currently have a little round flat non bumpy place on my labia majoria that comes back ever now & again.  I shave down there & have been fire the past 5 years or so. I had a blood test come.back that said I have hsv1 but I don't ever remember having a cold sore. I had this place come up while I was pregnant with my daughter about 6/8months & asked my obgyn and he said it looked like nothing. Idk...I'm soooo worried. Help!!
Bump
certainly he's going to have to ask for his exact results so that you have better info as to what testing he had and what his results were.  

you have hsv1 genitally. in general it won't reoccur and daily suppressive therapy isn't really necessary for it.  The odds of transmitting it to a partner , even if they don't have hsv1, are incredibly low too.

you also need to talk to your partner - his proceeding with unprotected sex without your permission isn't respectful to you at all.

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers