Herpes Community
hair loss and herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

hair loss and herpes

I started losing hair, and my doctor tested me for genital herpes
It came back positive,
anyone elae have this
i am freaked
You started losing hair so the first thing your doc did was test you for genital herpes??  Hmmm...my guess is the hair loss has nothing to to with herpes.  Also, what kind of test was used?  Make sure you had a type specific (IgG) test, such as HerpeSelect.
Good luck,
Em
Are you sure your Doctor didn't say you needed a HAIRPIECE and not that you had HERPES?????? They do sort of sound the same....  hahaha
Genital herpes does not cause hair loss.  Why your doctor choose to test you for herpes based on that I have no idea.  If that's all the work up they did on you - I'd find a different doctor!

Can you get a copy of your herpes blood test results and post their numeric values here - ie hsv1 igg 3. 6 and hsv2 igg 5. 7 or whatever they are? We can better help you with the herpes part of all this if we see your results.

grace
Hair loss can be due to many factors, and most cases of hair loss are temporary. A drastic change in your diet could cause it. Hormonal factors could cause it. Sometimes certain vitamin deficiencies could cause it. Certainly stress can cause it. And on and on, ad nauseam.

You need a different doctor if this quack thought your hair loss was related to herpes. You need a general medical exam and probably some general lab studies, but that's about it. If those come up negative, chalk it up to stress and work on that issue.
Lysine is a vitamin recommended for herpes patients long term of this vitamin causes hair loss!