Herpes Community
having a hard time coping.

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

having a hard time coping.

I was just diagnosed with ghsv1 from my bf when he gave me oral sex. Two days after oral I started to itch and went to my gyn. I thought it was a yeast infection and I had a blister where a culture was taken from and was positive for hsv 1.

I have not coped well because since then my bf has left me. He tested and was negative but a week later after being tested had a visible blister on the corner of his mouth. My GYN told me its not a big deal that almost everyone has it and I am far less contagious than those who have oral hsv1. Is this true? Ive always been careful and never had it occurred to me that I could get anything from a cold sore. Ive been with my bf for years.

I dont get it:( I cant stop reading online threads. I feel like no one would want me and am very hopeless about everything. Is ohsv1 and ghsv1 the same thing? my GYN said that im letting he stigma of it being on my genitals get to me but its really not a big deal that she deals with a lot of patients who take it as it is.
Transmission of hsv1 to the genitals might take a while to happen; most certainly you got it frm your current partner, specially due to the fact he gets cold sores. The IgG tests for HSV1 are not as good as picking up an infection than the HSV2 test, meaning that false-negative do happen.

No reason to feel bad about it. People don't feel bad about having a cold sore - it's such a common condition. Why bother about genital hsv1? Besides, it shed much less than HSV2 and you'll most likely get very infrequent outbreaks.

I have genital hsv1 for 4 years now and I've had one outbreak per year, very mild ones...most people don't even get outbreaks at all. Just avoid sex during outbreaks and let your partner know about your status.
can i suggest that you get yourself a copy of 'the good news about the bad news' by terri warren. i think that it would really help you.
having genital herpes sux, but if you're going to have it, you're much better off having hsv1 than hsv2. did you know that a lot of people with ghsv1 will never even get a reoccurrence? the other thing is that many of your potential future partners will already have oral hsv1, so you can't give it to them. like bob rope said, you just need to let partners know your status.