Herpes Expert Forum
herpes 1

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

herpes 1
Hello Doctor, i previously posted this in the std forum, but they referred me to here...5 days ago i saw a friend and gave  me a social kiss (cheek to cheek) maybe for 1 or 2 seconds, the thing that worried me is that he had herpes in his cheek, which touched mine cheek, An hour before i had shaved if it makes any difference. My questions are:
1- is it possible to catch herpes 1 this way?
2- if i dont develop symptoms within 2 weeks after that can i consider myself free of this?
3- did you ever seen anyone catch it in this manner?

thanks!
I think it is extremely unlikely that you would acquire herpes in this way.  First, are you sure he had herpes on his cheek?  That would be somewhat unusual, usually it is on the lip.  Also, if you had shaved an hour before, any skin breaks that were present were likely settled down by then.  Yes, if you don't have symptoms in two weeks, I would think you are in the clear.  I have never ever seen someone catch herpes in this manner.  And also, have you actually ever been tested to know that you don't have HSV 1 already??

Terri
yes terri, i dont have hsv1, so you feel my contact was safe and i dont need to worry about it? thanks
Yes, I feel your contact was safe.  If you've tested negative for HSV 1 and it is an accurate result, then this incident did not put you at risk of acquiring herpes.

Terri