Herpes Community
herpes II

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes II

Can a person get Herpes II from a person who has herpes II that performs oral?  How long do you have to wait to get tested for herpes II?
Avatar n tn
it is possible but is low risk, and it takes 4 months for the test i believe.
Genital herpes is transmitted thru direct skin on skin contact with the genital area. If you don't have contact with someone's genital area, you aren't at risk of contracting their genital herpes.

so if someone who has genital herpes has performed oral sex on you, you aren't at risk of contracting their genital herpes so no need for testing from that encounter.

If someone has oral herpes, they can potentially transmit their oral herpes infection to your genital area. In a case like that, unless you get obvious genital symptoms to culture, no need for any testing.

grace
Avatar n tn
now when you say this, "they can potentially transmit their oral herpes infection to your genital area" meaning hsv-1 or hsv-2?
you are confusing site and type I think. You can have either virus in either location.

grace
Avatar n tn
Although you CAN get hsv-2 orally i thought this was EXTREMELY rare and to receive oral sex and get hsv-2 from someone else's oral case would be even rarer?  
About 3% of all oral herpes infections are due to hsv2. It happens but not near as often as transmission of hsv2 in the genital area.

oral hsv2 on average sheds about 1% of days.  The odds of you contracting hsv2 from someone's oral area is very low.  You are more likely to contract hsv1 genitally from someone giving you oral sex than you are hsv2.

grace
If I have hsv2 , & someone performs oral on me , while no signs or breakouts are present , will they get hsv2 or just oral herpes / cold sores ?
Grace, can I run something past you...

I did something really stupid, I was drunk at the weekend and ended up having oral sex with a girl while a friend had sex with her. I'm disgusted with myself. I'm sure my friend is HSV2 positive. I'm woried as the girl gave him oral than me (for maybe a minute). Will this have passed on the infection to me?

I will say again, it was very breif. There was no sex, direct contact, just this incident.

So I am a woman with genital herpes. If a man performs oral sex on me when I am NOT experiencing a breakout, will he only run the risk of contracting oral herpes? Or can he get genital herpes instead or as well?
Ms grace... Would you consider the upper thigh ( limit with left buttock cheek) part of the genital area?

During a brief moment I placed my testicles on that area... There was not sexual intercourse... Just masturbated for about 3 minutes.. In which there where some brief moments when I brushed her thigh.

But we never got to rub each others genitals.

No sign of OB. Heard thick skin from there doesn't shed virus....

Also... At 9 weeks after exposure... I recently tested negative .. With a index number of 0.12.. If I had HSV 2, would you say the numbers could be higher perhaps than that?

I would appreciate yor opinion
Duplicate question. See reply in your other thread.