Herpes Community
herpes and shingles
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

herpes and shingles

So...I have Hv2 and recently had a case of shingles.  During this time, my outbreaks also came out.  This is not fun.  Any advice on how the 2 are related and why one would have BOTH outbreaks at the same time?
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1998092_tn?1391246445
Hi flower220 - The two are related only in that they belong to the same herpes family. Otherwise, they're two different diseases. I'm not a doctor (you should ask yours!), but I suppose it's possible that since an outbreak with HSV compromises your immune system, that then your body has a tougher time fighting the shingles. This is only a guess, however. Do read up on the two viruses, and talk to your doc. Best to you!
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
I removed your other post since it was the same as this one.

not unusual at all if you have a shingles ob for your hsv2 to reactivate. shingles really stresses the body  so it triggering a hsv2 reoccurrence wouldn't be unheard of.

did you take antivirals in the shingles doses to treat the shingles?  how did they diagnose you as having shingles?

grace
Blank
Thank you so much for your help (moving my other post) and response.

I was diagnosed with shingles on Sunday and was put immediately on antivirals.  high doses of ocyclovir

I went to urgent care to get the diagnosis when the painful rash emerged on my foot and back of my leg.

I really thought it was odd, then, to have a hsv2 outbreak as well...but it makes sense with a compromised immune system.

Funny thing is that I am, or thought I was, a very healthy/active person who eats well......apparently not!  I am under a lot of stress.

any info is much appreciated about this.  
Blank
Oh...and I was diagnosed w/shingles with just a simple exam.  Doctor looked at my outbreak on the foot and back of the leg...one side of the body.....listened to me talk about nerve pain and in a few seconds had me diagnosed.  
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
it's unfortunate that they didn't do a lesion culture to confirm shingles :(

at this point, nothing to be done as long as it's all healing.  should the rash appear again on those areas, be seen within 48 hours of its appearance for a lesion culture . shingles rarely reoccurs so you probably won't ever get it again but should it, time for a further work up.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...