Herpes Community
herpes and smoking

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes and smoking

so i discovered i have oral herpes a month ago- i have only told my best friend, my best friend, me, and three other friends were at my friends house when he said he wanted to smoke, everyone agreed. i, wanting to be included, said that  was starting to feel sick and wanted my own piece. everyone was ok with that. but when theres wasnt working my friends pushed to use the pipe and i was freaking out, i didnt know what to do. my best friend was there and didnt know either. so i sprinted inside and started washing it as much as i could... i dont know how good a job i did but when my friend came to take it i also sprayed windex all over it so that he would have to wash it more. i really didnt want to tell these friends, because i didnt trust them enough to keep it a secret. also i was not that worried at this point because i thought herpes only lasted for a few seconds outside the body (it turns out i read wrong and that for genital herpes). they smoked out of it probably about 3 mins after i had used it but im thinking its relatively clean. What are the chances i gave it to them? And yes i know i was a selfish ******* and ill never do anything like this again. it was the first time i had tried to be social and obviously it didnt work. the worst part is i could give this to my best friend, and others too. id feel terrible if that happens.
sharing a pipe isn't a risk for oral herpes transmission.

http://www.ashastd.org/std-sti-works/Herpes/oral-herpes.html  terrific info on oral herpes if you haven't read it yet.

grace
sorry thanks for the help but i dont see where it says pipes arent risks
it's because they aren't a risk. I gave you the link so you could be better educated about your oral herpes instead of scared of it!!!
grace thanks for your help i know im being a bit paranoid but i have a few more questions

1. how long can oral herpes survive outside the body?
2. can i still play beer pong at parties? what about if im having symptoms at the time?
3. how many people have herpes and know that they have it?

herpes can survive for hours outside the body, that said, just coming into contact with the virus without good heat and friction, isn't going to transmit the virus.

beer pong isn't a risk for transmitting your herpes.

most people who have herpes, don't get obvious symptoms and have no idea that they are infected with it unless tested. 1 out of every 2-3 has hsv1 and 1 out of every 4-5 has hsv2.  By the time we start collecting retirement checks, about 80% of us has hsv1 - it's THAT common.
thanks, this has made me feel so much better about how i can live my life due to herpes, it seems like theres a common misconception that you can get herpes if you come in contact with it on an object
people fear what they don't understand. unfortunately most health providers don't take the time to talk to their patients about herpes in general since it's considered a nuisance infection and not a real health risk. folks hear herpes and panic instead of seeking out accurate info :(
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Likelihood-of-HSV-1-transmission-through-sharing-a-pipe/show/1315010

sorry grace for having to ask again, but im just concerned that there is a chance it was transmitted