Herpes Expert Forum
herpes from receiving oral

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

herpes from receiving oral
I had an encounter at the end of October with another man. I am a 36-yr-old male and received unprotected Oral sex. I've tested for Gon/Chlam/NGU/syphalis/HIV (not necessary I know but it was part of the test package) at the end of January/start of February, and they were all negative. I have since read the only other thing I might catch is herpes. Is this true?
I haven't had any symptoms at all, as far as sores or discharge goes (I did have a fever and chest infection and urine infection before christmas and the glands in my neck were up, but that's all better) and as far as I know have never had herpes, orally or genitally (though I've had shingles) but as i'm in a long-term relationship I want to be sure.
Should i test for Herpes? If i was positive, is there a way of telling when I contracted it - could I have had it for (say) more than 6 years and not known, and never passed it on to my regular partner?
I really don't want to pass this on if I do have it. I'm also confused about the type of herpes: having only received oral am I at danger from hsv1 or hsv2, are they both even stds? I hope I'm just a little paranoid!
The herpes you are at risk for from receiving oral sex is almost always HSV 1.  HSV 1 can be an STD if contracted through oral sex or intercourse, but people with cold sores most often get them in a non-sexual way.  HSV 2 is almost always sexually transmitted.

Tell me more about the shingles, where was it?  

Terri
My shingles was about 6 years ago, i think there were spots on my rib and a crushing tight pain. Had that diagnosed by a doctor. Regarding the other questions in my original post, do you think it's likely I've contracted?
Sorry to post again so quick, but where do you stand on the risk of catching herpes from receiving oral? On other parts of these forums I've read that ghonorrea and ngu are the only significant risks from receiving oral, elsewhere that herpes is a risk. Thanks
It is possible to acquire HSV from oral sex but again, it would be HSV 1, not HSV 2.  I think the risk from a single exposure is very low.  The risk of acquiring gonorrhea or chlamydia are also low from a single exposure, but if you develop pain with urination or discharge, please see a health care provider in your area.  Also, you will want to observe for any sores, bumps, lesions in the genital area.

Terri
I will indeed look out for it, though I was under the impression that had I contracted anything these symptoms would have manifested themselves already, given the encounter was end of October? Thanks for you replies.
You're welcome.

Terri