herpes-gastro link/thyroid??
I have the following medical problems:
• Epigastric pain/burn and discomfort
• Thyroid disease (unclassified)
I was affected with a bell’s palsy (facial nerve palsy) 18 months ago(March 2008). The palsy lasted about 3 months for which I took very high doses steroids(glucocorticoids). My consulting neurologist spoke of Bell’s palsy being of viral aetiology which made sense as I had treated and was in close contact with a patient with Herpes simplex virus type 1. This led to me testing for HSV which came up positive and  I started antiviral therapy (Zelitrex). To date my bloods still show up positive for HSV.
While I had the bell’s, I was on high dose steroids and one day I experienced sudden discomfort, pain and watery diarrhoea which I thought was rupturing of my stomach mucosa (ulcer).
I have since then been suffering with my stomach, having abdominal discomfort, burning, pain and reflux. I have to eat smaller meals and wash down with alot of water as I get a felling of  partial gatstric outlet obstruction. My symptoms worsen on ingestion of certain foods: hot liquids, tea, spices, which I have excluded from my diet.
I don’t smoke or drink alcohol.
I have been on PPI’s : 1 tablet daily and gaviscon and Ulsanic for the last 17 months or so. I recently added an extra PPI (nexiam alt with pantocid) to my existing rx.
In the last 2-3 months I experience tingling and numbness of my hands and weakness, fatigue and difficulty maintaining concentration which I thought was due to alkalosis (milk alkali syndrome) for which I did do a blood gas which did reveal mild alkalosis.
I have been for 3 gastroscopes, results of the most recent one is attached, showing intestinal metaplasia and chronic gastriris.

6 months ago I was diagnosed with a thyroid illness, whereby my T3 and T4 are normal but TSH was high and still continues to increase. Last checked it was 22. I also have high levels of antithyroid globulin and antithyroid peroxidise which is in keeping with Hashimotos BUT thyroid ultrasound showed multiple small cysts which is in keeping with subacute thyroiditis OR I have read up on a rare autoimmune disease where the thyroid and gastric tissue can be affected by one disease entity.
Thyroid scan was normal.
I am very tired of feeling ill all the time, fatigue, weakness, difficulty concentrating whether it be from alkalosis or diseases itself and feel I should go for surgery.
I really would like to know your views on the matter  and I eagerly await your reply.
Thanking you very much for your time.
bash786, as a final year medical student, surely you can't be serious about anybody on a herpes web board being able to help you with such in-depth and serious health issues. I don't mean to be so candid, but the last thing you want is an opinion from folks who don't have near the medical knowledge necessary to comment on your situation.

Please do see a doctor - or follow-up with one and hand them this posting that you've typed.
None of what you've mentioned is due to herpes except for the bell's palsy. Hsv1 orally is incredibly common.

grace
I have spoken to so many specialist and read up so much but can't seem to get the right answer, I have been for 3 gastros, 2 thyroid scans, biopsys etc, Im quite fed up actually
grace replied to your question.
If you tested positive right away after your contact wih the patient you could have easily already been HSV-1 positive. Because it ususally takes time to seroconvert. Most all your symptoms dont sound like HSV-1. You should stick with one doc - maybe an internist or somehting and figure it out, I know this isnt helpful but let me tell you - this experience will make you a MUCH MUCH better doctor for it!!!! You'll come through this with skills that will help you for life. When future patient tell you about all sorts of crazy symptoms they are having you will investigate properly and not tell them its all in their head. THis is a great thing! Med school is stressfuul and I know lots of students develope quite severe conditions... funny thing anyone I know has had thyroid issues as well,  its cause you guys are so stressed out and workign so hard.

Anyway, you could pay to submit questions to the docs but I think this forum is the wrong place for you..... sorry(: Good luck, you will come through this!!!!