Herpes Community
herpes like symptoms but not herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes like symptoms but not herpes

I am a healthy 32 year old man who is faithfully married for almost 3 years now.  Neither my wife or myself have ever had any herpes like symptoms before and we have both tested negative for all STDs.  About 3 weeks ago my wife started taking birth control pills to regulate her period and about 3 days after she started taking them we had sex a couple times and the next day an itchy rash developed on my penis and then the day after that it developed into clumps of blisters from the tip of my penis to the base accompanied by flu like symptoms.  About five days later I was able to consulted a doctor and he prescribed valtrex and performed a test for HSV-1 and HSV-2, I tested negative for both and my wife also tested negative for both.  My symptoms did begin improve and my blisters were gone after about 10 days on the valtrex.  We had sex again for the first time since this whole thing started and within hours the itchy sensation has returned.  Neither my wife or myself have had any other sexual partners since we've been married.  My wife has been dealing with some woman's issues since having our daughter but her doctor told us it was nothing to be worried about and her treatment has taken care of them.  Her last pap was clear and that was about a month before I started having symptoms.  I've never heard of birth control pills causing a reaction on the male partner and we can't except herpes as a diagnosis since both of us have tested positive, we've remained faithful for almost 3 years and the symptoms just now started to appear coincidentally when she started taking birth control.  I've also never had any food or medicinal allergies my entire life.  Any ideas?  Could it be fungal?  Should I even be on Valtrex?  Is there any topical treatments I should try that would most likely not irritate my condition anymore?      
You need to get any clear visible symptoms swabbed for diagnosis. What you described doesn't sound like herpes, though. Blisters all the way down the shaft of your peen? This just doesn't sound like a herpes presentation.

You should not be treating your "symptoms" until you have a definitive diagnosis. If you start putting topicals on there, any culture is going to get messed up if the symptoms continue.

You mentioned you both tested positive for herpes, though? Did you mean negative? It's a little confusing here.

Maybe she has an untreated fungal infection, but that would be for her doctor to determine on her. You need more work-up on this sitch.