herpes on nipple?
My husband contracted Herpes Simplex 1 in childhood and sometimes gets a cold sore on his lip.  After twenty years of marriage, I believe he has passed it to me on my nipple.  My left breast felt a little tender on Thanksgiving Day.  The next day my nipple looked red and swollen with several white fluid filled blisters on the nipple and aerola.  I am taking Motrin to help with the burning pain and itching, I spray the blistering sores with Bactine a few times a day, and wear a panty liner inside my bra to try to keep it clean and dry.  The lymph node in my left armpit feels a little swollen.  Otherwise I am feeling well. I understand a primary outbreak is more painful and longer lasting that subsequent breakouts.  I am wondering when I should start seeing some improvement and relief from these symptoms.  It has been almost 2 weeks.

I'd stop the bactine. it might be overly irritating for a nipple.

bottom line is it's too late now for a lesion culture if this is herpes. you do need to be seen tomorrow or the next for this for a proper evaluation though. If this isn't herpes related, it might just get worse until properly treated so it's time to follow up better on this.

mostly herpes on the nipples is transmitted by breast feeding babies to their mothers. It's not even all that common so this might very well be something else going on.

grace
Thank you for your advice.  Now I'm wondering if I should call a gynecologist, a dermatologist, or just go to the the local walk-in immediate care center.

By the way, when my youngest daughter was a year old, she started getting cold sores, which I assume she caught from her father (my husband).  I continued nursing her for another year without concern about her passing it to me because I thought by then I had already been exposed to herpes by my husband.  That was eight years ago.  I do wonder why I am just now showing signs of herpes if this is indeed herpes.  Another reason to go and have it checked out I suppose.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again.
your regular doctor is the best place to go for this. you probably won't get in to a dermatologist quickly and a gyn isn't really the best for this either.