Herpes Community
herpes or fungus infection?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes or fungus infection?

I met a man on internet, and we had mutual masturbation. He put my penis with his and rubbed for about 10 seconds, and he jerked me off. He also licked my balls and the base of my shaft. No oral sex or other action. His semen may touched my penis.

On same day after that, I felt some tingling or burning around my penis. It occurred on the foreskin under the head.  It was not itchy, not that hurt, but just mild irritating. I thought maybe he bruised my foreskin a little bit. However, that feeling continued. My foreskin under the head seemed a little red, and it was kind of sticky. My balls skin was also sticky. No itch or hurt, no blisters, but it seemed there were several very tiny bumps under the foreskin on the shaft under the head.  They were firm, not itchy or hurt.

About 4 weeks after exposure, I saw my doctor, and he did blood test for herpes1/2,HepB, chlamydia, gonorrhea,  etc. He said it was not like herpes. It looked like fungus infection. He prescribed Econazole Nitrate Cream for fungus infection. All tests came back negative except HSV1. But I have cold sore since I was a child.

After using the anti-fungus cream for 4 days, I did not see much improvement. My balls looked like shiny, and swelling a little. I saw another doctor, and he checked me over, and also said it was not like herpes. He prescribed Mometasone Furoate Cream USP 0.1% to reduce inflammation. He asked me to use both creams (for fungus and inflammation) at the same time.

I have been using both creams for 3 days now, but don't see any improvement. I am very desperate and think that I must got herpes 2 because it is not fungus infection for sure because the cream does not work.  I know the blood test for herpes 2 was too early to be accurate. I have to wait for 3 more months.

Now is 1 month and 4 days after exposure. Everything is same: little bumps under the foreskin on my shaft, no change at all, irritating feeling and redness on foreskin and balls, no blisters or other stuff.

Could somebody analyze my case, and tell me:
1. Is it possible to be herpes 2 based on my symptoms, or syphilis(my doc did not do syphilis test for me) ?
2. What should I do now to clerify what is going on with me?
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.      
Forgot to mention that I have psoriasis on my fingers. Doc said I may also have genital psoriasis. Do the symptoms sound like genital psoriasis?  That cannot happen exactly same day with the exposure, right?

Thanks.
this does not sound like genital herpes going on. you've also seen 2 providers who don't feel that it's herpes going on either.

The encounter you had was incredibly low risk for any std and we don't recommend any testing from it.  also no std causes symptoms the same day.

grace
Grace,
   Thank you for your prompt response.
   I think I must have got some STD because after using the fungus cream for 6 days, it seems it does not work. Everything is same as before. I must have got something from the exposure. If I got from the exposure, that means it is transmittable. Is fungus a STD? Can I have unprotected sex now? I may ruin my relationship by this.
    Thanks again. I truly appreciate your help.

Tom
it can take awhile to get rid of fungal infections. if your rash is still there next week, follow up again with your provider.
grace,
Thank you so much for being here. I will update with you soon.

Tom
Grace,
    I always have a shiny layer on my balls since I use the cream. Is it normal? It has been 5 weeks since my exposure, and I have been using anti-fungus cream from 8 days. Everything is same as before: no blisters, a little itchy, no pain, red foreskin and balls......
    I started drikng apple cider venigar and eating plain yorgurt yesterday. Are they really helpful? I also try not to eat anything sweet. What other foods are helpful with fungus?
    Again, I want to thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Tom
no drinking vinegar doesn't help with anything. eating yogurt just helps to keep your intestinal flora healthy.

it's not unusual for the skin to look shiny with fungal infections or while treating them.   if it's been a week and things don't look any different, follow up next week with your provider for further work up.
hey man, had a similar experience at my gym [read my posts]w/someone i met there mutual jerkoff and he licked my balls but no insertive oral and i didnt do any oral at all on him but we both had precum on our penis and were stroking each others. the next day [12 hours later] i noticed a discoloration on rim of penis head and have since gotten tiny bumps on head of my penis that sometomes feel like little bites or something and it tingles or twitches a little but not when im hard. idk..anyway they do seem to be getting a little better and i have had no blisters or sores anywhere. seen my doctor and also a urologist and both said its not an std and appeared normal. the thing is its not normal for me and i never had the bumps before. got tested at a week after and results all neg for gono,herpes,hiv and couple others. hope u r ok ive had a hell of a time trying to figure out whats going on with my stuff. was thinking it could be fungal also.??
grace,
    Thank you for your continuous help. I will go see my doc again next Monday, and let you know what happens.

Tom
Hi Jake,
Thanks for sharing your story with me. If possible, please contact with me at ***@****, so we can support each other.

Tom
Jake,
   My name is my yahooaccount. Thanks.

Tom
Hey u can contact me here if u want about whatev. Im trying to figure this sh/# out so I can move on w/my life. Its crazy that Im even having to look at any of this stuff since I never do anything w/o condom or have sex w/strangers. This was an isolated incident and i never thought about getting std's from m/m since there was no insertive sex at all. I gotta say though that this forum has given me alot more knowledge on all of it. I pray alot and hope that I can have my 'normal' life back. Did u get any kind of like purplish red blood vessels along your penis head? Or any kind of bumps that pinch or anything on/around the head? Mine doesn't look that different or anything like when Im peeing next to someone at urinal its not obvious or anything but if I look closely I can see the little bumps and the tiny blood vessel looking discoloration around my head. Its only like 1/2 inch along the rim but it was never there before. Drs. just say it looks normal and idk where to go from here you know? Truly driving me f'ing crazy.
Btw..i didn't get tested for syphillis (syphilis) either for some reason so I think Im gonna.
Hey man, I don't have any blisters, but couples of very tiny hard bumps under the head, and part of foreskin and my balls are reddish. I did test for HIV, HEPb, HEPa, chlamydia, gonorrhea, HSV1/2, syphilis.... Only HSV1 is positive, but I had it since I was a child. I am going to test for HSV2 again. Hope I don't have it. I saw 3 docs, and all of them said it is not like herpes.  
Grace,
    I saw the 3rd doctor today, and he gave me a very thorough check, and he said it looks like psoriasis. I am going to see a dermatologist tomorrow. BTW, he got me tested for HSV2 again. I know it is still too early for accurate result. But just want to see....
   Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Tom
Hey. Yeah i don't/haven't had any blisters either and my incident at the gym [Fu3k!!!] was in april.. Small blood vessel/discoloration still there and stings sometimes for a short time and little bumps on rim/edges of head still there. Seems like the bumps are fading a little but idk. Also the edge of head seems more greyish-pink than the rest of tip. Seriously this is making me crazy. My balls are not red though or swollen although i did find out i have a couple little cysts inside them which are not a prob i guess. Usually when i get up in morning and have a hard on it feels totally normal. Its after i'm up for a while and soft that i get the stinging [in same place] and discomfort [not all the time]. I mite be reading too much on the internet but am thinking i mite have got hpv [which i never f'ing heard of before this started..hello educate us please] from the m/m i had. I read that its a virus that can cause different kinds of warts to grow from the penis to the a'hole that are like little bumps not necesarily the huge ones they show on google and usually people clear the virus on their own in 6 months to a year or possibly two. Here's hoping if i end up having that sh#t that it goes away quickly as jerking off is great but i don't want it to be my only sex! Well hope u get some answers. I'm going to another dr. this week when i can get in.. Jake
I saw a dermatologist today. He checked over me and said maybe I was just allegic to something in the lube we used in masturbation. He suggested that I don't use any cream for 2 weeks. Just clean my proviate area using water and Dove soap (sensitive type, least irritating to body) every day. He said it does not look like anything like STDs. Just wait for 2 weeks and let the skin heel itself.

So, I just wait for a while. Hope eveything back to normal soon. Keep my fingers crossed.

Tom
Jake,
    If you got tested negative  for herpes 3 months after exposure,you are fine. I guess your stress have been keeping your symptoms there. I read a lot on internet, and learned that our stress can play a lot of tricks. Some people had some exposure and think they would have gotten HIV, and they had tons of symptoms same as HIV such as fever, swelling lymp node, weight loss, etc., but they got tested negative even 6 months after exposure. Those people are called worried-well. I think you are also one of the worried-well guys. :D)
    Again, if you got tested negative for herpes after 3 months, just move on. Don;t read those stuff online and check your symptoms everyday, then after a while, all your symptoms will be gone.
    I will get another test at 3 months. I believe I will be negative.
Take care buddy!

Tom

indeed your mind can make you make the proverbial mountains out of mole hills .

glad you are getting some further answers now :)  Hopefully the lil guy is back to normal in a week or two !

grace
Grace,
After stop using any medicine, my symptoms all same as before: tiny bumps,sticky foreskin and testicle, and a little irritation. I don;t think they can go away themselves. Do I still need to use cream for fungus(I can use the mild one)?

I tried to see another dermatologist, but it is so hard to make a quick appointment. I have to wait for about 2 weeks.

This is really torturing. BTW, if it is fungus, it seems there is a way to verify using swab or microscope, right? Thanks.

Tom
yes they can do a skin scraping and look under the microscope.
Hey Tom goin out 2nite to get this sh#t off my mind and kick it. Can't see dr. til nxt wk and not gonna fu#k up another weekend w/this sitting around while everyone goes out. Yeah hoping for the best for u too. Unreal!! i'm circumsized btw i just noticed u said u were havin probs w/foreskin r u uncut? Any probs w/that before w/bacteria or anything? I never have had probs xcept cutting the skin once when i shaved and it took a while to heal. My dick's feelking/looking?a little better i think but not normal at all yet. Balls a little irritated but they get that way sometimes if  i don't shave for a little bit and i have't bc i don't wanna irritate it all if i can help it. Gonna have my bud look at it if i can get the nerve and see what he says i know i would do it for him haha. Let me know whats happenin and hope ur doin good..  Jake
Grace,
   Thank you again for helping me so much and being so patient.
   It has been 7 weeks since my exposure. I saw 3 doctors and 1 dermatologist. I did a lot of STD tests, and all came back normal, including 2 hsv2 tests at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. I know it is still too early to rule out HSV2. All symptoms are still exactly same as before: irritating and red and sticky foreskin under the head and ob testicle, several tiny bumps on shaft(probably ingrown hair), no blisters, no pain, no itch. I used several kinds of creams for fungal/yeast infection, but nothing changed.
   What could that be? Herpes 2? Fungal infection? Psoriasis? Nobody gave an answer. My doctors just told me....'I think it's fungus'. After using cream for 3 weeks, nothing changed. Does that mean it is not fungas? How about herpes? If all symptoms never changed in 7 weeks, could it be herpes? Then what could it be? Grace, what do you think?
   Anyway I still think it is herpes.
   I will see an urologist this Friday, and see what he gonna say.
   Really desperate with it........

Tom    
Jake,
   Yes I am uncut. The problematic part is exactly the part with uncut foreskin and the part where my penis and testicle overlapped: always wet and sticky. Maybe I should use soem baby powder to dry that part?
   I had kind of similar symptom 2 years ago. That time only my foreskin under the head got irritation  and a little sticky. The dermatologist said it was psoriasis. I did not use any medicine, and healed itself in 2 weeks. This time it got much worse. I don't if it is still psoriasis.
   Did you see doc again this week?
   Hope you are getting better buddy.

Tom
doesn't sound like herpes.

continue to follow up as needed. I suggest a dermatologist at this point over an urologist. urologists are more for "plumbing" problems than rashes to be honest.

grace
Grace,
    Thank you so much for letting me know. It is so hard to make appointment with dermatologist. That's why I am going to see a urologist tomorrow. I will see a dermatologist next Wednesday. Now I think maybe I just have psoriasis. I really hope so. Will follow up with you soon. Thanks.

Tom
Grace,
    I saw a urologist yesterday, and just like you said he did not do anything helpful. He gave me 2 pills for anti-fungus only. Today I saw my doc again, and I asked him to do the swab test on fungus. He swabbed on my foreskin and testicle and after checking under the microscope, he said he did not see anything. Maybe be because I took shower before I went to the clinic, and maybe I don't have fungus.
   I will see the dermatologist next Wednesday.
   It is so tough.
Thanks.

Tom
Grace,
    I saw the dermatologist again today, and he checked my private area, and said everything is OK, and I just need 1 or 2 weeks to recover. He did not see anything wrong like psoriasis or fungus. I also got my 3rd herpes test result back (2 months after exposure), and it is still negative. What do you think? Can I move on now or what? I still have a little bit irritation on my foreskin and balls. But it is much better than before. Your input is very important to me because you have been here with me. Thank you so much!

Tom
your symptoms don't sound at all like herpes. really no reason for any further herpes testing.
Grace,
    After 5 months, I still have same symptoms. It does get better a little bit though. I have been using several kinds of creams for fungus and yeast.
    I did another herpes and syphilis test after 4 months, and all came back negative.
    Is fungus or yeast so tough to get rid of? Any suggestions?
    Maybe I just stop using any cream for a while and see?

Thanks.

Tom
I'd follow up with a dermatologist at this point.
Grace,
    Thank you so much. I saw 2 dermatologists so far. One said I didnt have anything, and told me to stop using any creams. The other said that it is just yeast infection. I have been using the cream he prescribed for about 4 weeks, and have not seen much improvement.
    I look forward to hearing from you soon. Really appreciate your help.

Tom
just pick one and keep going back monthly as needed. they can't always figure it out until a little trial and error.
Grace,
   You are right. I will try to make another appointment tomorrow. Thanks.

Tom
Grace,
    I followed up with my 2 dermatologists. One of them did not see anything wrong, and the other just gave me another cream to try.  He told me it is not fungus, it is yeast infection. My 3 family doctors thought it was fungal infection.
   After 5 and half months, not much improvement. Therefore I am still worried about STDs. No herpes for sure, and no syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, HIV, hepB.....they are all ruled out.
   So my question is: With 10s of seconds of skin-to-skin contact, what other STDs are possible? I never had any blisters or bumps. So is there any way I can check for HPV?
   I don't care too much about any dermatological problem as long as it is not STD because I don't want to transmit to my wife. This symptom developed after the incident, so I believe it is the guy who transmitted to me, so it must be some kind of STD.
   I really don't know what to do, and have been stressful for such a long time. Please, please tell me what you think, and what I should do now.
   I really appreciate your help. You have been here with me. Thank you so much.

Tom    
a fungal infection is yeast.  

no reason to think this is a std going on.

Grace,
    How long do HPV symptoms last usually? Thanks.

Tom
months/years
I have had the same thing for the past two months and I'm also worried about it. Have you have any updates?
Hey worrysomuch did u find out what was wrong also numark
yeah any update with your situation guys?