Herpes Community
herpes or yeast infection?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes or yeast infection?

ive been kind of paranoid for the past few weeks.
im eighteen and about two or three months ago i had sex with one of my friends from nursing school. we used a condom for most of it but for about 10-20 seconds he took it off and continued some. this is the only time ive ever had unprotected sex.
the thing is, i didnt really know his past history. i know he is really sexually-active, but as soon as my paranoia started, i talked to his best friend about it and he said as far as he knows, his friend is clean.
but ive still been pretty worried. a few days ago i started being a little itchy in my vaginal area. i had a tiny bit of white, odorless discharge. i woke up this morning and the itching was unbearable. it was also very red and swollen. i used some miconazole cream and its helped the itching calm down since then. i have no visible sores or anything. the itching is right around the vaginal opening. lately my legs have been itching too, but ive related that to dry skin combined with shaving, since its the winter and all. but im still really worried. :/
my mom is picking up some yeast infection medicine later on today, so ill see if that works.
one more thing, ive been on birth control for about a month and i hear that can cause yeast infections?

but im just wondering if i have any risk of herpes or any other STD of that sort. i would go get tested but i dont know how expensive it is for an std test. im kind of low on my own money right now, and im afraid to tell my mom about it.

any advice?
The only way to no for sure is to go to a doctor or clinic.  If it is herpes you will want to start treatment right away.  My first outbreak was unbelievably painful.  I started on an anti-viral within in 48 hours and it helped to shorten the duration of the intense pain.  Call the health department in your area.  Most offer free services or atleast on a sliding scale for payment.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.
thanks. :(
anyone else?
You had unprotected sex. you have discharge and redness. you need to go and be seen and have a proper evaluation done. i would not continue to self treat for yeast because it's more likely to be a bacterial infection than it is fungal in nature. Also condoms are not 100% protection against herpes or hpv either so it's still important to go for follow up.

Most folks will tell you that they are 'clean'.  Most folks just think that if they had something they'd know it and never go for full std testing.  If you shower regularly you are clean but otherwise unless you are getting tested regularly for std's, you know nothing about your std status.  

grace
ive been prone to yeast infections in the past and this seems just like one.
the bad itching was only for that morning and its calmed down since then and isnt that bad at all. just seems like one of the usual infections that goes away with the medicine.
and the redness/swelling was from me scratching at it so much.
assume nothing and go and get examined and tested.

grace