Herpes Community
herpes panic

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes panic

Yes I am freaking out. I'm a 29 yr healthy male.  8.5 weeks ago I had a very brief un-protected vaginal sex encounter. Immediately after the encounter I went to bathroom and washed with soap and water. From this point on I have been stressing over STDs. At first I was checking myself an average of 4 to 5 times a day.  
9 days after potential exposure, I developed an itchy tingle on the side of my right testicles where the pubic hair is thick.  This caused me to stress even more. I started checking about once every 10 minutes, constantly pullig at the hair and stretching my skin. At the point I had found a small red dot. Not raised nor blistered about the size of a pin head. I cut the hair around the spot so I could see it better. This caused other spots to appear, so now I'm really panicking. I go to GP the next day, I tell him what is going on and he examines the whole genital area. No fever, no swollen lymph nodes. Tells me he sees nothing that resembles herpes and that he thinks I'm ok, but to be on the safe side he prescribes 500mg valtrex twice a day. I asked him how do i know if I have it or not. He says "if you got it you'll break out and that it usually attacks the penis shaft. He does test me for typical gon and clam which were negative. He gives me an antibiotic shot anyway.
One week later, after finishing the valtrex, and yes still looking every few hours. I still have itchy feeling and still have red spots, they are scattered the right side of my groin area and all but two are right at hair follicles. Still no blisters, no sores, no oozing. Just red spots. I returned to GP for another exam. He looks close at area and still says that it looks nothing like herpes and if i had it I would atleast have bliaters by now. He takes swab to check for infection, not herpes cause there are no lesions. Prescribes me steroid cream and instruxts me to use it twice a day and keep the area dry. Second day using the cream area became very painful and every hair follicle was red and swollen, I discontinued the cream and next morning area was back to normal but still itched. I made myself quit poking and prodding looking for unusual bumps except for when I took showers and used corn starch to reduce normal friction and keep area dry. Each day the itch would get a little less noticeable and eventually faded after about 4 days. Never once did I develope an actual blistwr,lesion, sore or anything oozie.
Now here is what has me freaked out. 3 weeks ago, I started having this intense itching, burning sensation in my upper pubic hair area, all on the right side above my penis wasn't hat in one spot but was all on the right side. this feeling just started all of a sudden, of course I immediately started probing the area pulling apart my hairs searching for strange bumps. Yes i was checking about once an hr. Again. I trimmed the area so i could better see. The next day I notice three small red spots two I know had small hairs in the middle that I extracted with tweezers and did pinch myself trying to get them the other one did not. I our pwroxide on the bumps and one disappeared te next morning, one was gone I about 4 days and the one I pinched completely healed in a week and now I have a small scare and can see where the hair is growng back under the skin. The itching and burning lasted for about two weeks and everyday I would find a new red spot and within two days it would be gone. They were always scattered about. No real pattern most were near follicles but some were not. Still never any blisters no swollen lymph nodes, no oozing sores, just a general itching sensation and a lot of looking and stress with no sleep. Again I made myself quit looking and the itch started to become less noticeable. Then I had a burning itch in my right hip, not my thigh. It then move to my upper right buttocks near the top of where your hips and saccrum meet. It is no longer an itch but a dull pain. Today has been nearly three weeks and I still have the dull pain. Still I never developed any blisters or lesions and nevee had any oozing sores.
I won't be able to see my dr. again till next Monday but there is nothing for him to swab,he doesnt think I need a blood test because i never had any clear symptoms. I've read all the stories on the internet about how some ppl only have partial symptoms without blisters but most of them are on suppression meds.
My question is: is it common to have the itching and burning and not have blisters even if you are not on suppression therapy?
Are these symptoms indicative of hsv?
Has anybody else out there ever experience the same thing? If so, what was the outcome?
Could all this just be stress and anxiety?

I do plan on having igg blood test sneak next week. sorry for the long post.
you need to call off the crotch watch!! you are your own worse enemy here!! checking hourly and poking and prodding just makes things worse!!!

you've had antibiotics needlessly which can cause fungal infections in the genital area. you've also irritated the skin with your poking, washing and topical steroid use. at this point, just stop everything but the corn starch and once daily bathing. only look at your genital area to aim while urinating.  if you still have symptoms next week, return to be seen again.

you have to wait at least 3 months post encounter for herpes igg blood testing to be accurate.

grace
Thanks for your response Grace. What is your take on the recent burning and itching that just started out of nowhere. Is it common to not be on suppresive medication,have these symptoms and not develop blisters or sores? The itching lasted about ten days.
many things cause itching, not just herpes.
Help the itch is back. To keep you from having to read my long winded first post here is the situation short form:
Aug. 17- unprotected sexual encounter
Aug. 25- developed itching sensation on right testesticle and right groin.
Aug. 28- seen by GP, saw no lesions or sores prescribed valtrex just in case and gave antibiotic shot. Other stds negative. Lots of anxiety and stress because of situation.
Sept 4- return to GP. Have finshed valtrex still itching. Takes swab for yeast and bacteria. Does not share results. Prescribes steroids cream twice daily.
Sept 6- cream breaks entire genital area out. Quit using cream and area is back to normal next morning. Still itching and burning with no blisters or lesions. Start using corn starch to reduce friction.
Sept 17- itch stops, still no blisters or sores.
Sept 29- very severe itching and burning starts, this time on right pubic area above penis. Panic sets in, can't sleep or eat, constantly checking.
Sept 30- notice small red spot slightly raised and scattered. No real pattern. Doesn't hurt at first but became irritated due to my excessive checking.
Oct 2- found new spots. Still intense itching and burning.
Oct 4- first set of spots begin to fade, found two new though. Still itching but no blisters it sores.
Oct 10- itching begins to decrease, still no definite lesions. No new spots.
Oct 11-  now itching in upper right hip
Oct 12- itching is now in upper right buttock. No lesions
Oct 14- very slight discomfort on buttock. All other symptoms ceased.
Today approx 3 hrs. ago- severe itching and burning back at original location on side of right testicle and groin. Also have burning in right upper hip.

If this was herpes would these symptoms return so quickly?
Is it common with herpes to not have any blisters or lesions with the other symptoms? I am not on any suppressive meds and haven't been since the first episode. The Dr. never diagnosed me with herpes. Just said "if you got it youll break out." Can this be an outbreak?
I know you get this all the time, but i'm not usually not a stressful person. All this anxiety is sending me into depression. Can anxiety be causing this itching and burning?
Ok, the pain in my hip and buttocks are getting worse. Plus the itching on my testicle is not getting better. Does herpes symptoms last this long and re-occur this fast?
you should be seen. nothing I can assist you with at this point with all of this.
ok, I recieved my IGG type specific blood test results. I know it is recommended that you wait 12 weeks before getting tested, but I couldn't deal with the anxiety of not knowing and got tested at 9 weeks. The results were HSV-1 <0.90 Negative and HSV-2 <0.90 Negative. Don't get me wrong, I do feel relieved that they were negative. At 9 weeks without any previous exposures to neither 1 or 2, can I rest assured that these results are accurate?
you would've had a very "classic" herpes ob since you are negative for hsv1 previously. no reason to think you contracted herpes since you haven't had any real herpes related symptoms so I wouldn't bother with more testing.
I need some advice again. Ok, the itchy, burning feeling came back in the exact same spot on my upper pubic area and also in my right hip and upper right buttocks again. It has been ongoing now for 8 days and I still haven't seen a clear cut lesion or blister. After your last post I had put away the thought of having herpes until now. I found where taking anti virals would cause delay seroconversion if taken from the gitgo.
In your opinion, would the 5 day regimen of 500mg twice daily of Valtrex I took at 2 weeks post exposure have caused my IGG test at 9 weeks to be a false negative? You stated that since I do not have a previouse case of HSV1 that I would have "classic herpes ob". That makes since and I keep telling myself that. I'm just at wits end. Do I need to have another IGG blood test done?
no, a round of antivirals wouldn't affected your testing.

have you been seen again for your new symptoms?
Not for this round of symptoms, I was seen the last time and given more antibiotics. The symptoms went away for a while, and then 9 days ago came back in the same spot. Me and my Dr. discussed Zoster but it is hard for him to say yes or no due to the fact i've never had a definite rash or blister. He did say that some ppl however do not develop the blisters with herpes.  But with the information you have giving me about no previouse HSV1 and the anti virals not affecting my testing. I believe it isn't Simplex. Just not sure what else it could be. Thanks for all your help grace.
zoster wouldn't come and go like this.

herpes simplex wouldn't be on this large of an area with a recurrence.

is the skin red or anything?
It is not all one area, it is actually three different small areas. The main one is the pubic hair area, the other one is high on my right hip, under my waistband and the third is on my upper right buttocks, near the top of my saccrum. The only area that show redness is in my pubic hair, but the redness comes and goes but the itchy, burning feeling is constant. Has been lasting about 10 to 14 days and then I don't notice. Last time it did this was late october. The redness could just be from me scratching and looking.
it's all the same nerve band that your symptoms are in.

how tight are your pants?  No really , sometimes things like that put pressure on the nerves and cause us issues.  
Relaxed fit, don't wear tight pants, and don't carry a wallet in back pocket either. I am fairly active, not alot of just sitting. But I see your point on the nerve band and pressure. I guess I'm just going to have to follow some of your advice to others and just go to the dr. everytime I have a symptom until something gives. It just seems strange how it just starts the itch out of nowhere and is always in the same spots.
would think a contact dermatitis but you really don't have much of  a rash that goes on with it.   perhaps a neurology consult might be helpful at this point.