Herpes Expert Forum
herpes questions

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

herpes questions

I am a married man who took a herpes test recently and am positive for hsv 1. I have been surfing the web and find all kinds of conflicting info. I have never had symptoms and neither has my wife. What do I need to be aware? My dr told me to forget about it and that i have no symptoms and a lot of people have it and its no big deal. I am worried about my kids and wife, we have shared untensils and I have kissed them. What about shedding?  I am looking for info and your advice. Do I need to worry about symptoms ?  I am confused because my Dr says just live my life

I completely agree with your doctor.  
First, why did you take a herpes antibody test?
Fifty six percent of the US population between 14-49  has HSV 1.  Has your wife ever had a cold sore in her life? If yes, then she has HSV 1.  Or she could be infected and not know it.  Also, we don't know if you have HSV 1 orally or genitally if you've had no symptoms in either location.
But let's get back to why you took the test.

Terri
My wife and I went to a party the other night and we shared a bottle of champagne with everyone and discovered one of the persons has herpes. I had flu like symptoms for a week with a sore throat . Dr said I was over thinking everything and ordered a igG test, too ease our fears , well we were all shocked when it came back positive . Now we are very worried about our children and if our life will change. Reading others threads it says that it takes weeks to show antibodies and also if this is the case why was this test ordered and can it be from this exposure since the test was ordered 12 to 13 days after , we are very green with this, and very scared .
OK, I see.  Your doctor is correct - if you indeed have HSV 1 infection, it didn't come from this contact.  You don't get herpes by sharing a bottle of champagne with someone who has herpes.  You could have had this since you were a child!  As your wife been tested? If indeed both of you have herpes, then this is not an issue at all.  If you have never had a cold sore in your life, then we cannot know if your infection is oral or genital.

Terri
I have 2 more questions, what about all this news about herpes affecting memory and causing Alzheimer's ? My next question is do I have to worry about my kids getting this from me?  
We don't have enough information yet to answer that question.

Terri