Herpes Community
herpes saliva question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes saliva question

I am a 25 year old male, I have never had a cold sore on my mouth or genitals.
Today, I received oral sex with a condom on.  Quickly, I noticed some type of sore on the girls lower cheek/chin area.  Not on her lips directly.   It should be noted that this was a high risk female... I have thoroughly searched these forums, and fully understand that protected oral sex is exceedingly safe, and that masturbating with saliva is not a significant risk for contracting Herpes. However, there is not much discussion about saliva while someone has active cold sores, so-  My question(s) are:

a.) Does Oral Herpes ever show up an inch or more away from the lips?  Could this sore have been something entirely different?  She had makeup over it, so its difficult to say that it looked exactly like a cold sore, but it was definitely suspect.

b.) Assuming it was a cold sore, what is the risk that her saliva that touched the unprotected base of my penis, was carrying Oral Herpes?  Does it truly require direct contact or friction to get infected, or is the saliva enough?

c.) Does saliva have to touch the actual sore for it to carry the virus, or is it active in saliva whenever a sore is present?

d.) what is the risk of contracting herpes if this sore did brush up against my pelvis, scrotum?

Thank you very much.
Sorry, in addition-

e.) if no lesions appear within 10-20 days is it safe to assume that I did not contract anything, or can the virus be latent for a period of time before the first outbreak?

THANKS!!!!!!!
no way for us to know what was going on with this gal. your risk was very low. Unless you develop genital symptoms in the next 2-20 days, no reason for any testing from this encounter.  

grace
Thank you very much.  Is there a chance that you could address my questions about Saliva though??  If so, I would appreciate it very very much.  FInal question...
saliva on the skin isn't a good way to transmit herpes.