Herpes Community
herpes sympotms without blisters?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes sympotms without blisters?

Four days after receiving unprotected oral sex (and nothing else) from a CSW, I developed an itchy, red, slightly burning rash on the scrotum.  It has persisted now for 2.5 weeks and it is very uncomfortable.  There is nothing on the penis itself.  I am worried I might have acquired Herpes, although I have not had any characteristic blisters.  So, I have a question I can't seem to get straight about initial Herpes outbreaks:

Can an initial, symptomatic, outbreak result in a rash on the scrotum and thighs only (i.e. no blisters at all)?  I find conflicting info on this.  People on these forums have suggested Herpes could be a culprit for any sort of genital irritation since it affects people so differently.  However, I saw a doctor when I got an STD test at 7 days (not for Herpes, obviously).  He looked at the rash and said it didn't look like Herpes and informed me that if I was having a Herpes outbreak I would see blisters (and probably on the penis, not the scrotum).  It was diagnosed as Jock's Itch, but the antifungal doesn't seem to be working and the coincidence seems so huge.  I have never had a fungal groin infection in my life, and now I get one 4 days after a risky sexual encounter?  Also, I have read from many sources that mild Herpes outbreaks are commonly misdiagnosed as Jock's Itch.  So, what's the verdict?  Could this be Herpes?  Should I abstain until 12 weeks so I can get a blood test?
While the oral is definitely low risk for std transmission, it is possible. To answer your question, when I was infected I had bizarre symptoms in my genital areas but no blisters so its hard to say. I would say if you want to be absolutely safe, then yes abstain 12 weeks and get the blood test. You might want to see a dermatologist in the mean time though check out the rash....
Thanks verysaddude.   I have read that symptoms are typically mild when one has oral hsv2 or genital hsv1.  Is yours hsv1 or hsv2?  Do you think the type of ambiguous initial outbreak you (and maybe I) had is more common after contracting the disease from oral due to this phenomenon?
Mine is hsv2...as far as if its more common that way its hard to say...I read and hear about so many different variations that its really tough to know whats what if you don't have the classical symptoms....
I always wonder why folks don't get symptoms tended to - it's truly what to do, first and foremost. Two and a half weeks and no exam?

See your medical provider. Why sit on a web board speculating? Only a proper exam and/or testing can tell you what's going on. Aside from that, your symptoms sound more like fungal , yeast, or bacterial,  or psychosomatic from having sex with a hooker.

And, if you don't know your own STD/herpes status, get tested.
Like I said in the original post, I did see a doctor about this and was prescribed antifungal medication for Jock's Itch.  As far as testing for Herpes, it is worthless unless 1) you have a sore in order to do a swab culture, or 2) you wait 12 weeks to have a gG specific blood test.
Nope - you could have a blood test now. It would technically tell you what your herpes status was prior to the sexual encounter. If negative, then you'd get another IgG at 16 weeks. Your doctor didn't think it was herpes; follow-up with him/her if you are still having symptoms.
what were your symptoms and when did your blood test get taken after exposure.
Did you ever have the Western Blot to confirm your HSV2 status? I noticed Terri had suggested it based on your low positive IgG, but didn't see you had it done.
To paytonrulz34,
my symptoms initially were itching all over in random spots, burning sensation and pinching like pain in random areas, small bumps which were diagnosed as folliculitus (folliculitis) on arms, legs, chest, back and penis..and general irritation in the genital area..I also had muscle twitching all over....(I have never any of this before, but it developed after having sex with this HSV2 positive female)...my symptoms have been ongoing since March...(the burning and muscle twitching have decreased tho but still occur) but the rest still continue....

I have been to numerous doctors (infectious diease, dermatologists, internal medicine, even neuro with MRI and EMG)...they all tell me that HSV2 is not causing these issues but are unable to tell me what is...its depressing! I took the HSV2 blood test 7 and 9 weeks after exposure...the 7 week test was 1.6 and the 9 week test was 1.5....

To Petal
I have had an unbelievably difficult time getting the Western Blot test plus at this point, I assume that my low positives were a result of being tested on 7 to 9 weeks after being infected. I think if I test now, it will probably be a strong positive...plus I had one small spot on my penis that really hurt so I assume that was a outbreak maybe....
The first thing I  thought when reading your post was fungal infection. You've been seen by a trained medical professional who thought the same thing. oral sex is a very common contributor to genital fungal infections.  Really no reason to think genital herpes based on your symptoms and you had that confirmed with an actual exam.  

grace
assume nothing. get retested and know your status for sure for once and for all.  I know you've been hanging around here long enough to know the importance of doing so as well as I'm sure you've seen how many low positives that on confirmatory testing come back as negative so it's well worth doing.

wouldn't it be a shame if you thought you had hsv2 and you didn't and you hooked up with a hsv2+ partner and really got it later on?

grace
how long does it take to show if u have herpes?  and can a person be exposed to it from yrs ago and now show?
I'm so curious if you ever had a confirmation test.