Herpes Community
herpes type 1 or 2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes type 1 or 2

Hello.  I have had herpes type 1 for as long as I can remember getting a cold sore every so often.  Recently, I drank some soda that was in a can that my sister with herpes type 2 had been drinking from.  I did not realize that she had blisters all over her mouth and I poured the soda from the can into a clean glass and drank it.  Within 2-3 days, I had four big and painful blisters on my lower lip and little tiny white bumps forming on my top lip.  I went to my family doc and he perscribed Valtrex so I took two dosages within 12 hour period.  The tiny bumps did not form into a big blister and they never hurt but I still have them two weeks later.  The larger painful ones cleared up within a few days.

Is it possible to have contracted herpes type 2 from drinking this soda?
Would a newly exposed herpes 2 virus show blisters or symptoms within 3 days?
What should I do for the little white bumps on my top lip that don't seem to change?  No smaller, no bigger- just there.
SHould I go back to my family doc or would a dermatologist be better?
Is there a test to determine if herpes type 2 caused the outbreak on my lips?

Thank you so much for your help.  
herpes 2 from your sister who has HSV2 who poured a can of soda into a glass that you drank? Not a chance in hell is that herpes!!! I think the world would be HSV+ from that transmission way if possible.
How can I be sure that it was a herpes type 1 outbreak?  In the past, I've only had one sore at a time and this time there were many. What should I do for the little white bumps on my top lip that don't seem to change?  No smaller, no bigger- just there.  Please help.
I don't think what your sister and you have is herpes at all.  You need to go to your provider and get a more thorough exam. So should your sister!  It could be another virus ( which explains why it transmitted so easily ) or it could be bacterial.  Let your provider know that you have hsv1 already and how the contact occured.

Your sisters hsv2 is most likely just genital and unless you are coming in contact with her genital area you aren't going to contract it from her.  

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers