Herpes Community
herpes vs shingles

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes vs shingles

hi there,

my gf just had an outbreak of a rash in the middle of her back. previous to the onset of the rash, she experienced a backpain which has continued till today (D+5).  

Also she is feeling a general malaise that comes and goes with recurrent headaches.
From time to time (every other year) she gets cold sores in her lip, but this time its bigger and in the middle of the back.

She believes its shingles, but she's no sure.  She went to demarthologist and really did not specify
what type of herpes she had.

I'm afraid in two levels :
1) can this be a form of genital herpes even if is not in the genital area?
2) she has shingles which means her inmune system is weak caused by something even more serious.

how can we distinguish the type of herpes she has? she refuses to take a test.
the only way to tell is to get the area swabbed.
I encourage you both to seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to see who has what. you can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take together for sex until you know each others statuses.

did the dermatologist do any testing?

grace
hi grace,
dermathologist just quickly prescribed acyclovir or something.
she just also show me some scattered rash in her left foot (smaller), however, they dont itch nor hurt.
Do the locations and symptoms resemble one specific type of herpes?

i'm scare to death now as i feel i might just transmitted something, eventhough i dont have any symptoms.

I will do an STD screening to see if i have something.  then i will try to encourage her to go and get tested.
the dermatologist erred in just visually diagnosing the rash as either herpes or shingles. testing to find out which is very easy and affordable and it's poor medicine to not follow up properly :(

make your gf go for herpes igg blood testing with you. sticking her head in the sand about it all isn't in her best interest or yours.
i will grace, thanks!

even if not totally reliable, are these location of the rash and symptoms indicative of one type of herpes?

no they are not - it can be hsv1, hsv2 or shingles in that area.