Aa
A
A
Close
herpes
what do you recommend. there are a lot of different types of medications . how about red aglee or any natural stuff. versus valtrex.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
101028 tn?1419606604
red algae wasn't shown to have any effect on herpes in humans. In the petri dish sure it looked promising - then again in the petri dish - even soap is effective against herpes.

To me if you are in a discordant relationship ( one partner has hsv2 , the other doesn't ) your money is best spent on a herpes antiviral. If you have good insurance or can afford it - go with valtrex. You can't beat the convenience of once daily dosing and it's probably a little better drug than famvir ( longer time until shedding resumes when taking it suppressively ).  Famvir is now generic but still pricey. You have to take it twice a day. Some doc's prefer it but it's really not worth the price and twice a day effort unless you don't seem to be getting good results from valtrex/acyclovir.  Acyclovir is the original oral herpes antiviral and is available as a cheap generic.  You have to take it twice a day but to me - it's well worth it for the difference in price ( yep I"m just as poor as everyone else! ).  The reason I recommend the antivirals so highly is - they not only effectively reduce the number of ob's you have - they also effectively reduce viral shedding which is the real issue in a discordant relationship.  I'm a fan of putting your money where you get the  most out of it!!!

If you don't have a partner or both partners have hsv2 so that transmission isn't an issue - if you want to waste money on other treatments go for it. In the 8 years I've been doing the support boards I've yet to see any product that consistantly works for everyone. Most of them are far more expensive/time consuming than generic acyclovir to boot.

grace
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources