herpesgladitorium
my son has a severe case of herpes gladitorium. he is taking famvir, but he is in
an extreme amount of discomfort, what can I do for him?
Is he in sports? How was he diagnosed?  if he is in sports - be sure to talk to his coach about any precautions they recommend he takes from here on out. If he's a wrestler - many teams have guidelines about the players with known herpes infections going on suppressive therapy during the season or summer camps etc.  

The famvir will help speed healing of lesions from the inside but there are many topical things you can try too for pain relief for your son. First of all don't be stingy with the tylenol and advil unless he has medical reasons to be ( and don't hesitate to call for prescription pain relievers too if need be ) .  You can alternate tylenol and advil to get pain relief comparable to some narcotics - ie tylenol at 6am, advil at 9am, tylenol at noon, advil at 3pm etc. I'm not sure how old your son is or how much he weighs to suggest doses.

soaking in the tubby with epsom salts, aveeno bath or even baking soda several times a day is also helpful.

Dermoplast spray. it's a spray on topical anesthetic you can find at most stores. you could also use solarcaine.  

Don't hesitate to give him some benadryl too for bedtime for him to help him sleep and help with itching/pain.  

Hope he's feeling better soon :)